General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

I'm on my rant box, feel free to join me

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GabberHead is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm on my rant box, feel free to join me

Okay, I know some of the veterans on the board are always preaching "search search search" and I agree, we all need to search, I'm supprised there's not a "newbie" category w/ exclamations @ the begining of the fourm so all the newbies can see it when they first enter the forum, but on now to my rant, please feel free to join..... what the HE!! is up w/ all the lame asses that always think that they have to contribute to a thread w/ their stupidity when they don't know what the HE!! they are talking about. Example, and YES this is a reply to one of my own threads when I asked if the Neuspeed STB's letters are etched or vinyl, I got the answer " Dunno, but from the pic it looks like it would be a rough ride''. There are countless other examples on this board where people ask legitimate questions but all they get back are BS answers such as "oh I think it might fit since it fit on my cousin's friend's mom's 86 crx". I wish people would get it in their heads that IF THEY DON'T HAVE FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE ON A SUBJECT THEY SHOULDN'T RESPOND TO THE QUESTIION!!!! And before you all start to flame me, I, by all means, do not think I am smarter than any of you guys. I just know where my place is in the grand scheme of things and know that I should ONLY respond to threads that I have had FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE on the subject and I think that my post WILL ADD SUBSTANCE TO THE THREAD.

Okay... thats the end of my first rant, now own to my second....... what the HE!! is up w/ moronic threads such as the one I just saw were Bartkat asked if the styrofoam bumper insert was needed Uh Duh....Should I keep all the pieces to my car?!?! I swear, are people that stupid? And I do mean stupid.. I know we all have to start from scratch and learn all the intracacies about our cars, but for CRIMMY sakes give me a freaken break!!!!!!!

I really really love this forum for the knowledge it has provided me, I've been online for the past 2 months and have been for the most part quietly browsing thru the forums. I wish to stay a patron of this fourm, but for crying out loud it has become such a pain in the *** to wade thru all the BS and crap in this fourm to find any usefull information. I wish people would quit obessing over their post count. It'd also be nice if people would think first before they post and ask themselves this simple question "am I adding knowledge and DEPTH to the thread I am responding too" I know all you punk asses are gonna try to belittle this rant saying that I'm just crying and acting like I'm better than the average joe. I am not. I'm just sick and tired of wadding thru 5+ pages of threads of complete and utter bs.

Please bring forth the flames, I am now stepping off my rant box.

Good evening, I out.
Gabber
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

BabyLX is an unknown quantity at this point
"I have no idea what your talking about ,but hey do you think you could post some pictures so we can all see!" [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

veloce is an unknown quantity at this point
BS or not, at least you received a reply!! That's alot better than the response that I got...a big fat zero!
Old 11-20-2001
BOOST JUNKY

SpdRcrChk is an unknown quantity at this point
OK Gabberhead, I think you definitely make a strong point. I haven't been at 2K1civic.com for too long, but I have noticed that I've had to like you say "wade" through pages of stuff that isn't really important, nor does it provide info. about stuff. BUT, you gotta remember that this is a public forum and you can't control what everyone posts here. However I think the fact taht there are so many sections in which to post in can weed out some of those b.s. posts. And honestly, as stupid as some of those questions people ask may sound to you, there may just be someone else out there wondering the same thing. I think that's what this forum is for...so that people don't have to be afraid to ask "stupid questions". This reply to your post is in NO WAY meant to flame you. Believe me, I definitely think that you make a good point. But what can we do?
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

Slickwillie is an unknown quantity at this point
I Like the 86 crx........(akward silence)........oh yeah I forgot, no more usless posts

Aaron
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

ALLMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes he does have a strong point....I responded to his Neuspeed thread only after you smartass guys posted "dunno", changes do need to be made, but it can not be instantanious due to our small moderating to member ratio. I'm not an old fart and I do like humor...but if I really need assistance on something and all I can get is smartass answers, then your going to **** me off "royally".....if you can not help then don't post a thing..because you are creating two problems:

1. Your not helping a thing and making the member angry!!!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
2. Your using useless space that you do not have to pay for.....if the cost of running this site came from your pockets..I bet you'd think differently!

Now if we loose members because you guys feel this is ridiculous....then so be it...I'd rather have 100 members that offer a great variety of knowledge and problem solving with modification skills than 10, 000 members with useless posts....Peace!
Old 11-20-2001
BAK
Registered!!

BAK is an unknown quantity at this point
ALLMAN, I agree that there are too many seemingly stupid posts and there has been a ton of repetative questions, but this is a "Forum", and isn't a "Forum" a place to initiate questions, ideas, and conversations amoungst a group of people with a common interest (ie. 2K1 Civics) ? Some people ask seemly stupid questions, but not everyone has the same level of intelligence or understanding of things. Also, some people may ask something that has been addressed before because they might need to hear the answer in a different way or application. If people think something posted is BS or stupid, just ignore it like I do, don't flame people for asking what they think is a reasonable question, or for a stupid post. Yes, I understand fully, that it costs money for space to support this site, and if money is a consideration, have a membership rating based on the amount of money or support given to this site, not by the number of posts. Also, has Derek considered removing the "number of posts", I think people become "post ******" because they like watching their post numbers get bigger.

Peace and I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving !!
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

1. BAK, If you notice there is no more "NUMBER OF POSTS" just Member ID's......getting rid of that function gets rid of posts like"I just hit 100 posts".....that is just another method of cleaning up the site.

2. We've discussed the ideas of member status based upon money donations many,many months ago, actually near the conception of the site...and it was determined then, that unless the site became a pay membership site......that each person to his/her own financial status and we would not do it.....i.e not really fair!!

3. And Yes, if you can not answer a question please resist from being a "smartass" and try to help or just do not reply at all.....Thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

Diznavis is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree that there is too much post whoring going on here, there would probably be a lot less if higher member statuses weren't based solely on number of posts. maybe they should be based on time youve been a member?
Old 11-20-2001
BAK
Registered!!

I hope you didn't think I was being a "smart ***" ! It was never, nor has ever been my intent to sound that way.
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

BAK,

Not at all brother, (I think, or maybe Sister????[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG])..LOL...I did not take it as being a smart *** comment..Peace![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-20-2001
BAK
Registered!!

Good... I'm not, nor ever will be an instigator. Brother by the way... names Barry. This really is a great site, I've been checking it out since September when I went out and got rid of my Grand Cherokee and went back to a Honda Civic. Heck, I even gave Derek a donation ($25)before I even signed up and am planning to help support this site anyway I can. Since I'm one of those "old people driving a civic", at least older than any age I've seen listed so far. A ton of useful info, and a great group of people to converse with.
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

BAK...aka Barry,

I think the oldest, at last check, was a 40 year old member.........Although I'm not that old I'm pushing 30 years old.......great to have you aboard and continue to help our site grow..Peace!
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

Hey ALLMAN, has it ever been considered to chang the "Annoucements Only" Category to something oh say.. "New Members, please read"
or something along the lines that you see at other fourms where new members can be imformed that there is a great deal of info already
contained on the board and that most of their begining questions have probably already been answered?
Also kinda inform them of other standards such as posting key words in the thread title so it will helpful later on when someone tries a search. Also post about other basics such as how to post pics/links etc.

I now that there is that FAQ button on the top of the forum, but it kinda seems that a new members section needs to be more pronounced.

Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

No, not in that particular application, but maybe we should apply more user friendly, higher visible newbie info...although I'm not sure how or how much easier some things can be....but I'll bring it up..Peace!
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

LuvMyCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
How about a newbie section that you have to read before you can sign up? Yes, it would take a little while to sign up, but it would filter out the people that just wanna sign-up for the hell of it, plus, they would get a lot of their questions answered before they even got to the forum.

Of, even have the default page for the forum be that new "today" screen thing, and put a fairly noticable "newbie" link on there?

Just some suggestions...
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

linoleum is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude, you gotta be high if you're expecting to get ONLY constructive responses from a forum that's open to membership from just about anyone who can get online. If you see the same posts from newbies (which probably includes myself) or someone makes a smart *** comment, move on or ignore. But your little outburst accomplishes next to nothing except take up more valuable space you claim to be saving.

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

linoleum: I just knew I'd get some smart *** comment from another member who thinks that I'm trying to act all high and mighty. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/IMG] arggghhh I'm not, the maturity level in general on this board aggrivates me at times. I guess I gotta live w/ the demographics of who is buying the new civic, but if you go out to other boards (BMW, Corvette, heck even some Camaro sites) You don't have the level of stupidity that you find on this board. Yes sure you can find instences of newbies/lame responses on those boards, but it seems to me for the most part people atleast try to think before they post. I guess it just must be an image thing to try to always reply to every thread you read. Hopefully this will be the last reply I post to this thread, I've said what I gotta rant about and you all take it however you guys want. I gotta go install my new STB and Lower Tie Bar now [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

linoleum is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey man, just stating the facts, its aggrevating, but that's life. I hope you find the ideal board of your dreams. good luck.
Old 11-20-2001
Registered!!

Ok, I think our points have been established, and like I stated earlier some things need to change and I will work on it as well as the other moderators..Peace!