General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What is the Best Generation Civic? - Thinking of Buying

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koko4 is an unknown quantity at this point
What is the Best Generation Civic? - Thinking of Buying

Hey everyone! Right now I drive an '05 Kia Optima, but am already starting to think about my next car. The Kia is getting up there in miles (137k) for a Kia, and I already know my next car will be a Honda Civic. I've been trying to do some research about the different generations/engines, but have found it all to be pretty overwhelming.

I want to figure out which generations get the best MPG, because I know that the fuel economy ratings can be WAY off, from what I've seen on these forums and others. I'm not sure what my Kia is rated at, but I get about 26 city and 30-32 hwy. I also will get a 5-speed, as I know that can make a difference. I'm not sure which year I'd want, but I'd like to keep it either early 90's or mid-to-late 90's. I'm pretty open to about 93 - 2000, I'd believe, unless there's a pretty significant advantage to one that's pre-93. I don't want to go 2001+, because I like to be able to work on my cars, and the newer are more complicated.

I've noticed that some years have like three different engine types offered? I want a Civic that will be reliable if maintained regularly (pretty much all of them I've heard) and easy enough to work on. I have a decent amount of experience working on the Kia. It has a DOHC motor, and two weeks ago I was able to replace the timing belt and crank position sensor myself.

One more thing; I've been browsing on Craigslist and Autotrader, and places like that but was wondering if there was anywhere I'd be able to find a Civic that hasn't been overpriced. I know they're supposed to be great, reliable care but I feel like the demand for them is higher than for other makes, allowing them to be overpriced everywhere I have looked. Any tips/tricks for finding a decent-priced one?

Thanks for your suggestions and help!
Old 01-26-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: What is the Best Generation Civic? - Thinking of Buying

To answer your price question there expensive because they hold their value really well! If you pay a cheap price for one then it probably has been in an accident or something. Basically you get what you pay for. A Honda with 200k miles still has life in it so it's worth more then other cars with less miles. Try to find one at a reputable dealer that was owned by an older person who most likely took car of it.
Old 01-26-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

6th gen is '96-'00, 5th gen '91-'95. I'm very happy with mine, I owned for just over a year now with no issues. I bought it with 100 000 miles on it and put around another 10 000 on it since I bought it. Oil changes are the only thing it's really needed so far. It is a very basic/simple engine to work on. I check my mileage at every fill up and the lowest it's been so far is 34 mpg but I drive entirely hwy miles.

Personally I think you'd get better value with private sale over dealership but that's simply my opinion.

The only thing I don't like about the 6th gen vs a 7th or newer is the crash safety standards. My 6th gen in 4 star front and 2 star side impact. I've seen the NTSB crash test video of my car and you or your passenger are going to get messed up in a side impact accident.

I just saw a 7gen after hitting a Ford F150 head on last week and unbelievably the driver was unharmed .

So if that's a factor for you I would suggest 7th gen and up.

As far as tips on finding a good one. Look for one that hasn't been modified in any way.
Old 01-26-2012
Professional e

Benner is an unknown quantity at this point

Been rocking a 95 DX with a B16a2 swap now for a few months and have yet to get under 27mpg and that's ripping on it decently. Averaged 32mpg with mild to moderate driving. No problems with it other than stupid **** the person who did the swap neglected like bad axles, and a bad motor mount.
Old 01-28-2012
Registered!!

Koko4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right now I am getting about 27mpg which is about 65% city (if the suburbs count as city??). My main reason for getting a Civic will be MPG increase. I am tired of paying a bunch at the pump. I drive...a LOT of miles. My Kia has 138,000 on it and has been a great car, so I'm thinking the best thing to do will be to drive it until it totally gives out on me and isn't worth the repairs. I think that the side-safety crash ratings should be an important consideration when buying one of these... I have to admit I am less inclined towards the new(er) cars because of the space-ship type look as well as all of the sensors and crap that make them such a headache to work on. Give me an old mechanical engine, with solid, reliable parts any day of the week. From what I've read, the older models (like 93's and 98's in particular) are getting much better MPG's than the newer models. This is 99% based on user reviews on forums, which I know is dependent on driving style, but still. I'd rather get mid-30's than high 20's, because like I said, the Kia is getting 27 and about 30 on the highway. So frustrating!!
Old 01-28-2012
Sedans > Coupes

Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough

It will be hard to find a 6th gen that hasn't been molested, or that is still in good shape. You're better off going for a 7th gen if you want something more reliable. You can't really go wrong with a 7th gen. However they are bigger than the 6th gens, and more expensive obviously. They don't have the "zippyness" of a 6th gen, but they have better security (immobilizer in the key) and are lest prone to theft. 2004-2005 got a facelift, so their front ends aren't the same as 2001-2003.

This is all personal opinion though. Test drive both and pick which one you like more. Just so you know, the D17A1 engine doesn't have VTEC, and the D17A2 does. 7th gens actually have VTEC-E which is more economical and not quite the same as other VTEC systems. Just test drive both
Old 01-28-2012
Registered!!

civic0427 is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends on what you want to do with the car. If your looking into engine mods there isnt as much you can do with the 7th gen as you can the 6th. I have had both. My opinion is the 7th gen is easier to work on than the 6th as long as you have the right equipment. You can never go wrong with a 6th gen though. Try to find one that some little old lady had and hasnt been modded or beat on. IT will be hard to find but they are out there. Goodluck!
Old 01-28-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Koko4
Give me an old mechanical engine, with solid, reliable parts any day of the week. From what I've read, the older models (like 93's and 98's in particular) are getting much better MPG's than the newer models.
Amen to that.

Originally Posted by Brian1037
It will be hard to find a 6th gen that hasn't been molested, or that is still in good shape.
True,true

Originally Posted by civic0427
You can never go wrong with a 6th gen though. Try to find one that some little old lady had and hasnt been modded or beat on.
oh yeah,

My little old lady was actually a 30 year old chick who was totally clueless about cars and took it to Honda for EVERYTHING, LOL. She hated my *** because I talked her down $800 on the asking price because she hadn't done a timing belt on it and it had 165 000 Kms on it. It was the first civic I looked at and completely stock. It is a DX so no tach when I bought it and I was banking on the fact it hadn't seen redline very often if at all. Tach was the first thing I put in it though, LOL

The earlier point I was trying to make is 5th gen is '91-'95, 6th gen is '96-'00. Each gen is pretty much the same aside for comestic differences. So '96-'00 have the same safety rating, mpg, etc. If you like the taillights on the '98 and buy a '00 then just get some taillights off a '98 and put them on your '00.

Just remember the trade off for mpg is safety/safety rating.

the NCAP (European) crash test video....

http://youtu.be/PJhndUSqWUg

Last edited by Stock 99; 01-28-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2012
Registered!!

toucansam333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if anyone mentioned but if you can find a HX model get that. They get a few more MPG's since a few gears are longer in the tranny. I don't think they come with a/c tho and not sure what gens don't have power steering.
Old 02-03-2012
Registered!!

scot0410 is an unknown quantity at this point

I found my 03 EX (7th gen v-tech) from an older man. Completely stock with 33k miles on it. Bought it a few months ago.