General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What socket sizes do I need for working on a Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicenthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
What socket sizes do I need for working on a Civic?

Hi everyone, I'm very eager to start working on my civic, problem is I'm new to this and would like some clarification so I don't waste money on things I don't need. Specifically with sockets. From what I understand I'll need 1/4"-1" or 6mm-19mm combo wrench set, and I'd like to buy a socket set that includes what I need, and I couldn't find anything on google that told me all the sockets I'd need. I have an impact driver, and apparently you need impact sockets because chrome can shatter or something. Could I get a hex socket set or just get normal impact sockets and use a socket adapter? I've seen 1/4 -3/4 sets for sale etc and I'm not sure what sizes I'll need. I'd like to know the sizes needed before I get my repair manual and start working on things. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What socket sizes do I need for working on a Civic?

99% of the car will use some form of 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 mm wrenches/sockets/etc.....as equipped from the factory. Humans could replace fasteners with god-knows-whatever-was-handy-in-a-pinch.

Axle nuts are bigger.
Just start collecting tools, buy sets as you discover what you need.

1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch drive for ratchets and sockets is most common....... I do this for a living and I have no need for 3/4" drive stuff on most car stuff.

For laughs, here's just ONE drawer from my toolbox (before splitting up socket stuff into two different toolboxes and organizing a little better)

Name:  tN7tYLa.jpg
Views: 2178
Size:  807.7 KB
Old 07-08-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've needed a random 13mm once or twice. I forget if I've used a 21 or not. Axle nuts are something like 30 or 32mm.

Crows feet, torque wrenches, combo wrenches (I have a set of ratcheting ones as well, and they've been a godsend). I'm pretty sure you can take apart the engine with 10, 12, 14, and 19mm sockets/wrenches
Old 07-08-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ah, no need for the O2 sensor one for the primary (my secondary one might still be stock, so no idea...)

now for the specialty one? oh, boy... ball joints, pulley pullers, etc...
Old 07-08-2016
Registered!!

So I'm thinking of getting an adapter for my impact driver:
https://www.amazon.com/Impact-Adapte...Socket+adapter

And then get a set like this:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...-0581228p.html

This specific set seems to include 17mm etc at least three times I guess for 3/8 and 1/2 but I'm not sure what the third one is for, and do I need to have both or could I just get a set with 1/2 drive for instance? (sorry if these are dumb questions lol I'm really new to this)

I've also seen plenty of people selling their sets on craigslist for cheap. Perhaps I could buy a few impact sockets only for things I would need for my impact driver (lugs nugs, radiator fastener things like that), then get a big 200+ set of normal chrome sockets that usually include ratchets etc used for cheap?
Old 07-08-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You seem like you are trying to prepare for the Apocalypse, but is there anything really wrong with the car that needs attention right now?

Pawn shops are usually a good place to find tools for cheap too.

If you buy new, look for well known name brands with lifetime guarantee
Old 07-08-2016

Not anything I'd buy.
Might be handy if you stick it in a drill to speed things up a little bit, but don't try to use them for real power.

A hand held impact driver, the type you smack with a hammer, is only good for breaking stuff loose, and I pretty much only use it for brake rotor set screws and door latch screws that use #3 Philips screws because you can't get leverage on those without having the bit jump out and ruin the screw slots. (I actually have other tools that handle those much quicker so I rarely use the hand impact anymore)

Really isn't much use for it on anything else IMO, as every fastener that has a hex head you can use real leverage on.

Starter set.
For the Honda you won't have need for the SAE sizes, just metric. However those sizes still come in handy for other things.

PS that CT website sucks. Constantly reloading the page for no apparent reason.

Last edited by ezone; 07-08-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2016
Registered!!

Yeah no lol I just want to have everything I need and I've seen sets for cheap so might as well get them rather than collecting what I need over time. Mastercraft (lifetime) and jet tools are the most common that I've seen, though if there are any brands you would recommend I can look out for them. Craftsman sells wrench sets pretty cheap though not sure they last. Are there any brands to absolutely avoid?
Old 07-08-2016

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly... I've owned a '99 Civic for almost seven years now and all I've had to do is regular maintenance. Plus upper control arms and shifter bushings.

14mm for oil pan, spark plug wrench, 8,10,12mm wrenches, 19mm for the wheel lugs, oil filter wrench... could last you a long time. I use a 3/8" inch drive or box end wrenches for almost everything and a 1/2" torque wrench for wheel lugs.

Impact wrench for wheel axle nut and crank bolt but they are both bigger than what you would find in an average set and probably better off just buying individually.
Old 07-08-2016

I don't know why the system keeps ghosting your posts.

Craftsman is a good name, most are lifetime guaranteed.
I started out with mostly Craftsman tools, then started buying off the tool trucks.

....but Sears itself seems to be circling the drain here. Our town lost Sears and Kmart is closing up next. I'll have to drive almost an hour if I need something warranted now.
If I break a Craftsman tool, I have been replacing it with a Snap on or Matco lately.

Are there any brands to absolutely avoid?
YES.
Old 07-08-2016
Registered!!

https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-R86035.../dp/B00Z7BSFY0
This is my impact driver, the only reason I got it because reviews said it has enough power to take off lug nuts. 4.0ah batteries are suppose to give more power, here's a comparison video I found:
Old 07-08-2016
Registered!!

So based on your guy's feedback 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19 (maybe 21) 30, 32 is really all I'll ever need. Then a set of 6-19mm combination wrenches, ratchets, torque wrench etc etc.
Old 07-08-2016
Registered!!

Did my other replies not post? When will I be able to post without moderator approval each time?
Old 07-08-2016

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Any of the lifetime Canadian Tire stuff (mastercraft) is fine. I've done straight over the counter repair and replacement with Canadian Tire no questions asked. They are very good that way.
Old 07-08-2016

Originally Posted by civicenthusiast
Did my other replies not post? When will I be able to post without moderator approval each time?
Unghosted posts again.
Probably because you are including links in your posts, the system automatically makes a moderator manually check for spam.

Stop posting links for a while and see if that gets it to quit doing it.

That impact gun drives hex bits? NOW I get it LOL
I'd go for 3/8" or 1/2" square drive gun. More versatile once you get enough sockets and more powerful if you shop right.

I don't think there are any 21mm fasteners on the cars. I have use for the larger sizes on newer cars and other brands, and after they are bigger than about 22mm I sometimes just use standard sizes....as 'close enough'.
Old 07-09-2016
Registered!!

Well I already have this impact driver, should I just sell it and get something with a 1/2 drive or can I use the adapter I linked previously and use it like that? I don't understand why I can't just do that because I really don't want to sell it and get another one... Are the hex bits going to break or something?

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Any of the lifetime Canadian Tire stuff (mastercraft) is fine. I've done straight over the counter repair and replacement with Canadian Tire no questions asked. They are very good that way.
If I were to buy a Mastercraft set used, would I still be able to get replacements? I've seen some good like new/used sets for pretty cheap.
Old 07-09-2016
Registered!!

Also you said there were brands to absolutely avoid, is there a list you could direct me to? That would be handy when looking for used tools.
Old 07-09-2016

I have walked into Canadian Tire with a broken tool in my hand and they simply replaced it without asking me any questions or proof of purchase. I've hammered on some of their tools pretty good over the years though and very rarely ever broken one.
Old 07-09-2016

Well I already have this impact driver, should I just sell it and get something with a 1/2 drive or can I use the adapter I linked previously and use it like that? I don't understand why I can't just do that because I really don't want to sell it and get another one... Are the hex bits going to break or something?
Nah. Use the driver as much as you can.....until you discover it can't handle the job you needed it to do. Then look at upgrading if you want.

I look at tool choices differently from the way you're looking at them. I rely on the tools I buy to make my living, you probably don't. My needs aren't the same as yours.

Also you said there were brands to absolutely avoid, is there a list you could direct me to? That would be handy when looking for used tools.
Sorry, no list. Most of the time the low quality stuff doesn't hold up to everyday use. Worse, they can be more prone to damaging fasteners which becomes doubly problematic. Would I trust my life (and livelihood) with them? Not usually.
(I once threw away a kids 17mm wrench because it couldn't remove an oil drain plug without slipping off and he was rounding the corners of every drain plug he touched with it.)

I look at some cheap tools as disposable and can be modified when needed.

Need 12 different oddly bent wrenches in order to get an exhaust manifold off of a Porsche 944 Turbo? (that was a real need)
I'm not going to bend up expensive ones for this.
Old 07-09-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Nah. Use the driver as much as you can.....until you discover it can't handle the job you needed it to do. Then look at upgrading if you want.

I look at tool choices differently from the way you're looking at them. I rely on the tools I buy to make my living, you probably don't. My needs aren't the same as yours.
Yeah, that's what I was going to do. Use it for lug nuts, fasteners when I can, and if it's not up to par, borrow one that can or get a better one for myself down the road.

I was looking at sets like this https://store.snapon.com/Shallow-mm-...t-P631990.aspx

I noticed it didn't say if it was 1/2 or 3/8 (edit: it's under 3/8 tools), and they're shallow so would the 19mm not be good for taking out lug nuts?

Last edited by civicenthusiast; 07-09-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2016

I usually use a half inch gun and impact sockets for removing lug nuts.

Installing them is a different story.