General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Invention

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Invention

I came up with an idea that would barely add any weight to a car and would likely increase gas mileage and power by up to 30%. I filed a provisional patent on it, ran it by a patent attorney who said it looked interesting and he'd never seen anything quite like it, but then found out that it takes massive amounts of money to "prosecute" a patent, and I'm low income.

I also found out that the car companies refuse to look at anything that doesn't come from inside, from their own employees.

Is that true?

I'm not asking for anything, nor would I accept anything from anyone here, just wondering how anyone can do something like this, without having a load of money to begin with.

Seems like the people who get all the patents and money are loaded, to begin with, or work for companies that will sponsor their ideas.

Does the little gal have a chance in this country?

I've been pretty much like an idea machine all my life, with no one who appreciates that.
Old 08-25-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Invention

Originally Posted by MamaBear2015
I came up with an idea that would barely add any weight to a car and would likely increase gas mileage and power by up to 30%.
So you have not made a prototype to test it out to see if does increase fuel mileage? Would be good thing to do before investing the money.

I'm not asking for anything, nor would I accept anything from anyone here, just wondering how anyone can do something like this, without having a load of money to begin with.
It does take a lot of money because there is a lot involved in patents and making sure an idea is not infringing on someone else's idea.

If you don't have the money then you need to get investors to help out. This is where being a good sales person comes into play. Sell your idea to someone to convince them to give you money to help your idea come to life. Ever see Shark Tank?
Old 08-25-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If you can make it modular (e.g. plug and play or easy aftermarket installation), you can crowd fund it via something like kickstarter.
Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point

%30 is a lot. Car companies R & D departments are working long hours, spending enormous amount of money and can't increase the gas mileage even with %3.
They are suspicious and it's understanding. Saying this I don't mean your idea is impossible. I am encouraging you to find volunteers and help to implement your idea in prototype and have a proof. Then is going to be a different story. Good Luck.
Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emich
%30 is a lot. Car companies R & D departments are working long hours, spending enormous amount of money and can't increase the gas mileage even with %3.
They are suspicious and it's understanding. Saying this I don't mean your idea is impossible. I am encouraging you to find volunteers and help to implement your idea in prototype and have a proof. Then is going to be a different story. Good Luck.
It's a self-evident idea and would just need to be fine tuned in an automotive lab. I wish I could get in contact with Honda, but like I said, I heard that car companies won't consider ideas from outside them.
Old 08-27-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
If you can make it modular (e.g. plug and play or easy aftermarket installation), you can crowd fund it via something like kickstarter.
I back this one.

Mamabear, check this site:

https://www.kickstarter.com/

Also, you came here, so you have internet

search around for inventions, or about kickstarter and read a lot about - should give you some directions.
Word of warning: it's internet, take things with a grain of salt.c don't believe in everything because it seen to smell roses. rather reports that show failures are more credible

Also, before putting into kickstarter, do check if you will need file a patent prior to that!!! Important!