General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.
View Poll Results: How much have you spent on your civic?
under $1000
28.95%
$1000-3000
39.43%
$3000-6000
13.90%
$6000+
17.71%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

How much have you spent on your civic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imported_pete is an unknown quantity at this point
How much have you spent on your civic?

So How much have you spent on your civic?

Just an estimate would do
Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

pico is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by pete
So How much have you spent on your civic?

Just an estimate would do

Just add ons?

Currently $1000K in accesories.
Old 05-04-2006
Registered!!

Rokki is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't remember what all I put into my CRX. She was very well accessorized when I bought her. I miss that car.
Old 05-04-2006
Registered!!

CharlieLink is an unknown quantity at this point
Interior Illumination

I have installed the interior illumination kit in my 06 LX Coupe. I will provide my story this weekend. I believe that I can also add the fog lights. The conflict on my vehicle is the lack of a place to put the switch - I can resolve that easy enough. Once my tires wear out, I will probably go to new (17") wheels/tires for summer and keep the original (16") wheels for winter.

All in all, I expect to remain somewhat under one kilobuck for all my accessorizing.
Old 05-04-2006
Registered!!

Tayler can only hope to improve
Stage 2 crower cams-400
B16 pistons-???
Header-500 somethin
Intake-Cheap
Type R Tranny-1100 with exedy clutch and lightened flywheel
short throw-50
Exhaust-????
SAFC-50
Carbon fiber hood-Around 300-400 probably
Rims + wheels-1000 or a little less
Old 05-04-2006
Registered!!

kero is an unknown quantity at this point
Not a thing at the moment but a new Head Unit and maybe tints.
Old 05-05-2006
Registered!!

GoneIn60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Header- came with the car
Exhaust-200
intake- came with the car
touch screen cd player- 300
underdrive kit- 125
Strut Bars- 180
Old 05-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CharlieLink
Once my tires wear out, I will probably go to new (17") wheels/tires for summer and keep the original (16") wheels for winter.
What's the difference in the wheel size? How is that seasonal specific? Do the smaller tires handle better in rain? Does one get better mileage than the other?
Old 05-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GoneIn60
Header- came with the car
underdrive kit- 125
Strut Bars- 180
OK. What do these things do? Would they be beneficial in any car? Are they cosmetic or do they improve performance?
Old 05-08-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Rokki
OK. What do these things do? Would they be beneficial in any car? Are they cosmetic or do they improve performance?
a header frees up exhaust.. good idea in any car.. exp when combined w/ a cat back or header back exhaust system.. i have had a header or headers on most of my cars.. plus they make it look a lot nicer than a big hunky exhaust manifold under the hood... underdrive kit, that makes the engines accessories rotate slower... that frees a lot of power as well.... just be sure to change the alternator pulley accordingly (usually included with a kit) so tha you dont have charging problems afterwards.... these free up horsepower.. dont actually add any.. just makes your car more efficient... the strut bar, will stiffen the front end of the car in turns over about 90 mph... most people will never actually use this for it's performance reasons, but they do look good.. i have front and rear strut bars on my car... also, my friend's civic got run over by a cement truck over the p.f. corner of the car, and the body shop said the only reason it didn't completely crush it and destroy the car was becuse of the strut bar(that he put on about a week earlier wich his wife was mad about) and because of his 17" wheels...
Old 05-08-2006
Registered!!

yes as 05 put it simply above most of those things are bolt-ons and are for freeing up hp and gain efficiency. 05 did you have to re-locate your clutch fluid when you put ur front strut on? Also Tayler when you installed your stage 2 crower camshaft did you notice a big difference?
Old 05-08-2006
Registered!!

CharlieLink is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheel size

Originally Posted by Rokki
What's the difference in the wheel size? How is that seasonal specific? Do the smaller tires handle better in rain? Does one get better mileage than the other?
The outside diameter of the tire must be the same, so that the speedometer remains accurate. This is why the tire aspect ratio will drop as the wheel diameter increases. Hence, you get P205/55 R16 or P215/45 R17 with some fudging possible if you swap to 50's or 40's. Don't think smaller tires, think smaller wheels = bigger tires.

The advantages: larger wheels means smaller tire height. Better handling with less sidesway. Stiffer ride. Combined with a wider tire width, you get better dry traction. Performance is enhanced. Plus many people think they look better, especially on a vehicle like the Civic with a tight wheel well.

The disadvantages. Ouch, watch out for potholes - wheels have little protection from the tire-buffer. Smooth ride and load capacity is better with the 16". If you like to fill your vehicle with passengers (the Civic holds 5 ???), you can appreciate higher tires. Mud and snow traction (wet) is better with a bigger tire especially with a narrower tire width. Ice is a trade-off dependent more on tire chemistry than size - usually gas-mileage vs. ice traction.

One last item that is significant to me is that my LX has steel wheels that are better for winter. I've scraped and gouged too many aluminum and magnesium wheels in the winter. Keep my steel for then. Corrosion is usually worse on most alloys with winter salt.

I hope this explains some of the issues. Others may disagree with me; I welcome other ideas.
Old 05-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GoneIn60
yes as 05 put it simply above most of those things are bolt-ons and are for freeing up hp and gain efficiency. 05 did you have to re-locate your clutch fluid when you put ur front strut on? Also Tayler when you installed your stage 2 crower camshaft did you notice a big difference?
Yea, there was a pretty significant difference in the higher rpm range. If you want to make them more efficient up your compression. By the end of the year i want to have a full crower valvetrain, rods, stage 3 cams and chipped ecu. It will be hard and i probably wont do it by the end of the year but definitely by next summer. Low 13's and high 12's here i come all motor.
Old 05-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tayler
Yea, there was a pretty significant difference in the higher rpm range. If you want to make them more efficient up your compression. By the end of the year i want to have a full crower valvetrain, rods, stage 3 cams and chipped ecu. It will be hard and i probably wont do it by the end of the year but definitely by next summer. Low 13's and high 12's here i come all motor.
just my suggestion, dont' chip the ecu... juts get it tuned once you finnish your mods... also, i recomend getting high compression forged pistons for your set up... if you do this, you should be looking upwards of 200whp... also, once you gain significant power, you will want to upgrade your drive train.. stage 2 clutch maybe so it's still easily driveable.. my friens' '02 wrx has a stage 3 clutch and it's a pain to drive daily... also, fwd, an lsd is a must.. you will just spin.. also, maybe slicks for track use and a tighter suspension... finally, what goes up, must come down, same goes w/ going fast.. what speeds up must slow down.. upgrading brakes is very important onec you start doing 150+mph.. but keep in mind you will probably want 15" wheels for the slicks, so big brake kit isn't really an option.. maybe some nice drilled/slotted rotors w/ some green stuff pads... just my 2 sence.. i'vebuilt more than my fair share of n/a cars.. and have learned from a lot of mistakes...

gone in 60, my car is a subaru, not a civic so i didn't have clutch resevoir problems.. i've never heard of this though.. may jut be me not being up with the technicalities of civics.. my friends that got run over by a cement truck, however was an automatic so he didn't have to worry about that..

charlie, great explaination.. i agree w/ you 100% but i will also add that an agressive summer tire will also help a LOT w/ rain... these are the tires w/ the v-shaped grooves for those who aren't too familiar.. i got these tires when i upgraded from my stock p205/55r16's to my P215/45ZR17's... and i've noticed a world of difference.. i will post an exact explaination of tire sizes soon since i know a lot of people ask about this when upgrading wheels.. where should i put this???
Old 05-09-2006
Registered!!

ok thanks guys that definatly helps i am thinking about doing some upgraded but i need to find a Ex head first to swap onto my block and a Vtec controller so i dont need an Ex ECU.
Old 05-09-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 05blkrs
also, my friend's civic got run over by a cement truck over the p.f. corner of the car, and the body shop said the only reason it didn't completely crush it and destroy the car was becuse of the strut bar(that he put on about a week earlier wich his wife was mad about) and because of his 17" wheels...
Good heavens! How in the world did that happen? My CRX almost got backed over by a big pickup truck (the hit and run that killed her was also a big pickup). He pulled into the parking lot of my job. I had been behind him the whole way there and turned behind him. When he discovered it was a bank building, not a branch, he put his truck in reverse and backed up without looking. Whoopsie!

Thank you for the info. How much of that would do a big Chevy truck good?
Old 05-09-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CharlieLink
The outside diameter of the tire must be the same, so that the speedometer remains accurate. This is why the tire aspect ratio will drop as the wheel diameter increases. Hence, you get P205/55 R16 or P215/45 R17 with some fudging possible if you swap to 50's or 40's. Don't think smaller tires, think smaller wheels = bigger tires.

The advantages: larger wheels means smaller tire height. Better handling with less sidesway. Stiffer ride. Combined with a wider tire width, you get better dry traction. Performance is enhanced. Plus many people think they look better, especially on a vehicle like the Civic with a tight wheel well.

The disadvantages. Ouch, watch out for potholes - wheels have little protection from the tire-buffer. Smooth ride and load capacity is better with the 16". If you like to fill your vehicle with passengers (the Civic holds 5 ???), you can appreciate higher tires. Mud and snow traction (wet) is better with a bigger tire especially with a narrower tire width. Ice is a trade-off dependent more on tire chemistry than size - usually gas-mileage vs. ice traction.

One last item that is significant to me is that my LX has steel wheels that are better for winter. I've scraped and gouged too many aluminum and magnesium wheels in the winter. Keep my steel for then. Corrosion is usually worse on most alloys with winter salt.

I hope this explains some of the issues. Others may disagree with me; I welcome other ideas.

Aha! I knew that's why my CRX handled so well. I don't remember all the numbers on the tires, but they were R15. They were so cute. The car was a dream on curves. I miss that car.
Old 05-09-2006
Registered!!

TomH is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah the CRX is awesome!
To get back on topic, Ive spent around 2-3k on mine so far, planning to spend alot more, i might hit the 6k mark by end of year..
Old 05-10-2006
Registered!!

[QUOTE=05blkrs]just my suggestion, dont' chip the ecu... juts get it tuned once you finnish your mods...
Everything that i looked at said a chipped ecu is best if i upgrade to stage 3 cams? Not saying your wrong but thats what i always thought, ill have to do some more checking. I want to get something like hondata or something also to tune my car with.
also, i recomend getting high compression forged pistons for your set up... if you do this, you should be looking upwards of 200whp
Yea, i have high compression pistons right now but not forged just b16, do you think they would really be neccesary if im around 190-210 whp?
... also, once you gain significant power, you will want to upgrade your drive train.. stage 2 clutch maybe so it's still easily driveable.. my friens' '02 wrx has a stage 3 clutch and it's a pain to drive daily... also, fwd, an lsd is a must.. you will just spin.. also, maybe slicks for track use and a tighter suspension...
Yea i have a lsd type R tranny so i dont spin a whole lot of the line even with street tires. I have a set of drag radials for this season, last year i ran slicks and got a best of 9.1 on the 1/8th mile. Never ran the 1/4 but what do you think i could hit in it. I was thinkin low 14's.
finally, what goes up, must come down, same goes w/ going fast.. what speeds up must slow down.. upgrading brakes is very important onec you start doing 150+mph.. but keep in mind you will probably want 15" wheels for the slicks, so big brake kit isn't really an option.. maybe some nice drilled/slotted rotors w/ some green stuff pads... just my 2 sence.. i'vebuilt more than my fair share of n/a cars.. and have learned from a lot of mistakes...

Thanks for all the advice, i will have to do some double checking with some proffesionals and see what they say.
Old 05-10-2006
Registered!!

^^^^ that's always the best thing to do.. i'm by no means a professional, but a lot of professionals will also try to get you to do whatever gets them the most easy money
Old 05-14-2006
Registered!!

hotwheels is an unknown quantity at this point
You've mentioned a lot of good suggestions here. Some of these things I've never even thought of , yet they sound like good ideas. I've only spent about $1,500. so far on different little outward appearance things, but I haven't spent any on any modifications for my engine yet.
Old 05-14-2006
Registered!!

CG99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ummm around $2500 at last count.
Most has been on repairs though!!!
Old 05-21-2006
Registered!!

92blk(ivi( is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CG99
Ummm around $2500 at last count.
Most has been on repairs though!!!
Ha! mine has been mostly repairs too. Shortly after I got the car (4 days) some girl rear-ended me at school, as i was waiting for insurance money to come in my oil pump went out and the engine crapped out on me!! So i had to use the insurance money to pay for a new engine instead of fixing the body damage on my car. (Here's the part where i messed up...I went w/ the same engine D16Z6 instead of paying the extra money for a B18C or something!) Then I went to a junk yard and got a new rear bumper and trunk lid to fix the body work myself. I hooked a chain to a tree and hooked the other end to my car and pulled the body back into shape! lol....my dad eyeballed it for me to make sure every thing went back in the right place and we did pretty darn good! lol....anyway after all those reapairs I went out and bought an Injen CAI, 17 inch Motegi DP6's & Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires. Then I bought some black housed altezza tail lights on eBay which was a mistake too because they aren't flush at all...and next week i'm sanding it down for paint! For those of you that actually read all of that, thank you! lol And that's my civic story. (probably should have posted this in another thread)
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

vargasr66 is an unknown quantity at this point
About 3k in all.. most of that was for the engine swap that i did JDM b16 w/ LSD tranny , CIA and SPOON racing chipped ECU..plannig on adding an exhaust real soon and do an interior lightening...Might actually do an engine rebuild soon too..we'll see how it goes first...
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

ESK1k20A2 will become famous soon enough
close to 8000 K20A2 swap K-pro 5 lug swap RSX interior and some other stuff that I can recall
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

ST8RACE has a spectacular aura aboutST8RACE has a spectacular aura aboutST8RACE has a spectacular aura about
I Have Purchased My 2005 Honda Civic Ex Special 5spd For 15,000.
And Have Put In The Vehicle 11,500 More In Upgrades And Mods.
In About Three Months Time . And Just Found Out I Need Another 3000 Dollars To Get It Tuned With The Aem Ems With Wide Band ,750 Cc Injectors,fuel Return System W/pump,manual Turbo Control, And Labor. Time To Sell The Bike . So ,i Have A **** Load Of Money In My Civic .i Hope It Is Worth It In The End. Im Going All The Way.
Old 02-26-2007
hvc
Registered!!

hvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Roughly $1500. Bought myself a decent stereo system.

When i get enough money i may throw in a few performance mods and a set of rims.
Old 02-28-2007
THE LONE STAR STATE

texascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of light
$14,000 in mods.... Maybe $6,000 in mods to come either this year or next.
Old 03-01-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Damn guys. Compared to you, I'm ballin on a budget. $1400 at the moment. But I got some plans to add at least another thousand to that number by the end of the year. LX to EX + stage 2. Yay.
Old 03-01-2007
THE LONE STAR STATE

texascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of light
TRIZ =

Quick Reply: How much have you spent on your civic?