General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Vibrations when braking. Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
conspiracy90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Vibrations when braking. Please help!!!

I'm experiencing a weird vibration on the steering wheel and brake pedal when i apply the brakes at moderate speed (around 50 mph). At higher speed the car shakes when i press the brake pedal a 'little' bit hard. At first i thought it was the ABS kicking in but then i realised it was not ABS because when ABS activates u only feel vibration in the brake pedal and not in the steering wheel. Also, ABS should only come in when the tires are loosing traction which is not the case (dry pavement which i used to drive on everyday without problem). So what do you think it is?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

ayzan is an unknown quantity at this point
Your rotors may be warped. Do you brake pretty hard? if so, you can wear the brakes unevenly which in turn wears the rotors unevenly.
The following users liked this post:
ephesus (06-07-2023)
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rallyred2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I had kind of a grinding feeling on my brakes and I took it into the dealership and they told me it was because Honda made the 2k1 with more metal on the brakes instead of espestis or whatever, that might be it.
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

StraightEdgeCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
probably roters...u need to cut or replace them
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

duyaknow is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't experienced any vibrations, but when I'm going about 45 to 50 mph and want to stop at a redlight I get a sudden jerk, while applying the brakes smoothly. It's weird, because it feels like my car is downshifting automatically or something like that which makes the car jerk. Does anyone with an automatic have that problem on their EX or any other model? The problem happened even before I got rims for my car.
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
hauling it down from 127 mph frequently ehhh?

warped rotors - every time. They may or may not cover it at the dealer - my bet is not.
ephesus (06-07-2023)
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

ModNewbieHELPME is an unknown quantity at this point
the sudden jerk is the car downshifting...I kinda think it is fun. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

I also get the wobbling, also hear it. Not a good thing. Bye
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

Swifty is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like warped rotors to me
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

bluecoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
yea warped rotors, but to add...

your rotors won't get warped just from braking hard, your rotors are made to take that kind of pressure from the caliper (front brakes).
its braking hard for extended periods of time, which overheats your rotors and will warp them.
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

supercivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Ive got the same problem, It sucks, but if I am gonna have to replace my rotors anywhay, I think I'll get the AEM big brake kit. Will those rotors fit in 15inch rims?
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you have to have at least have 16" or bigger wheels to use the Aem brake kit. I plan to get those next after my coilovers com and i can lower my car.
Old 12-13-2001
Registered!!

vtecharry is an unknown quantity at this point
Definitely warped rotors. Mine are starting to warp too. I Get the vibration around 55-60mph. I 've been expecting it though because my '97 had the same exact problem early on too. g6s were notorious for warped rotors. It's funny how my Integra never got warped rotors and I drive it faster, formally race it and it has twice as many miles. It's the crappy light duty rotors they use with crappy cheap brake pads, that's all. I can't wait to get some Brembo (OEM diameter) rotors with some AXXIS pads. This combo works wonders on my GSR. Night & day difference in braking..
What also warps rotors is not only frequent braking from high speeds, it's also when you keep your foot on the brakes when you come to a red light. You should brake early, and then roll the car a little at a time to cool off the rotors evenly, or try and take your foot off the pedal when you 're stopped. If you stop and sit there for 1-2 min. with your foot on the brakes, the area of the rotor the pad is on, is still hot while the rest of the rotor is cooling off. This repeated action eventually causes an uneven surface on the rotor (hot/cold=warp) which causes the vibration next time you apply the brakes. Now I know I haven't been doing that but I have braked several times from 75-80 semi-hard because people cut me off and also had a couple of panic stops where I was almost standing on the brakes, so I knew they 'd warpe soon. It doesn't take much.. I have 12k mi. on the car. Do yourselves a favor and get some decent rotors & pads when you warp your rotors. You 'll be like why didn't I do this sooner? Our brakes suck, plain & simple. Don't need to get slotted or crossdrilled, etc. Just get the Brembo solid ones (called "blanks") with some good biting pads like Axxis, Porterfield R4S and the like (AEM pads are so & so but ok). Now all these pads dust but the rewards & safety are much greater..
Old 06-07-2023
Registered!!

ephesus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Vibrations when braking. Please help!!!

Cheap rotors will also warp, as will your car sitting for a prolonged period of time. I just changed mine out for that reason and I almost never use my brakes. (Ya, sounds funny, but I just anticipate traffic and stop accelerating to avoid having to brake.)
Old 06-07-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Vibrations when braking. Please help!!!

This post is literally 22 years old. Please don't do that.
Colin42 (06-07-2023)