General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Sun shade, which one to choose: roll up or folding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
carid is a jewel in the roughcarid is a jewel in the roughcarid is a jewel in the rough
Sun shade, which one to choose: roll up or folding?

We have a lot of serious performance parts and products for Hondas, but looks like it's the right time to talk about one other silly but very useful accessory.

It's summer and in some places it's getting so hot that you can cook your lunch on the roof of a car. Interior extremely warms up and few minutes before a cool air from AC gets in last for ever.

Here are the results of some researches that I found online:

A car sun shade will help you to avoid overheating of interior and protect it from fading. Intro-tech is a manufacturer of custom sun shades for cars and trucks. Their products have very attractive pricing and reliable quality proven with many years of our partnership. You can read more about this manufacturer here.

There are two common types of sun shades: Roll up and folding.

Both options come in a custom size to fit under the windshield of your Civic.
Common colors are Silver and Gold as they reflect the heath and UV rays in the best way.

Intro-Tech® - Ultimate Reflector™ Custom Folding Auto Shade http://www.carid.com/intro-tech-auto...ing-shade.html

Intro-Tech® - Custom Auto Shade™ http://www.carid.com/intro-tech-auto...uto-shade.html

You can also look up the full list of Sun shades for your model of Civic on this page: Honda Civic Windshield Sun Shades - CARiD.com

Share your experience and tell which type is more convenient in everyday usage?

1. Folding sun shade

or

2. Roll up sun shade

Leave your comments and inquiries in the comments below!
Old 06-30-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Sun shade, which one to choose: roll up or folding?

I have a roll up sun shade and it is difficult to store. The fold up ones fit in the back seat pocket. Not a big deal for me since I don't usually have multiple passengers so I can put the shade on an empty seat.

Helps a lot in the heat though! Keeps the dash looking good also!
Old 07-01-2015
Former Sponsor

carid is a jewel in the roughcarid is a jewel in the roughcarid is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for sharing your feedback, GolNat! You're absolutely right - thanks to multi-layered material sun shades reflect harmful UV rays, reduces inside temperature and protects your interior.
Old 07-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by carid
Thanks for sharing your feedback, GolNat! You're absolutely right - thanks to multi-layered material sun shades reflect harmful UV rays, reduces inside temperature and protects your interior.
I also like the roll up version, custom sized versions are preferred. Crack the windows open too, I do the driver's side rear and passenger's side front, in case it rains it won't hit all the driver's side door electronic controls. Keep the front and back dash Armoral-ed. Dark window tint helps allot as well. Heat survival in the oppressive Texas summers!
Old 07-06-2015
Former Sponsor

06 EX Mild Mods, thank you! Its always great to see real owners feedback.
Old 07-06-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I personally own one of those that you twist opposite corners in order to store it. Fits between my center console and my front seats and adequately covers my windshield. It works as well as my girlfriend's fold up one, but there's only so much you can do to combat Vegas summer heat.

edit: I have an 02 civic and she has an 08. It's really hard to find a universal sun shade that properly fits her massive windshield (even the "super jumbo" sized ones don't properly fit), but she rigs it so it blocks incoming light enough
Old 07-06-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I noticed the stores now have super jumbo.... surprised the fit is not as expected for you. Works well in 2010 sedan.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 07-06-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If she tries to make it sit against the windshield like I do with mine, it's short by a good bit. She positions it so the bottle sits about 6-8 inches from the base of the windshield (basically resting on her dash) and holds the top of the shade with the visors, like you're supposed to.

Edit: whoops. Accidentally added the edit to your post x_x

Edit: here's how mine sits, the edges wedged between the windshield and the dash, a-pillars, and roof lining. Some small gaps, not enough to make a huge difference.
Name:  vs1hDzk.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  879.3 KB
Old 07-07-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^ I can get my sj to sit just like that, tucked in the front edge. And slide apart for complete coverage.
Old 07-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marteam is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently have the
Intro-Tech sun shade. I like its style than the roll up ones.
Old 08-04-2015
Former Sponsor

I must agree that the folding covers are more convenient and the majority of our customers prefer them. If you guys need a quote, just let me know your zip, email and what item would you like to get.