General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Civic, maybe, Engine Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joat1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic, maybe, Engine Help

First post here though I have been lurking for a while now. I have a problem and wanted to see if I could get any input.

I have a '99 Civic LX I bought about a year and a half ago. I had the engine replaced several months ago but I'm having trouble determining what kind of engine was installed. I was originally told it came out of an '04 EX that had several mods. The ECM failed and I had to have that installed but now I'm being told it was an Integra motor and was then told D33 block.

I want to sell the car but need to know what the hell pushes it up the road in order to do so. It's quite fast as I mentioned but this is my first Honda and my first mod. I'm trying to get some info before I go back and ask him to specify to prevent being lied to, or so that's the hope.

I'll answer any questions I can and appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic, maybe, Engine Help

Look at the engine block stamp. Facing the engine, it should be to the left of the exhaust manifold, right next to where the engine connects to the transmission

Name:  honda1.jpg
Views: 3055
Size:  46.1 KB

Here it's shown on a B series, but it'll be in the same location on a D series.

If it says "D17A2" then it came out of an 01-05 civic EX.

edit: If you really feel like figuring out exactly what car it came from, there may be a VIN plate on the backside of the engine block. When I swapped my engine, there was a green plate with the original car's VIN on it. A quick google search showed me similar plates on the backside of other engines, as well, so unless someone can say otherwise, I'm gonna say it should be green. Will likely be difficult to see that plate with the engine installed, but it's another identification marking. You can take that VIN an plug it into VIN decoders (or go to www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and enter the VIN there so you can find OEM replacement parts for that specific vehicle) and figure out what it came from.
Old 10-22-2016
Registered!!

Thank you sir.
Old 10-24-2016
Registered!!

Did the Civic and the Integra have the same engine block from 2000-2005?
Old 10-24-2016
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

2000 civic came equipped with the following
d16y7 (dx/lx/cx) - 1.6L SOHC
d16y8 (ex) - 1.6L SOHC VTEC
b16a2 (usdm Si/Canadian SiR) - 1.6L DOHC VTEC

2001-2005 civics came equipped with
D17A1 (dx/lx) - 1.7L SOHC
D17a2 (ex) - 1.7L SOHC VTEC
k20a3 (USDM Si/Canadian SiR) - 2.0L DOHC i-VTEC

00-01 tegs came with a b18c[x] engine, all 1.8L DOHC

In 2002, acura renamed the integra in North America and sold it as the RSX, which came with
k20a3 (base)
k20a2 (type-s)
k20a (type-r)
All of which are 2.0L DOHC i-VTEC engines
Old 10-24-2016
Registered!!

Ok, this is a SOHC but the mechanic told me the Civic and Acura used the same block between 00-05. So I guess I just need to find the stamp and go from there. Hard to sell a car when you don't even know what the hell is under the hood.
Old 10-24-2016
Administrator
Administrator

Find a different mechanic
Old 10-24-2016

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Find a different mechanic

yeah, that's basic knowledge stuff for a mechanic. I wouldn't let him touch my car.
Old 10-24-2016
Registered!!

Yep, he's a long time friend so I'm trying to do my due diligence and make sure that he's really blowing smoke. I hate being deceived.
Old 10-24-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stock 99

yeah, that's basic knowledge stuff for a mechanic. I wouldn't let him touch my car.
Hey, as a professional in the trade for decades already, more than half the stuff you all think we (mechanics) should know is completely unnecessary when it comes to fixing ordinary stock cars.

I didn't know jack about all these Honda fanboy terms until I started hanging around the forums, and it's taken years to remember any of it...because I don't use any of it at work.

Originally Posted by Joat1977
Yep, he's a long time friend so I'm trying to do my due diligence and make sure that he's really blowing smoke. I hate being deceived.
So this 99 sounds like a homesick abortion so far.
Did you find out what code is on your engine?
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

No, but he just told me, to my face that it's a D22 and that Honda and Acura both ran them from 00-04. I think I'm going to pick it up, go to the local Honda dealership and find a tenured guy and offer cash for him to tell me wtf I have.
Old 10-25-2016
Administrator
Administrator

wtf is a D22? lol

The biggest D series honda made was a d17 (1.7L). The biggest D series I've seen (well, not in person) was a D17 bored to 1.8L, and that's the user maxtierney here on these forums.

Intricacies aside (which, I fully support ezone's statement where not all mechanics know honda engines like us fanboys do), if a mechanic, like the one mentioned by OP, tries to sling some crap like "oh, you for sure have a D22, which was used by 00-05 civics," thereby feigning a deep understanding of Honda engines, only to be easily disproven by us fanboys, then yeah, I still stand by my original statement of "find a new mechanic," despite the previous friendship between OP and said mechanic.

AFAIK, the only 4-cyl 2.2L engines Honda has in their cars are the H22 and F22.

I'd say default to my original post of finding the engine stamp. Post it up here, and we can tell you what car/years/trim levels it came from.
Old 10-25-2016
Registered!!

I'm tying to get him to text me back, so I have some record of the conversation. He did just verify that it's a SOHC which I believe rules out the F and H 22
Old 10-25-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have a '99 Civic LX I bought about a year and a half ago.
DO you have this car in your possession?
Old 10-26-2016
Administrator
Administrator

There would be a lot of custom fab work to fit anything but a B or D series in that bay
Old 10-26-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
DO you have this car in your possession?
It's at his shop right now. Going to pick it up tomorrow. As far as I know he hasn't caught on to my knowing something isn't right. I'm trying to play dumb while I continue to do my research.
Old 10-26-2016
Registered!!

So I called and told him I needed to pick the car up and was could I couldn't until then I'll was paid. While that's generally standard practice I don't feel l should have to pay anything until I know the truth. This about to turn ugly. I called a local Honda factory dealer and they're going to help me do some research. I'm trying to give this dude an easy out, but the lies continue to mount as my patience dwindles.
Old 10-26-2016

Shoulda taken a pic of the engine for us.
Old 10-27-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Shoulda taken a pic of the engine for us.
When I gain access to it I will. I've enlisted the help of a huge Honda dealership but we're all stuck until I get the car back. I'm taking things to the next level tomorrow if I don't get what I want.
Old 10-29-2016
Registered!!

Well I gave them a chance to come clean and they opted for legal action. Final deadline is 1700 Monday for them to comply with my wishes or I'm throwing the book at them. I've found out a lot more now and the entire thing has been a scam.
Old 10-29-2016
Administrator
Administrator

Whoa.. That escalated quickly. Now I'm genuinely curious about your dealings with this mechanic.

What did you bring the car to him for?
What has he done to the car?
What monetary compensation is he requesting?
Old 10-30-2016
Registered!!

Well it goes back to an engine swap about a year ago when he told me that's what it needed. No I doubt that may have actually been the case. I need the VIN off that engine to verify that. This time the car cut off on me and he said the ECM was fried and he had a buddy pull some strings to get it replaced for just under 600, there were a couple other small things in there as well and I can't remember what they were. Anyway I told him not to repair yet because I wanted to weigh my options. I've already done 2000 in work to a car I bought for 2200 and is already 17 years old. He repaired it anyway. Now they won't give me the car until the bill is paid. But it's more than that, it's not about me not trusting anything he's done since the original engine work. The bill now is 400 because I had paid for a Borla exhaust and it was never done, so I had that as a credit.