General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Official Top Gear Thread

Old 04-11-2012
Girls twist wrenches too...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough
Official Top Gear Thread

Those hubcaps remind of something Jeremy (from top gear) put on his wheels when they did the budget police car challenge...
Old 04-11-2012
Naturally Aspirated

513EM1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Take Pics of Local Ricers

Originally Posted by Roxie
Those hubcaps remind of something Jeremy (from top gear) put on his wheels when they did the budget police car challenge...
Haha I love that show
Old 04-11-2012
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

top gear bbc one cuz the U.S hick one sucks. Jeremy Clarkson ftw.
Old 04-11-2012
Registered!!

HateOnEveryone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
top gear bbc one cuz the U.S hick one sucks. Jeremy Clarkson ftw.
Hell yea its a disgrace that they tried to recreate it with an american rip off version with peiple who kno nothing about cars...ok I no someone here is gina say but tanner faust is a professional drifter..lets see him fix a car that hydrolocked in a ditch in iraq like james may did
Old 04-12-2012
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HateOnEveryone
Hell yea its a disgrace that they tried to recreate it with an american rip off version with peiple who kno nothing about cars...ok I no someone here is gina say but tanner faust is a professional drifter..lets see him fix a car that hydrolocked in a ditch in iraq like james may did
But whose to say they can't?

I'll agree the British one is better, but I think people are hating on the American one too easily.

The American Top Gear is a good show. If you never heard of the British Top Gear and watched the American one, you would think it was pretty sweet. Same concept applies to most shows that branch out like this.

The Office started in England, and then came over to America. American's loved the new one because they had never seen/heard of the British one. However, people who knew the British one automatically said "It's not as good." Shows are altered to fit their national demographics.

IMO, give the show some more time. It's a new show, and the hosts/film crew are still getting used to each other. Once everyone creates a strong chemistry between each other, they'll get better. You can't expect them to be amazing right off the start. I havn't seen the first episodes of Top Gear, but I'm sure they struggled getting everything just right as well.

/rant
Old 04-12-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Shift-E

I'll agree the British one is better, but I think people are hating on the American one too easily.

The American Top Gear is a good show. If you never heard of the British Top Gear and watched the American one, you would think it was pretty sweet. Same concept applies to most shows that branch out like this.

The Office started in England, and then came over to America. American's loved the new one because they had never seen/heard of the British one. However, people who knew the British one automatically said "It's not as good." Shows are altered to fit their national demographics.

IMO, give the show some more time. It's a new show, and the hosts/film crew are still getting used to each other. Once everyone creates a strong chemistry between each other, they'll get better. You can't expect them to be amazing right off the start. I havn't seen the first episodes of Top Gear, but I'm sure they struggled getting everything just right as well.

/rant
Actuly im the complete opisite of this the first ever of any top gear I ever sae was the very very first season of top.gear america. Nd I said wow kool..went on netflix watch instantly thought I found it was bbc version I said wtf is this..watched it anyway fell inlove and eatched every episode ever made.I csnt want american one now it rele is terible and now there trying to redo bbc chalanges.. Its terible. Monday new season of top.gear on bbc ! Cant wait
Old 04-12-2012

Roxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the roughRoxie is a jewel in the rough

/rant
My issue with the American version is that they don't seem to take anything seriously. It doesn't seem like they are interested in doing a legitimate show. Then again, I'm not into much of the American programming. I would much rather get all the tv stations from europe than here in America. I watch BBC America primarily, and any other stations or programming from europe that I can get my hands on. American programming doesn't seem to be... intelligent compared to european (with what I watch). But, it's all a personal preference/opinion.
Old 04-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yeah but they didn't change anything except the host everything they do is a copy of the original even the set why would they copy everything they had an opportunity to have a clean slate and do things differently i feel the show is a complete sham.
Old 04-13-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I like Tanner and i don't mind Rutledge but the other guy just stands around and doesn't really add to the atmosphere. in the british version the three make the show plus they have the Stig.
Old 04-13-2012

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Actuly im the complete opisite of this the first ever of any top gear I ever sae was the very very first season of top.gear america. Nd I said wow kool..went on netflix watch instantly thought I found it was bbc version I said wtf is this..watched it anyway fell inlove and eatched every episode ever made.I csnt want american one now it rele is terible and now there trying to redo bbc chalanges.. Its terible. Monday new season of top.gear on bbc ! Cant wait
But you did think it was cool before you found out about the British one? You see what I'm saying here :P

Originally Posted by Roxie
My issue with the American version is that they don't seem to take anything seriously. It doesn't seem like they are interested in doing a legitimate show. Then again, I'm not into much of the American programming. I would much rather get all the tv stations from europe than here in America. I watch BBC America primarily, and any other stations or programming from europe that I can get my hands on. American programming doesn't seem to be... intelligent compared to european (with what I watch). But, it's all a personal preference/opinion.
Lol that's another thing about different markets. They have to have different topics so that it can appeal to the broader American viewer. I don't like this fact, but it's the big wig CEOs who think it's neccessary.

Originally Posted by lowlife9
yeah but they didn't change anything except the host everything they do is a copy of the original even the set why would they copy everything they had an opportunity to have a clean slate and do things differently i feel the show is a complete sham.
They copy everything for thiose who have never watched the British Top Gear. They do have some original stuff, but of course theyre gonna redo all the super cool stuff that was such a big success in the British version.

Originally Posted by mac25
I like Tanner and i don't mind Rutledge but the other guy just stands around and doesn't really add to the atmosphere. in the british version the three make the show plus they have the Stig.
The british hosts have a much better Chemistry. They've been at it for years and have all become really close friends with one another. They also have a lot more experience with driving fast cars. I remember 1 of the American guys was shaking after hitting 180 mph in a lambo, because he'd never been that fast before. Not that I blame him, thats a scary speed!

Like I said, give it time, maybe new hosts, more chemistry between them and they will be a decent show. They will never be the British Top Gear, because they are the original, but they will be a decent stand-alone show.
Old 04-13-2012

Also, remember that Top Gear has been done everywhere, and failed. Theres been Korea, Russia, and Australia ones as well. Australia made it to 4 seasons. America is only on the second.

Clarkson approves of the show:

Jeremy Clarkson, host of the UK Top Gear, commented on HISTORY's Top Gear, "Top Gear is our baby so you can understand why Hammond, May and I were anxious about passing it on to the presenters of the US show. We needn't have worried because Top Gear is clearly in safe hands, even if they do insist on speaking in those stupid accents. Watching an episode from series 1 with Richard and James, we found ourselves in a genuinely heated debate about which of the presenters' cars was best. We were just three ordinary chaps watching a car show and loving it, which is exactly what Top Gear should be. Bring on series 2.
Old 04-14-2012
Registered!!

n8marsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah US top gear still has a ways to go, but you having american cars that we can relate makes a huuuuuuge difference. Having the fiero, or the olds roadmaster makes the show much more enjoyable. The cars can provide their own character when the presenters fall short.

I've watched nearly every episode of Top Gear UK and love it, but not being able to connect a memory or anecdote to most cars does make a difference.

I still like the UK one better though.
Old 04-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I'm not defending him but, Tanner did re-wire that jeep when the battery came loose and tore the wiring harness to ****.
------------------

To me it feels like the American Top Gear is more contrived. It may not be any more contrived than the BBC version but, sure seems that way to me.
Old 04-15-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Official Top Gear Thread

Top Gear promotes enough discussion to require it's own thread.

Posts moved to create one.
Old 04-15-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

..lets see him fix a car that hydrolocked in a ditch in iraq like james may did
It was actually a blown head gasket on his BMW and if you think he actually fixed it, well then LOL.

I've never actually seen any of those guys fix anything for real. Well except 'South America' Hammond had to fix his land cruiser a couple times.

When you watch 'Africa' and see how many people are actually part of the production crew (pushing the cars on the salt flats) there are mechanics in that bunch for sure.

Most classic part of that show ever though is 'Trip to America 1' where they decide to taunt some rednecks in Alabama and just about get their asses kicked.

I love Top Gear UK and I like Top Gear US (on it's 3rd season right now BTW) but judging by the 'best of' compilations they've been putting out for UK season 18 I'd say that it's over now. UK's last 3 or 4 seasons have been pretty bland and US gets better all the time.

As for the others how do you make a car show when all you have is one car maker (Australia) Holden. Korea doesn't even make cars because Hyundai doesn't count.

Last edited by Stock 99; 04-18-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2012

They got more episodes on Netflix now Excited to watch some of them! lol

As for the hosts on American Top Gear
1. Tanner Foust: Pretty cool guy. I like watching him, and when you hear him talk you know that he knows a lot about racing. Watching him drive, he def has lots of skill as well.

2: Rutledge Wood: Racing analyist, so he knows a thing or two. I find him a little too enthusiastic, but makes an alright host.

3. Adam Ferrara: Comedian and Actor... Does nothing for me. He doesn't seem to know enough about cars. I dunno.

Last edited by Shift-E; 04-16-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-16-2012
Registered!!

TNigs is an unknown quantity at this point

As for the hosts on American Top Gear
1. Tanner Foust: Pretty cool guy. I like watching him, and when you hear him talk you know that he knows a lot about racing. Watching him drive, he def has lots of skill as well.
ya tanner foust was one of the top drivers in formula d and he was at last years x games lasts time I seen him

Last edited by TNigs; 04-16-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-16-2012
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

I just finsihed watching all of them on netlfix....now i need to find something else to watch. I agree with Shift-E i saw the american one first and thought it was pretty awesome but then watched the uk version and couldnt go back. the one thing i dont like about the american version is they never actually come to a conclusion at the end of the show, its just whatever presenter decides to say "my car is best goodnight"
Old 04-16-2012
Registered!!

tonite is the first episode of the new season of uk top gear on bbc america
Old 04-16-2012

Rutledge fixed his car http://youtu.be/F0rmlSwbLsU
Old 04-16-2012
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Wow this show is probably going to get canceled 4 to 1 dislike on that video.
Old 04-16-2012

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know why everyone bags on US Top Gear so much. I think it's pretty good. If you were to compare UK season 1 to US season 1, US kicks it's butt all over the place. Perhaps, they should have called it something other then Top Gear (US) everybody seems to get hung up on that comparison.
Old 04-16-2012

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
Wow this show is probably going to get canceled 4 to 1 dislike on that video.
people only dislike it because its not the british one. Its uploaded on the same youtube channel, owned by bbc, as the British one is.
Old 04-16-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Don't forget there's also a German and Australian version of top gear too...and I'll bet the locals have the same kind of arguments lol...

I like both american and UK top gear because they both have their own thing going...the UK version has more car news and test drives, whereas the US version is more about the adventures and challenges, and both focus more on domestic vehicles rather than imported, so you get to see more cars being tested. I'll agree that the UK version is overall better, but don't hate on the US version for not being exactly the same. The only two things that get to me is a: Jeremy and James and Richard have actual conversations with each other, that seem a lot less acted/scripted than when Tanner, Adam, and Rutledge argue and poke fun at each other, and b: I have no idea who Rutledge is and how he got on that show, and Adam is a comedian (a poor one, at that). Neither of them seem to know a whole lot about cars, other than what the script tells them...at least Tanner knows how to handle a vehicle...thats just my 2c on the subject.

TL;DR - They both have their own pros to look at, once you get past the bad acting on the US version.
Old 04-16-2012
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

do any of you watch mighty car mods? LOVE that youtube show!
Old 04-17-2012

When it comes to the knowledge about cars the UK version has, it's definitely less scripted (or so it seems). I also like the chemistry all three of the hosts have with the UK version. They are just the perfect combination of personalities for this kind of thing. Whether or not they know how to replace the syncros, or even just airing up the tires, they do know how to drive and know their way with cars for sure. I think they are a good team.

Different strokes for different folks for sure.
Old 04-17-2012

remember people. hammond wasnt always on the show. He was added season 2, because the chemistry from season 1 sucked. Fat dude didnt belong lol
Old 04-18-2012

Hammond was there from the beginning. James May replaced Jason AKA the fat dude
Old 04-18-2012

youre right, my mistake!
Old 04-21-2012

May was a smart replacement, that's for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Top Gear Thread