General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Electronic load detector 2001 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nomak is an unknown quantity at this point
Electronic load detector 2001 Civic

My girlfriends car is needing the (ELD) replaced this was confirmed by the dealer ship from a code pulled from the ecm. My question is Is this something I can just plug in and problem solved or is this something a dealer will need to replace as it will require some fine tuning to get it adjusted properly..also I am assuming I will need to disconnect the battery to reset the service engine or SRS light ( forget what its says actually...lol) that is displayed on the instrument panel... I have worked on lots of chevy, fords and chrysler products but never any hondas.. Im just trying to save her some money in labor costs if possible... any info on this greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 07-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
ELD is located on the fuse box in the engine compartment. It is a simple plug in affair. The SRS light, assuming it was caused by the faulty ELD, can be fixed by the SRS reset procedure with a jumper to the SRS service connector inside the car at the driver's fuse panel. Search for the instructions to do this as it has been covered before.
Old 07-09-2005
Registered!!

yeah I found that article on reseting the srs light I think I can manage that tactic.. I actually got looking and the light that comes on is the MIL light "malfunction indicator lamp" .. had her owners manual out reading about it last night... It also stated something to the extent that once the faulty sensor that caused the light to come on is fixed that after so many times of normal driving that it will reset it self some how if it does not see the error code anymore..We will see how that goes if it stays off or not. Im guessing it will need reset... I do greatly appreciate this info and also this is a great forum full of knowledge on these cars...
Old 07-09-2005
Registered!!

Yes, the MIL will reset itself on its own if the problem is rectified. It takes a few key on cycles for that to happen. If you wish to know immediately if there are any further errors logged by the ECM/PCM, you can attempt to wipe the diagnostic codes from the ECM/PCM by removing the negative battery cable for a few seconds and then replacing it. However, I don't recommend this method because it wipes the short term and long term fuel trim parameters which will affect fuel economy in the short term. Use it only in a pinch. Its much better to rectify the problem, and clear the diagnostic trouble codes with a scan tool or let it clear on its own as this will not affect the fuel trim parameters.
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tacheon
Yes, the MIL will reset itself on its own if the problem is rectified. It takes a few key on cycles for that to happen. If you wish to know immediately if there are any further errors logged by the ECM/PCM, you can attempt to wipe the diagnostic codes from the ECM/PCM by removing the negative battery cable for a few seconds and then replacing it. However, I don't recommend this method because it wipes the short term and long term fuel trim parameters which will affect fuel economy in the short term. Use it only in a pinch. Its much better to rectify the problem, and clear the diagnostic trouble codes with a scan tool or let it clear on its own as this will not affect the fuel trim parameters.

Are you saying it will wipe the factory fuel parameter settings if the battery gets unplugged or goes dead, replaced etc....
Old 07-12-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
what he is saying is that the computer will not know an average of your driving habits. yeah it stores this crap. but that helps gas mileage. so when you wipe the slate clean my taking away the memory, it will need to get that info again and that means crappy mileage for a couple of gas tanks. so yeah. i pick dealership with 100k warranty. don't mess with it. let them do it.
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

No, we're not talking about factory fuel parameters. The problem is resetting or going back to factory fuel parameters. If power is lost to the ecm/pcm by a dead battery or unplugging, you will revert to the factory fuel parameters. They are not optimal. The optimal fuel trim settings are learned as you drive. You can set the short term fuel trim by the ecm/pcm relearn procedure after a power loss to the ecm/pcm or you can just drive. The consequences of going to factory fuel parameters is higher fuel consumption over a few hundred kilometres.
Old 07-12-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
i thought thats what i said. crappy gas mileage over a couple of tanks. history of driving erased. thats what i meant though
Old 07-13-2005
Registered!!

ok I understand where you guys are coming from.. I was thinking at first that if the car lost battery power ever then it was gonna have to be taken to the dealer and be reprogrammed..If she just gets bad gas mileage for couple tanks then thats not a biggie to us. just trying to be safe as possible with this thing and avoid the dealer.lol... thanks guys...
Old 07-21-2005
Registered!!

just a follow up .. got the sensor replaced and reset the SRS light with success after three tries..lol everything been working good now.. about week later the MIL light came on but after two days of driving it has went back out.. Not sure if this is the routine maintanance reminder light and just need to reset it like it says in owners manual or should I look into maybe it being a code in the ecm due to another faulty sensor of some sort.. if so is there a way to retrieve the codes on these cars without having a code reader ?? thanks,,,,