General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Looking at possibly buying a used civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
matholland618 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking at possibly buying a used civic

Hello everyone. I had a 08 Civic SI that I bought new in 09 as a left over. Since then I have been through several vehicles. My current daily driver is a 2010 Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton with a 5" lift and 35's.

My delima is that I drive 30 miles 1 way to work everyday. I have to keep my truck because I also have a Polaris RZR, and I have to have something to haul it with. Granted I could trade my truck, but I have put too much money into it. I do like my truck, so I am not looking to get rid of it.

I did like my Civic, I LOVEEED my 2012 Mustang GT and really miss that car...Anyway, back on topic. I have been toying around with getting an older civic to drive back and forth to work. I am spending around 100 a week in diesel right now just going back and forth to work, its really killing me. I do still live at home, and the girlfriend and I have been thinking about buying a house. She currently rents, but we have been talking about staying at my parent's house until we save some more money up. She is currently paying rent every month and bills at a house that she is not living at because she practically lives with me anyway.

I was thinking about spending 3000-3500 on a car. Here is my thoughts...I would like to have a turbo'd civic. I miss the go fast of my mustang, and figured that a boosted older civic would give me a somewhat go fast feeling lol. I know that if I found a tubo'd civic in that price range, then it would probably be an early 90's dx or something maybe with a b16 swap. I wouldn't mind having a late 90's into early 2000 SI. If I went that route, I would prefer a 4 door. Maybe those car's in that range are ratted out....This I am not sure on, which is why I came here for some thoughts or suggestions.

Some concerns of mine, is if I got a turbo'd civic, I don't want to buy someone else's headache. I am assuming for it to be right, then it would need to be tuned...I also don't know what kind of PSI the motor's in these can hold up too with mostly stock internals/transmissions. Again, I don't want to buy someone elses headache. Maybe I shouldn't be looking for one with a turbo at all for that price range. I am really not sure as there aren't a ton of what I am looking for on the local craigslist ads at the moment.

I know that with a civic I would be looking at 25+ mpg, which would be a huge savings for me in fuel. Not to mention it would be gas rather than diesel.
Old 04-09-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Looking at possibly buying a used civic

I don't know if a turbo car is the best option for what you are looking for. If you built it yourself I would consider it because you can make it a reliable daily driver that gets decent gas mileage and can still haul ***. You are taking a big risk with buying someone else's project. With that being said it would offer a great combination of fun and gas mileage but if your only purpose for buying it is to save gas then you could just get an older civic and get better gas mileage for driving back and forth to work. Use the money you are saving on gas to buy a weekend fun fast car (or put it towards a house). Putting it towards the house would be best, its a great investment for your future.

Also turbo civic will require premium fuel which is just as much as diesel, granted you will only need to get 10 gallons to fill the tank.
Old 04-09-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
matholland618 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found this on cl...He said the guy before him put the turbo on and he has had it for 7 months or so. Apparently it's his daily and it has been tuned from a place around there.

Has a dent I know. Idk if it is ragged out or not.
Old 04-10-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I don't see a link?

Why is he getting rid of it?