General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AnotherDopeStyle is an unknown quantity at this point
loss of power

when i had my oil changed the performace of my civic wasnt the same. it felt sluggish. the oil that was used is the recommended
5w20. should i change to another oil? what type of oil do u guys use?
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I just switched to Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic after 10,000 miles.
After a day or two, I noticed that it was a bit sluggish.
I checked the oil, and it was about a quart over!!!
I read somewhere that sometimes, if there is too much oil,
the crank(or something) can dip into it during rotation and cause loss of power.
I don't know if this is true for our engines, or how much over it has to be in order to make a difference.
Can someone shed some light on this for me?
My advice is that maybe you should check your oil and make sure it's not over.
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

oatmeal is an unknown quantity at this point
i use valvoline sythetic 10-40 and yes i did feel the power ...the accelartion respond better...i'm happy with it...i dunno...if i'm suppose to be using this number but....tell me if i'm not suppose to...i heard alot of 5-20 what the diffence any way[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
How much have you driven your car since you got the oil change? After you change your oil, you're supposed to let the car idle for about 5 mins. to let the new oil circulate through the engine. Otherwise it will feel really sluggish for a little while. Next time you change your oil, notice that as soon as you start the ignition your idle RPMs will be unusually high (a little over 1000). Let your engine idle until it reaches the normal idle RPM (750).
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

I'm not sure about 10w-40 oil, the viscosity may be a bit too high for our engines. Running 10w-40 oil may lead to worse gas mileage and increased engine wear - oatmeal, let us know if you're getting any worse mileage than usual.

All the new Hondas and Fords recommend 5w-20 oil, but I've been using Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic for a while and haven't had a problem. As soon as I can get some synthetic 5w-20 oil (Amsoil or Pennzoil), I'll gladly switch to it.

Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

Pongster is an unknown quantity at this point
htowncivicEX, where do you get your oil change? Any place you can recommend? Thanks. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] Mine is due for a change pretty soon, and I'm not too excited about bringing it down to the dealer.
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

I usually do the oil changes myself. I buy some Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic and an oil filter pan at Wal Mart and drop off the used oil at AutoZone or Pep Boys. You can get an oil drain plug washer at any Honda dealership for around $0.25 a washer, and I have a big case of Honda oil filters that I ordered from some Internet site (can't remember which one at the moment).

On the rare occasion that I do bring my car to a service station (for example, when I'm short on time and I'm about to go on a cross country trip), I bring it to Jiffy Lube. Of course, I bring my own oil, oil filter, and drain plug washer and tell them to use my stuff (Jiffy Lube will give you a $5 or so discount for supplying your own materials).

Jiffy Lube seems to have their act together (they have a database of every car model and use that to determine how much oil and what viscosity they should use). But really, any national chain should be ok. If you're picky about the type of oil/filter you use (like I am), just buy the stuff yourself and tell the service station to use your stuff. The reason why I don't bring my Civic to a service station is because I've heard too many horror stories from my friends about mechanics screwing up a simple thing like an oil change. Bottom line - when I do it myself I can make sure that it's done 100% right. My philosophy is that no mechanic working at a shop is going to care as much about my car as I do.

Btw if you're interested in the place where I got a great deal on Honda oil filters, let me know and I'll look through my old receipts for the name/URL of the place.

Just curious - why are you hesitant to bring your car to your dealer? Have you had bad experiences with them previously?
Old 01-03-2002
Registered!!

2k2civic should not be trusted2k2civic should not be trusted
Hey, I want that internet site. I plan on doing all my own service and stuff, and a case of oil filters is just what I need.
Old 01-04-2002
Registered!!

Pongster is an unknown quantity at this point
Could you please give me the website? Thanks. Reason I'm not too keen to go to the dealer is I've to drop it off in the morning and pick it up when it's done (either lunch-time or before closing). Plus they charge an arm and a leg. I used to go to Jiffy Lube before I moved here, and I really liked their service.
Old 01-04-2002
Registered!!

SoFlaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Visit

www.handa-accessories.com

www.hondaparts4you.com

Oh, and oatmeal........use 5W20, NOT 10W40!!

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2002
Registered!!

briaros6 is an unknown quantity at this point
I go to the honda dealership that's literally just down the street from me. Everything's done right with the right materials and it only costs me 15 bucks for the whole deal plus I get a free car wash each time.
Old 01-04-2002
Registered!!

UncleB is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going to hit the 5k mark really soon (1-2 weeks) so I am going to schedule for an oil change at the dealership. I figure, its a new car so I might as well use the dealer for now. peace.
Old 01-04-2002
Registered!!

pongster and 2k2civic:

The site where I bought the filters is B.C. Imports (www.hparts.com). I got a case of 30 for $116.05 (including shipping), which works out to about $3.87 each. If you buy more, then the cost per filter is even less. Anyways, when I was shopping for filters I called around every Honda dealership in the Houston area, and they all wanted to charge me the MSRP ($6 per filter). Even when I lied and told them I was buying it for my shop, the best price they gave me was still around $4.50 or $5 each. The B.C. Imports price was the best I could find.

I change my filter at every oil change (3000 miles), so that's why I decided to stick with the Honda oil filter. There are supposedly higher performing (read: more expensive) filters out there, but the Honda one is fine as long as you change your filter pretty regularly. The North Texas Prelude Owner's Group web site has a good comparison of all of the oil filters available.

Hope this info helps...
Old 01-04-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
In case there aren't enough replies I'll add one more of my own. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] I changed my oil myself for the first time (around 5,000 miles) to a synthetic-blend I bought at Wallmart for $1.77 a quart. It's 5W-20 and SAE approved for gasoline engines just liek the manual reccomended. After the oil change I actually noticed an increase in power. It's like the enigne reve more quickly and the idle wasn't as chokey as usual. I'm happy. Maybe later I'll switch to full synthetics, but now this Ford stuff is great.
Old 01-05-2002
Registered!!

BTW the part # for the oil filters on hparts.com is 490818 15400-POH-305.