General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Best quality amber bulbs to locate

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Best quality amber bulbs to locate

Anyone have any input on good quality amber bulbs to purchase (1157A)(NOT LED)

I know that gearbox had some info, but search is no help.

First thoughts are Sylvania.... but after my drl browning problems have wondered about their quality, and customer service these days.

Going to pickup some 7443s and a 7440 in Wagner and may look over their amber selection at the parts store.

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-18-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Best quality amber bulbs to locate

You want some natural ambers, right? To avoid potential paint flecks? They're harder to find but I've been using the Sylvania 7440NA bulbs from Autozone in my clear housings since January, and they've been good for me! The pics here don't really do them justice.

Signal off:

Signal on:

From a distance:

I tried my best to get it at peak brightness!
Old 09-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

if i remember correctly gearbox used PIAA brand bulbs.
Old 09-18-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lowlife9
if i remember correctly gearbox used PIAA brand bulbs.
Judging by his posts that sounds like him but they only have white bulbs on their site... he wouldn't use those in clear housings.
Old 09-18-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

idk maybe they don't make these anymore http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pia-19346
i hear good things about Nokya bulbs

Last edited by lowlife9; 09-18-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2014

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Likely get something NA. The Sylvanias look nice, think they come in LL as well.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 09-19-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

CraigW,

I bought mine from Honda - can't remember which, but one model had the clear lenses and i got them. It was in Canada, though, let me take a look.
Old 09-19-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ah, OK, here they go... some modifications required.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-coupe-ex.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...bulb-same.html

here goes the models:
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Amber 7440 bulbs can also be ordered in honda dealers. just tell them you need bulbs for the 2003 civic sir (canada) or si (US) they are stanley (correction here - "standard". you will not have them light as parking since they are7440, though.
Some discussion between me and darksouljour:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-retrofit.html
Old 09-20-2014

^^^ Honda recently switched over from Stanley to Sylvania as the bulb supplier.

Those Stanley bulbs were very well made.