General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

what is the best year for honda civic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jlehr25 is an unknown quantity at this point
what is the best year for honda civic?

hi ok so here is my question what is the best year for honda civic between 92-2006 i have about 6000 to spend and i dont want a si i would like to know what the best year for reliability and least amount of problems. I was looking at a 04 ex or hx but i read somewhere that 04-06 they had faulty motors due to poor casting so any help or tips would be great thank you in advance.
Old 10-11-2012
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: what is the best year for honda civic?

94 and 95 are the best years lmao. everybody has their own opinion..

ime, my car has done me well. very little maintenance needed and still runs strong. i like older cars that have less computer control, like my 94. seems to be easier and cheaper to work on compared to newer cars. i've known a lot of people that've owned civics from 92-00, but none newer than that. i can say that all the civics from those years seemed to hold up well.

you could read this thread https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...-problems.html

honestly, i like all civics, but the best years i think are 92-05. the new body style is waay too bubbly i think.

first reply ftw!
Old 10-11-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ agree. the first question from me actually when i see a post that is named "what's BEST?!?!?" is actually always :

"define best" (we don't have any idea what you mean by best... sorry, we not telepaths...)
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

PearlVic is an unknown quantity at this point

04-05 are the best looking lol..... ek's are nice for an older model, im really into the older hatchs, but its your opinion not ours, what do you like best?

And idk about the faulty motors thing because the motor that is in the 06 is different than the 04 and 05, 01-05 is the same motor
Old 10-11-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I have only had 1 civic, an 01 and I think it is great. Never heard of this "faulty" motor thing. The only thing to look out for is a 01-05 with an auto transmission. What's wrong with an Si? EP3 would be cool, not the 2000 Si, everyone has one of them.
Old 10-11-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

If you read through these forums you will probably find that all years of Civics have had mechanical/service issues from head gaskets to brakes to trannys and the lot. It has more to do with the previous owner(s) and how they have driven the car and how well it's been maintained. You have to be diligent when buying a car and make sure it's going to be worth the value your paying for it. That being said if you have $6000 cash to spend you can buy a good stock, decent mileage 91-95 Civic for $2000 - $3000. You can get a 96-00 in the same condition for $4000 - $6000. I'm not sure about 01-05 since I don't have a lot of interest in them in general. (sorry 7th gen, lol)

You'd be better off to figure out which one you like best and then find one that's in good shape. All cars are reliable and low maintenance if they have been well maintained.

Last edited by Stock 99; 10-12-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

honda247315 is an unknown quantity at this point

in my opinion i think all civics are even, jus seems like dey never fail on u unless u dont take care of it properly.
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/

As far as reliability is concerned, 6th gen and probably 5th gen as well, is solid. The mains things that go wrong is stuff like the ignition switch and cracked exhaust manifolds. But transmissions, engines are solid. What will go wrong with them in another 20 years? I'm no expert but parts are super cheap, just keep the rust away.

'01,'02 and a bit of '03, transmission problems (auto only I think, but maybe manual too, not sure).
'06-'08; Engine block manufacturing fart where coolant can leak or something.

Those are the big things to look out for in the 7th, 8th gen.
So if you want a newer civic, I guess get a '03, '04, '05 '09 '10 '11 '12 or '13.
Old 10-12-2012
Registered!!

carbuddy is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, they are all good. What matters is which car has been taken care of the best and how it was treated. You can keep a well maintained care for 15+ years. My mom still has hers as her car in Florida. She gets to her condo every winter and the only problem she has encountered was a dead batteries. These cars are meant to last!
Old 10-12-2012
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

as far as reliability, any 92-00 is great. i would go with the 00 si if you can find it. best civic out there.
Old 10-12-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

In all honesty,
I would vouch for the best civics as 99 and 00 civics.

As long as you upgrade the security/locks.
Old 10-12-2012

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

^ yeah! LOL

Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

axis11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for a 92-00 civic. Most parts are interchangeable. Lots of parts around, aftermarket support, dealer, junk yard,. Favorite models of the thieves.I like the 92-95 models the most. As one of the replies said, less computer control. It means less sensors and less things to fail. I prefer SOHC for fuel economy and ease of maintenance. Lots of room in the engine bay to work around. In where I am, I can get an engine and trans for less than 1000 bucks.
Old 10-13-2012
Registered!!

dred is an unknown quantity at this point

I like my 05 si-g EM2 (same as EX in USA)
I also had a 2000 hatch and it was reliable but severely gutless
and uncomfortable as hell.
My 05 also is loaded and gets roughly the same gas milage as long as
I aint VTECin all the time.
Only thing to watch on the 1.7 is the head gasket.
Had to get mine done but has been great since.