General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Hot no start issue with 2002 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jeffmensch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hot no start issue with 2002 Honda Civic

HOT no start issue with Honda Civic

I need YOUR help as American Honda.

For 3-5 years, our Honda Civic does NOT start for 2 minutes - 60 minutes when it is HOT outside. It does NOT crank. It acts like it has a DEAD battery, except the battery is OK and the windows work.

We tried using a NEW key which worked and now we have the same problem of the Honda Civic NOT starting when it is HOT outside.

I have researched the HOT NON START issue on the Internet and there are 1000's of articles and examples of this issue with Honda Civics

I am POSITIVE Honda knows of any the HOT weather affecting the Honda Civic to NOT START for 2-60 minutes.

I NEED YOUR HELP to FIX MY Honda Civic in Austin Texas

Thank you, Jeff
Old 05-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Hot no start issue with 2002 Honda Civic

i would start by testing the battery voltage....higher then 12v?

next i would disconnect the battery and clean the terminals and battery leads with a mixture of baking soda and water, use a wire brush if nessessary,

make sure they are spotless, specifically on the inside of the leads,

make sure everything is clean dry before you reconnect
Old 05-06-2016
Registered!!

I tested the battery and it tests great
Old 05-06-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You've got a car that's almost 15 years old.
Doesn't sound like a problem for American Honda.
It does NOT crank. It acts like it has a DEAD battery,
It sounds like you need someone competent in basic electrical diagnosis to figure out the problem, and it probably needs to continue acting up long enough for that person to figure out what the problem is..

Do you have an ammeter, a voltmeter, and know how to use them?
Can you perform a voltage drop test?
Old 05-07-2016
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Is you're car a MT or AT?
Old 05-08-2016
Registered!!

I do NOT understand that I can see 100's and 1000's of post about a HOT NO START issue for the Honda Civic, BUT NO one knows what the ISSUE is and HOW to solve the ISSUE
Old 05-08-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's Top Secret
Old 05-08-2016
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezone
It's Top Secret
But we're cleared and we have a need to know....
Old 05-08-2016

Originally Posted by bsmiley
But we're cleared and we have a need to know....

OP is not, so I left you a copy of the Top Secret Official Document in the usual rendezvous location. Use your secret decoder ring, the key is scribbled on p42 of the document. Memorize the information then destroy it.
Old 05-08-2016
Registered!!

OP is not, so I left you a copy of the Top Secret Official Document in the usual rendezvous location. Use your secret decoder ring, the key is scribbled on p42 of the document. Memorize the information then destroy it.
Maybe we should use the cone of slience....

Last edited by bsmiley; 05-08-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jeffmensch
For 3-5 years, our Honda Civic does NOT start for 2 minutes - 60 minutes when it is HOT outside. It does NOT crank. It acts like it has a DEAD battery, except the battery is OK and the windows work.
Thoughts....
1. OP says for "For the last 3 to 5 years"... so I guess this isn't urgent.

2. This site is not affiliated with "American Honda" and I doubt they monitor it. Find the 800 number for them or an email and you can communicate directly with them.

3. It would be best if you answer the question(s) you are asked if you want our help...

Thank you,
Smiley
Old 05-08-2016
Registered!!

You make jokes at my expense, good luck
Old 05-08-2016
Registered!!

Lighten up Jeff, we are trying to help you. Don't take some kidding around personally.

If your car is an stick shift then I have an idea.... but I asked what transmission you have AT or MT and you have not answered....
Old 05-08-2016

Based on the posts I've read here, it would seem the OP has little or no intention of figuring out and fixing the car himself, nor is he willing to pay a professional to figure it out and fix it.

Hondas responsibility for fixing the car ended when the warranty ran out.

You own the car now, that means you are responsible for the maintenance and repair of it.
Old 05-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Main relay?

[URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Qp-ToR8KA[/URL]
Old 05-08-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by alex_nyc
Main relay?

[URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Qp-ToR8KA[/URL]
OP said no crank....
Old 05-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alex_nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, no crank.
so would changing the starter or solenoid be a good place to start being its a heat related issue?
Old 05-08-2016
Registered!!

lighten up, are you ****** kidding me? what is wrong with you? this is a honda civic forum, NOT comedy stupids!
Old 05-09-2016
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Old 05-09-2016
Registered!!

I do NOT understand that I can see 100's and 1000's of post about a HOT NO START issue for the Honda Civic, BUT NO one knows what the ISSUE is and HOW to solve the ISSUE
you arn't even bothering to TRY so why expect more help?

did you even TRY my original suggestion?
Old 05-09-2016
Registered!!

I am expecting NOTHING from comedians who I thought were professionals
Old 05-09-2016
Registered!!

you get what you pay for

why don't you go and PAY a professional then?
Old 05-09-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I am expecting NOTHING from comedians who I thought were "professionals"
If you would like to pay for my flight, lodging, food and labor time plus any needed parts; then I could be the pro you are looking for. (labor fee $150 per hour)

Other wise we can try to help you if you start testing the systems we are asking for and answering the questions (because this is all theory and we have no idea what is causing your issue, if you do not explain).

or you can pay a local mechanic
Old 05-09-2016
Registered!!

I am not a professional, and nobody who posts replies is paid by civicforums. We are all volunteering our time, knowledge & experience to help.

I asked a simple question and still you have not answered it. Instead you have more complaints. Nobody here owes you anything. Go address "American Honda" and quit your whining....
My Civic runs great. Everything works as it should and I get good gas mileage. I'll be just fine. You've had the issue 2-3 years, why are you whining about it now?
Old 05-09-2016

I seems the OP refuses to be helped by this forum, we don't offer the sort of help he needs.

Maybe he would receive some helpful replies from the kind and professional folks over at this forum (<--link)

Moderators: This thread has been circling the drain for 3 days.
Time to flush the punch bowl?
Old 05-09-2016
Registered!!

Moderators: This thread has been circling the drain for 3 days.
Time to flush the punch bowl?

Old 05-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

Test the starter
Old 05-26-2016
Registered!!

Final update, Took car to Honda dealer, Car did not start, Tested starter and replaced starter motor
Old 05-27-2016
Registered!!

Final update, Took car to Honda dealer, Car did not start, Tested starter and replaced starter motor
i hope it fixes your problem.....although i am very doubtful.....good luck
Old 05-27-2016

We tried using a NEW key which worked and now we have the same problem of the Honda Civic NOT starting when it is HOT outside.

I have researched the HOT NON START issue on the Internet and there are 1000's of articles and examples of this issue with Honda Civics

I am POSITIVE Honda knows of any the HOT weather affecting the Honda Civic to NOT START for 2-60 minutes.

Thank you, Jeff
lighten up, are you ****** kidding me? what is wrong with you? this is a honda civic forum, NOT comedy stupids!
What was so hard about that?
Did they do this work for free?
Did you act the same at the dealership, as you did here for us?

Originally Posted by mikey1
you get what you pay for

why don't you go and PAY a professional then?

Quick Reply: Hot no start issue with 2002 Honda Civic