General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Undercoating & Rust Proofing

Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last is an unknown quantity at this point
Undercoating & Rust Proofing

I was reading the old posts; someone said something about owner’s manual says that they shouldn’t undercoat the car because they don’t need it. Well I read a lot of different opinions about it; some says yes!! Some says no!! Well is the owner’s manual really says don’t do it? I didn’t see anything!! I am asking because, I got a 2012 Civic EX I only have 1500 mil on it so far, and I do want to get the undercoating and rust proofing it’s going to cost me $500, I live in upstate NY, we get A LOT OF snow and lots of salt on the roads, so I thought I would ask the question again! Should I? is it Worth the money? Thank you.
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough
Re: Undercoating & Rust Proofing

I would personally do it. The salt just gets in every little corner and tears things apart. It's better to prevent rust than to have to deal with it one it gets a foothold. My car had a very small amount of rust when I bought it so I sprayed it with rust converter and then a rubber coating to keep the water and salt off the metal.
Old 09-18-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

just my 02 but....

I'm usually the guy buying the 10 year old used car. It's a big selling point that it has been undercoated and preferably as early as possible in it's life. It means someone has taken care of their car from day 1. The only time I would look at undercoating not being a good thing would be a DIY job. You have to be extremely careful that the car is dry and clean as possible before you do it because trapping moisture between the undercoating and the car is probably worst than not undercoating.
Old 09-18-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Yes. Undercoat it. Those that say you shouldn't are prob from states like California, where it's 75 degrees sunny blue skies year round and don't understand what snow can do
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

im going to say spend your 500 dollars elsewhere my car is 8 years old 150,000 miles never been garaged and the underbody has minimal surface rust no body rust and minimal engine compartment rust i live in connecticut by the way.unless you plan on having your car for 50 years its not necessary.and if your having your dealer do it they lift it then have some moron with a pump canister go to town they don't clean **** ive seen it done a million times.its basically something you could do yourself

Last edited by lowlife9; 09-18-2012 at 01:56 PM.