General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Has Hyundai surpassed Honda? In terms of quality and reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Has Hyundai surpassed Honda? In terms of quality and reliability?

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
For the Genesis looks, do you think its look will stay modern for many years? Or does it have a generic sports car look that its looks will fade over time? And eventually one would get bored with it.
I'm sure it'll fall apart before any of those things happen.
Old 03-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
briando is an unknown quantity at this point

nah, i think Honda is still on top, but i will admit i'm thinkin that the race is getting closer and closer
Old 03-25-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stock 99
I agree, but if somehow it doesn't it will look dated.

S2000 or RX8 will stand the cosmetic test of time, although I would never buy a rotary car. Miatas too.
Old 03-25-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by Stock 99
Oh? I guess long term these gen coupes or hyundais have yet to be proven on how well they last in 6, 7+ years. How will the suspension hold up, the bushings, the chasis, etc. Since gen coupe just came out in 2010 i beleve so only 3 years of production so far. I know the 2010 had lots of issues.

Ive been reading on gencoupe forums for about a month now from current gen coupe owners and they all have pretty believe their gen coupes have become just as reliable as honda, nissan and toyota and right up there at the top. Most of these guys are going 20k miles easy without any problems. But we will see i guess.

I did find an interesting thread while back where it stated some of the problems common in them. Like Cheap interior causing rattles and sqeaks and sunroof leaks.

One complaint that worries me is that i guess hyundai uses cheap paint and very thin clearcoat coming from the factory. So apparently the paint chips and scratches very easy. Guys are getting paint chips 5k km into their car ownership.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-25-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Oh? I guess long term these gen coupes or hyundais have yet to be proven on how well they last in 6, 7+ years. How will the suspension hold up, the bushings, the chasis, etc. Since gen coupe just came out in 2010 i beleve so only 3 years of production so far. I know the 2010 had lots of issues.

Ive been reading on gencoupe forums for about a month now from current gen coupe owners and they all have pretty believe their gen coupes have become just as reliable as honda, nissan and toyota and right up there at the top. Most of these guys are going 20k miles easy without any problems. But we will see i guess.

I did find an interesting thread while back where it stated some of the problems common in them. Like Cheap interior causing rattles and sqeaks.
If you're really serious about picking up RWD sports car, research s2000s.
Old 03-25-2012
Naturally Aspirated

513EM1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda > Hyundai

Old 03-25-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

Your car is nice, what size rims you got? How much is your drop? Well id get adjustable coilovers cause id lower it in the summer and bring back to stock height for winter. Do you think that would look funny on 15" rims? I was looking at coilovers last summer and the tein coilovers were still $1000+ online. Forgot the site but i got it off here.
thanks man.. I have 17s in the summer and 15s in winter both looked good. I maxxed out my coil overs in the front.

also Im with mindbomber.. s2k>genesis any day. also I don't like the fact that the 2.0T only needs 87 octane, turbo'd engines should use higher octane fuel. They must have detuned the hell out of the genesis so that the engine wouldn't detonate.
Old 03-25-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by Hardcoresteve
My gf's sonata has 175,000miles and runs like a champ...tranny is mushy now, but feels better than any automatic honda ive had with that mileage. My 5spd in my 05vp has been rebuilt twice at 120,000 miles, and on my third motor...
Youre on youre THIRD engine on a hyundai? What hyundai is that? Hyundai engines are suppose to last as long as a honda one from what i hear.
Old 03-26-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by MindBomber
If you're really serious about picking up RWD sports car, research s2000s.
Considering the winters we get here, RWD is just not a good idea for me. But i have been in a friends s2000 a few years ago and it was niiice. . Those cars still resale for top prime dollar and even the 03 dont look dated at all. I see used 03 models going for close to 20k.

Wonder how gen coupe resale value would be 8-10yrs from now compared to s2000.
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

You could get a used S2k for around 12 grand. I fyou wnat one mint with low miles look closer to around 15 or so..

Gen coupes are not going to compare to S2000's in anyway in 8-10 years. S2000 will hold there value ALOT longer then gen coupes.

I say this not because I own one, but because it was a special Honda and it is now stopp being made.

Honestly, I dont reccomend an S2000 for you, if you are a crazy guy you will loose the rear end pretty quick. I have already and I consider myself pretty careful, yet I do drive "spirited" at times.
Old 03-26-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If you wonder what a Gen coupe will be worth in a few years, search the prices for Tiburons now.
Old 03-26-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of mixed opinions. Only time will tell what's going to happen. You can't compare a genesis to a tiburon That's like comparing a Honda to a Hyundai. I really hope they last, because it would be nice to have more competition in the market.
Old 03-26-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
You could get a used S2k for around 12 grand. I fyou wnat one mint with low miles look closer to around 15 or so..

Gen coupes are not going to compare to S2000's in anyway in 8-10 years. S2000 will hold there value ALOT longer then gen coupes.

I say this not because I own one, but because it was a special Honda and it is now stopp being made.

Honestly, I dont reccomend an S2000 for you, if you are a crazy guy you will loose the rear end pretty quick. I have already and I consider myself pretty careful, yet I do drive "spirited" at times.
For the most part i drive like a grandma always going the speed limit. Youre probably why im even wanting a car with a turbo engine.

If you wonder what a Gen coupe will be worth in a few years, search the prices for Tiburons now.
If thats the case that would suck. 24k car is maybe worth 12k in 4yrs.
Old 03-26-2012
I am Epic

[YOUTUBE]2UpIrZV68YU[/YOUTUBE]
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

I tried not to comment on this tread since you pretty much make your mind on the coupe genesis and everyone touched on pretty much on everything.

But the genesis coupe or Hyundai as a whole have not proven anything yet compared to Honda. Its reasonable for you to believe that it gets so much attention as a Benz and BMW since your pretty much having wet dreams with it.

I will help you out bro.
http://www.gencoupe.com/
http://www.rwdcoupe.com/
http://genesisforums.org/

In the end I would just wait for a company that is proven.
http://www.7tune.com/driven-the-new-toyota-86/
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

rbeats is an unknown quantity at this point

I drive a honda to work everyday (Hyundai Dealership) I agree with the statement made about not being able to compare the Gennie coupe to the Tib. There is no comparison. Tib was a heavy front drive naturally aspirated four banger. Yes the base model Gennie is a gour banger, but it's boosted. Rear drive and UNGODLY fast. I would also like to add that it's hard to find something to compare the new Gennie coupe with any Honda counterpart in production today. In my opinion if you wanted to compare a Honda to a Hyundai, I would put the Veloster beside the CRZ, and the Civic beside the Elantra. Only because wheelbase are similar and powertrain are comparable. Sadly the "Accident" (Accent) is just that. Hyundai's entry level whoops me made an "econobox" car. When it all comes down to nickels and dimes, I drive a 12 year old car that is paid for to work every day It's only ever in the shop for preventative maintenance and I see a lot of things going wrong with a LOT of new cars. All brands included. Oh yeah, I also have a 2010 Hyundai Sonata.
Old 03-26-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
I tried not to comment on this tread since you pretty much make your mind on the coupe genesis and everyone touched on pretty much on everything.

But the genesis coupe or Hyundai as a whole have not proven anything yet compared to Honda. Its reasonable for you to believe that it gets so much attention as a Benz and BMW since your pretty much having wet dreams with it.

I will help you out bro.
http://www.gencoupe.com/
http://www.rwdcoupe.com/

In the end I would just wait for a company that is proven.
http://www.7tune.com/driven-the-new-toyota-86/
Hey it wasnt me who thinks the gen coupe gets looks and mistaken by people for being a benz or bentley but the gen coupe owners on their forums.

Im not getting the gen coupe, as much as i want it, $38,219 for it over the next four years is gonna put too much of a burden on me financially. That is a lot of cash! It would be more cause id refinance it at end of four years.

By them the car will be worth maybe what 15k? Going from a car with no monthly payments to one that is $553 a month is a huge commitment.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2012
I am Epic

Originally Posted by rbeats
I drive a honda to work everyday (Hyundai Dealership) I agree with the statement made about not being able to compare the Gennie coupe to the Tib. There is no comparison. Tib was a heavy front drive naturally aspirated four banger. Yes the base model Gennie is a gour banger, but it's boosted. Rear drive and UNGODLY fast. I would also like to add that it's hard to find something to compare the new Gennie coupe with any Honda counterpart in production today. In my opinion if you wanted to compare a Honda to a Hyundai, I would put the Veloster beside the CRZ, and the Civic beside the Elantra. Only because wheelbase are similar and powertrain are comparable. Sadly the "Accident" (Accent) is just that. Hyundai's entry level whoops me made an "econobox" car. When it all comes down to nickels and dimes, I drive a 12 year old car that is paid for to work every day It's only ever in the shop for preventative maintenance and I see a lot of things going wrong with a LOT of new cars. All brands included. Oh yeah, I also have a 2010 Hyundai Sonata.
What kind of car do you drive to work? The honda? Did your work give you a sonata?

You make a good point about the luxury of having a car that is paid off. It is a huge benefit not having monthly payments and being able to put that money towards other things. Your car may be old but at the end of the day it works.

Ive never had monthly payments on a car before, so i dont know what its like. Nor does anyone in my family since they all bought their cars cash. But i do know 2 weeks ago when i was literally minutes away from signing papers on the 09 SI, and knowing the 6 yr commitment i was making to it financially, that it did all of a sudden hit me right then and there. I had doubts, questions running wild in my mind. Is this right? Is this a mistake? It is a huge commitment and a big change financially. And once youre in, you cant exit
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

Yes the base model Gennie is a gour banger, but it's boosted. Rear drive and UNGODLY fast.
LOL at ungodly fast... its making 200hp... its "quick" not fast
Old 03-26-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ I think he was talking about the 6 cylinder Oh and possibly the 2013.
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

even still if someone told me a car is ungodly fast I would be thinking of something that made 500+ whp
Old 03-26-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Yea... "Ungodly" has no real definition and one person may think its 300hp or 500 hp.. but that being said. HP is not the only thing required for speed... Its a weight to power thing The genesis is pretty heavy.
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

yea weight is another factor and i would agree that the genesis is on the heavy end
Old 03-26-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The see very little between a Tib and Gen. Both look pretty damn similar, both are heavy, Gen has a little more power with the addition of a turbo but still only comparable horsepower to a Civic Si and less than a Cobalt SS, even the V6 only has comparable power to a 350z which is also not worth much at this point, the only big up over most of the competition is that it's rwd and in Canada that's not even a positive for most people.
Old 03-26-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Sadly the "Accident" (Accent) is just that.

thanks for the laughs!
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

Yeah "accident"... customers don't like it when i "ahem" mispronounce that word. I drive the civic to work. Work did NOT give me my sonata, they sold it to me.(nothing is free) As for ungodly that may have been an understatement. but they are quick for the buck.
Old 03-26-2012
I am Epic

^ Lately ive been seeing 4-5 Hyundais on the road and its 95% of the time an elantra. NIce car but not really my style.

I dont think theres a better looking car than the gen coupe for just looks.
In person it looks like a high end 70k luxury car.

I need to accept how my civic looks and accept it for what it is, what it looks like. I need to stop comparing it to every other nice car I see.
Old 03-26-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

^ Lately ive been seeing 4-5 Hyundais on the road and its 95% of the time an elantra. NIce car but not really my style.

I dont think theres a better looking car than the gen coupe for just looks.
In person it looks like a high end 70k luxury car.

I need to accept how my civic looks and accept it for what it is, what it looks like. I need to stop comparing it to every other nice car I see.
You fixate on things naturally, I think that's why you like the Gen coupe so much.

Yes, you absolutely do need to stop caring what other people think. Trying to find happiness through owning this or that is a completely unsustainable cycle, even if you were a millionaire that would be the case. Do little things to your car if it makes you happy though, have you thought about swapping to an 05 front?
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

I love my sedan civic. And i dont care when people bust my ***** that i dont drive a newer car. When i ask what their payment is and tell then mine is zero. They shut up quick .
Old 03-26-2012
I am Epic

You fixate on things naturally, I think that's why you like the Gen coupe so much.

Yes, you absolutely do need to stop caring what other people think. Trying to find happiness through owning this or that is a completely unsustainable cycle, even if you were a millionaire that would be the case. Do little things to your car if it makes you happy though, have you thought about swapping to an 05 front?
05 front bumper you mean? Well havent considered it since my current bumper has a 1yr old new paint job and its still in perfect condition, not a single paint chip on it. Would adding yellow fog lights make it look better?

What about throwing on 17" rims, would that close up the wheel gap enough to not need coilovers?

Quick Reply: Has Hyundai surpassed Honda? In terms of quality and reliability?