General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Accord question, hear me out

Old 12-30-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kdj997 is an unknown quantity at this point
Accord question, hear me out

This Transmission Range switch is a headache. I have to search for Neutral Safety to find it on ebay and come across a mass of confusion. These two look similar will there be a problem if I got the cheaper one I have a 4 cylinder engine and automatic transmission. I see the cheaper one seems to be for a v6, do any of you experts know if that will make a difference, from my experience I wouldn't think so but I'm gonna defer to more experienced people to before I buy one. It's a huge difference for what looks like the same part

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Neutral-...-/112201531704

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neutral-Safe...-/191799403378
Old 12-30-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accord question, hear me out

"Looks similar" doesn't mean it's right for YOUR car.

"Cheaper" is just a waste of money and time if it isn't correct for YOUR car and doesn't work right.
Most places won't take back electrical parts after they have been opened or plugged in.

If you want half a chance that it will work correctly, buy the correct part the first time.

Look it up in an online Honda dealer parts catalog to get a correct Honda part number and search from there?
Old 12-30-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
"Looks similar" doesn't mean it's right for YOUR car.

"Cheaper" is just a waste of money and time if it isn't correct for YOUR car and doesn't work right.
Most places won't take back electrical parts after they have been opened or plugged in.

If you want half a chance that it will work correctly, buy the correct part the first time.

Look it up in an online Honda dealer parts catalog to get a correct Honda part number and search from there?
It's two different part numbers but I'm trying to see the difference because they both can be used for a 1998 odyssey so it seems like a parts racket to me. If these two parts are interchangeable like that, you have to think. You shouldn't just follow like a sheep and say well they must be difference, in my vast life experiences I know that in most cases there may not be a difference. If there is however I would like to know cause it would only help me and others gain knowledge. It's a simple electronic sensor, it doesn't have a control module so how different can it be especially if it's interchangeable in a vehicle
Old 12-31-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Accord related, not a civic, so moving to general section.

Compare part numbers. If different, they have differences. Period.
If you want to try, just go ahead and do it.

Report back with results.
Old 12-31-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Accord related, not a civic, so moving to general section.

Compare part numbers. If different, they have differences. Period.
If you want to try, just go ahead and do it.

Report back with results.
Yeah the part numbers are different but it seems to be a racket cause I've searched long and hard and no one seems to be able to point out what the differences are especially since they are both able to be used on 98 Odyssey's of all engines. It seems kind of like the emperors new clothes and a way to steal money from folks. That's why I'm asking for any expert help who know cars inside and out and can let me know what the differences are
Old 12-31-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just looking at 98 accord v6 and 4 cyl trans wiring diagrams, they both use the same wiring (in the diagram) for the range switch so the switch will probably be a physically different configuration.

Buy both and compare side by side
Old 12-31-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Just looking at 98 accord v6 and 4 cyl trans wiring diagrams, they both use the same wiring (in the diagram) for the range switch so the switch will probably be a physically different configuration.

Buy both and compare side by side
The switches look the same, the same number of pins and everything. Me and the guy from o'rileys were comparing them..it's looking like a racket to steal money to me, a $40 process difference seems ridiculous and unnecessary but I'll order it and see what happens....at the last minute I'll probably ***** out and do the more expensive one just to avoid an issue. It's just money so who cares

Search this Thread