General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Best Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Best Oil

i started using rotella d only because my buddy would bring me home a 5qt jug from his diesel job. then i noticed how much cleaner my insides were after using it. I started using diesel oil since and have never gone back. $16 for 5qt here in the peoples republic of liberal gainesville and you cant get ANY oil that protects as well for close to that much. I swear on vital parts of my anatomy that I have never used an oil that has protected my engine better than rotella. I changed my oil at 175,000 exactly last time, I'm at 179262 now and its still gold.
Old 11-15-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^have you sent ur oil to get an UOA? id love to do it to my oil one of these days...
Old 11-15-2011
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

^ive done it before years ago to some place in PA when I lived in VA. Found interesting results too. There is some company, they may still be around, they send you a vile, you fill it mail it in and they send you results. i forgot how much it costs.

Rotella FTW
Old 11-15-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think i will be sending mine to blackstone next year if i get lazy and dont want to change the oil in winter. how much sample do they need?
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gearbox
i think i will be sending mine to blackstone next year if i get lazy and dont want to change the oil in winter. how much sample do they need?
Go to their website and you can request a kit. you will receive a plastic bottle and small ziplock bag. Then, you can mail it out in the box that they send you.

I requested one but I have never sent it back

i started using rotella d only because my buddy would bring me home a 5qt jug from his diesel job. then i noticed how much cleaner my insides were after using it. I started using diesel oil since and have never gone back. $16 for 5qt here in the peoples republic of liberal gainesville and you cant get ANY oil that protects as well for close to that much. I swear on vital parts of my anatomy that I have never used an oil that has protected my engine better than rotella. I changed my oil at 175,000 exactly last time, I'm at 179262 now and its still gold.
Look up Bob is the oil guy forum or google about additives in Rotella, I am just found somebody mention that if they use the zinc something diphosphate(ZDDP) I forgot as an additive. It may harm the Catalytic Converter.The motor oil should not contain Zinc now but I do not know if diesel motor oil will apply.
Old 11-16-2011
^Warranty voider

Originally Posted by kbook
Look up Bob is the oil guy forum or google about additives in Rotella, I am just found somebody mention that if they use the zinc something diphosphate(ZDDP) I forgot as an additive. It may harm the Catalytic Converter.The motor oil should not contain Zinc now but I do not know if diesel motor oil will apply.
I've read Bob is the oil guy before and yeah ZDDP is the additive. Before I discovered Rotella, I had to purchase a quart of it to add to modern motor oil in my 944. The 944s use tappet and bucket followers in the head and they require zinc additives to lubricate properly. Modern oils lacked that additive because, as you pointed out, they can kill catalytics after a few years.

I, as a perpetrator of the environment, the owner of a fuel ****, track ***** and UHEV (ultra high emissions vehicle lol) have no need for this, catalytic converter of which you speak so in my case, it's the least of my concerns but it may be an issue for those in emissions controlled states.

Now Rotella i'm not sure, but I know Mobil has a diesel oil that is supposed to be environmentally conscious (which in my experience, anytime something is energy efficient, or green friendly, or eco-conserving, it doesn't work worth a good ****dammit)

another question though, wouldn't the only way diesel oil would kill a catalytic converter be if you were burning the oil though?
Old 11-16-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

you guys still running a cat? lol haha jk jk.
Old 11-16-2011
^Warranty voider

Castrol labcheck
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=6005538

Mobil Delvac:http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/...emissions.aspx
Delvac 5w-40 info: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...ESP_5W-40.aspx
Rotella T6 emissions and lubrication stuff:http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/t6/
Rotella T conventional oil stuff withj PICTURES! http://www.shell.com/home/content/ro...ducts/tpl_pro/
Rotella T5 blend http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/t5/
Castrol 70,000 mile drain interval oil http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7071985
castrol tection extra http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7020036

these are all available in 10-30 and 15-40 weights. In the winter months I'd be more than satisfied with using a 40w in the summer 10-30 will obviously do it for me. turns out these are more cat converter friendly than I thought. Regardless, theres some info on it for y'all to stuff in your eye holes.
Old 11-16-2011
^Warranty voider

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
you guys still running a cat? lol haha jk jk.
cat-less for >10 years!
Old 11-18-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
honda oil = kendall now. thats the brand they switched to recently at all dealers (in the black bottles). used to be mobil1. they have both semi syn and full syn depending on the car or truck.
I still assume they make a cut from whomever they use?
Old 11-18-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah we used to sell kendall branded oil and it was dirt cheap, even cheaper than the store brand in some cases. we would have the hardcore guys buying cases when it was on sale lol. most did not really care about quality, it was cheap oil for their beater. im sure honda is making a pretty penny from the markups. i've sold straight kendall for $1.50 a quart few yrs ago. i think the main reason honda switched is due to their mobil contract getting so expensive they were hardly making any money off it.
Old 11-18-2011
^Warranty voider

I always thought kendall was crap. Is it decent stuff? It's not Advance Auto Parts oil or Walmart Motor Craft oil I know but is it any good?
Old 11-18-2011
Premium Member

i think its pretty similar to pennzoil. some people swear by it, most think its garbage. i would never use it personally.
Old 11-18-2011
The Boss ;D

94civicd16z6 is an unknown quantity at this point

i use synthetic amsoil in my civic. i buy the extended life, and change my oil and tranny once a year. always heard good things about amsoil, and tranny shifts much better with amsoil. btw, i use the amsoil synthetic manual syncromesh tranny fluid. here's a link to the motor oil i buy. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx
Old 11-18-2011
^Warranty voider

^ ive been using pennzoil synchromesh and i wouldnt trade it for anything.
Old 11-18-2011
Premium Member

by pennzoil i meant the very cheapest motor oil. their synthetics are actually pretty decent like the platinum ultra.
Old 11-19-2011

im planning to switch to rotella form maxlife. what do u guys who are familiar with rotella think?
Old 11-19-2011
Registered!!

Wrx25rs is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Wal-Mart Super Tech Motor Oil, I searched other forum those made from Violine oil Company!
Old 11-20-2011
^Warranty voider

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
im planning to switch to rotella form maxlife. what do u guys who are familiar with rotella think?
i posted links to tech info for the different grades of rotella and what they do and bla bla bla for the best protection and performance, the rotella t6 is the way to go. Fully synthethic, and it was 17 dollars for a gallon jug last time I saw it at the walmart. Walmart only carries the 15-40 though. You can find a 30weight at discount or autozone.

I've put 4,000 miles on my oil since it's last change, and its JUST NOW starting to change from gold to a gold brown.
Old 11-20-2011

Originally Posted by Running Riot
i posted links to tech info for the different grades of rotella and what they do and bla bla bla for the best protection and performance, the rotella t6 is the way to go. Fully synthethic, and it was 17 dollars for a gallon jug last time I saw it at the walmart. Walmart only carries the 15-40 though. You can find a 30weight at discount or autozone.

I've put 4,000 miles on my oil since it's last change, and its JUST NOW starting to change from gold to a gold brown.
im almost certain i read that T6 was a groupIII (thats what i use on my bike) and i thought T6 only came in 5w40?

but yea, they jacked up the price now its $21 for the jug. but still better than mobil tho.
Old 11-20-2011
^Warranty voider

yeah the t6 comes in a 5-40 Rotella T comes in 10-30

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2046_____

What does the group III mean?
Old 11-20-2011
Premium Member

groupIII is like "fake" synthetic. groupIII oils are only allowed to be called synthetic in the usa. in europe you have to be IV or V to quality for synthetic label.
Old 11-20-2011
^Warranty voider

oic. eh i dont put much stock in the european classification system. label our food crops as genetically altered so that they cannot be sold in europe to protect their domestic product. i wouldn't put it past them to find ways to manipulate classifications to protect european companies or something. fukkem. alls i know is that its damn good oil.
Old 11-20-2011
Premium Member

well to be fair, europe has higher standards on pretty much everything compared to here.
Old 11-21-2011

Originally Posted by Running Riot
oic. eh i dont put much stock in the european classification system. label our food crops as genetically altered so that they cannot be sold in europe to protect their domestic product. i wouldn't put it past them to find ways to manipulate classifications to protect european companies or something. fukkem. alls i know is that its damn good oil.
yes, in america, companies found a loop hole in the law/regulations to label dino/petroleum oil as "full synthetic"

but any groupIII is just as good as a groupIV (true 100% man made synthetic oil)

most mobil1, castrol, penziol "full synthetic" are really a groupIII oil...but by no means are they bad...they are all excellent choices (but rotella t6 does perform better generally)
Old 11-21-2011

one thing to note:

rotella T6 is JASO-MA certified.... JASO-MA is one of the HIGHEST oil certification available...MUCH MUCH higher than API...

keep in mind that not even mobil isnt even a JASO MA cert.

just a fun fact.
Old 11-21-2011
^Warranty voider

^you kick *** man