General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Rookie 7thgen Shifter Questions

Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joules is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Rookie 7thgen Shifter Questions

Hey folks - just bought my 01 4dr 5sp sedan - totaly pumped!

I wanted to ask for some opinions (and hopefuly facts) about manual driving.

1) Whats worse for your car? RPMs too high - or RPMs too low?
Example: Cruising at about 60kph (im canadian so im speaking in kilometers) i can hold it comfortably at 1,500rpm in 5th gear. The car doesnt do anything strange at that point. But tell me - is it better to be running it in 4th at 2,000rpm? I understand that being in low rpm ranges is more fuel efficient - but - is it healthy for the engine?
Same thing w/ starts: Alot of the time i'll start the car in 2nd (if im already rolling) - but the car occassionaly gives me that low pitched rumble. Is this ok? or should i just rev to 2,500-3,000 in 1st and then switch to second?

2) Do you guys using ur hand-break when starting from a red on a steep incline? I understand taht you can engage the Hand-break.. shift to 1st, and drop the handbreak at the point of friction... is this advisable? or should i just try to master feeling my regular starts a litle faster?

3) What kind of gas do you use when you are not racing? 87 or 89? Is 89 worth the price?

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Tom
T.O. Canada

PS: I understand most of the pepole who use this forum are tuners and performance jockeys. I on the other hand, am not ... (yet). Eventualy i'll get into it - but for now i just want to get the most longevity out of my gas and my car. Thanks a ton for the input.
Old 05-28-2004
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
1) Always cruise in highest gear. Your engine doesn't need to keep high RPMs for any reason (for that amount of time.) It's good to romp on it once in a while. Your engine works less at lower RPMs. Less work = longer life. Start the car in first. There's absolutely no reason to start in a higher gear.

2) I've never had to use my e-brake to get going on a hill, but if it helps you get going, then go ahead. If you're good at manual, you won't need it though.

3) Always 87 until you get some SERIOUS mods.
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

K20A_Wanabe is an unknown quantity at this point
1) You usualy supposted to keep your car at 2500 RPMS whil driving.
I heard if your rpms are below 2500 RPMS it's bad for the engine.

2) I use my hand break all the time better than rolling in the guy behind you.
First time i did it with my dad in the car he was like what the heck did you do i just started to laugh.

3) i use to put 93 in all the time and it's rough so i put in 87 once and it runs so smooth. Never did 89 though. For the prices and smooth riding i would go with the 87.

Make sure when you switch gears you don't shake the car while doing so ezzz the clutch and when starting off try to start at low rpms instead of people going to 2000 and ezzing clutch that will burn your clutch slowly.
Old 05-28-2004
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Sup Joules! First of all, welcome to the site and make yourself at home. Here's a link to the Canada East forums where you'll find the other GTA members and here's a link to the GEN7 team section (all Canada East members).

I run on 87 during the week and if I need gas I get 89 on the weekend...no rhyme or reason..haha.
I like the RPM's somewhat high in case I need to boot in a hurry - I don't want to lagg out and get killed waiting for the engine to wake up.

I use the handbrake when I'm stopped on a huge hill cuz i'm lazy

What trim level you get?
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Joules
Hey folks - just bought my 01 4dr 5sp sedan - totaly pumped!

I wanted to ask for some opinions (and hopefuly facts) about manual driving.

1) Whats worse for your car? RPMs too high - or RPMs too low?
well, having your RPM too low will cause your car to not be very responcive. it will accelerate VERY slow and if you need to get out of a tight situation its gonna be tough. so youll have to downshift, which will waste some time. but at the same time you dont want to be cruising at redline or anything like that. just stay in the 3000-4500 range and youll be fine.
2) Do you guys using ur hand-break when starting from a red on a steep incline? I understand taht you can engage the Hand-break.. shift to 1st, and drop the handbreak at the point of friction... is this advisable? or should i just try to master feeling my regular starts a litle faster?
no, i dont. nothing wrong with it, but i think if you learn the balance of the car/throttle/clutch on hills it will help you with regular driving as well. plus you wont be burning up the parking break as much. not that its really burning it up, but still. the other thing is if you use the parking break thats 3 things you have to control (disengaging the break, engaging the clutch, giving enough throttle). if you have to make a turn also thats just a lot of things to worry about on a hill. i like to keep it simple.

3) What kind of gas do you use when you are not racing? 87 or 89? Is 89 worth the price?
i use regular (87) and occasionally 89 to clean things up and treat my car to something nice. using 89 all the time isnt so good for the car. using 93 actually hurt performance for my car when i tried it.

PS: I understand most of the pepole who use this forum are tuners and performance jockeys.

yeah.....not quite. youd be surprized how few people actually know their stuff on here. many people here are just kids who like to post *****
see the red
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

Thanks for the warm welcome Pharoh
I have the LX-G trim

hmm... seems like theres some mixed feelings here
See, i've always thought that low rpm = best for the car (much like what wht2k2ex said)... but it also makes sense that i should have the car ready to jump at any second...
At this point - as i said earlier - im not looking to race.. i wouldnt say i drive defensively - but i deffinetly dont drive as agressively as many people i know, so its not very often that i need the extra kick from the engine to get my by someone.

Im still a litle torn between the opininos of wht2k2ex and K20A:

Always cruise in highest gear. Your engine doesn't need to keep high RPMs for any reason (for that amount of time.) It's good to romp on it once in a while. Your engine works less at lower RPMs. Less work = longer life.
**Versus**
You usualy supposted to keep your car at 2500 RPMS whil driving.
I heard if your rpms are below 2500 RPMS it's bad for the engine.
Also...
You cruise at 3000-4500 rpm? that seems awfuly high to me -- Isn't it a realy noisy ride?

Last edited by Joules; 05-28-2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Joules
hm, isn't that the same mistake?

break --> brake

and yes!

i use the hand-BRAKE....however...i only use it when i feel uncomfortable with the situasion...such as steep hills....steep parking lot...anything steep that has a high risk of "fast" rolling down...

my trick is:
1. hand brake
2. push the clutch, full
3. insert to 1st gear
4. (tricky) pull out the clutch halfway WHILE pressing the gas half/quarterway...you should feel the same pressure on both of your legs...
5. LISTEN to the engine....you should feel a higher humming (rpm up), and then....
6. release the hand brake....(dont forget this step!!!!!)

is that correct?

Last edited by zen_master; 05-28-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

Sickboy will become famous soon enoughSickboy will become famous soon enough
1. Mixed RPM's during driving is most ideal. Lowest RPM that will propel the car without lagging will yield the best MPG, but will also create less heat. Less heat means less metal wear but also means more carbon buildup and more emissions. This is why smog stations routinely warm the engine and rev the crap out of it before testing if the car looks iffy. I've had 3 cars and tore down engines on 2 of them, both looked great.
2. Handbrake when learning is fine. Even I do it occasionally, when some idiot behind me stops inches from my bumper on a steep hill. I've driven manuals for 8yrs BTW.
3. Use the lowest octane fuel that doesn't ping. Your stock engine should run just fine on 87 I believe. Some gas companies put better additives in their high octane, hence people think high octane has some effect on their engine. Chevron supposedly puts the same stuff in all their grades, and I use their 87 with no problems.
* There are quite a few users here who don't know what the hell they're talking about, but check out the TECH section and see who does.
Old 05-28-2004
I like ruining your threads.

NoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to allNoFriends is a name known to all
Any gear below 2000rpm put a big load on the engine. Alway try to keep your car above that, and you will be fine. Hondas love high RPM so dont be afraid to open it up now and then to clean some of the buildup outta your engine. I cruise daily at 3300-3500 on the freeway with no problems.
Old 05-28-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Just a note, and something that will save you some $$ in the long run...

Next to the clutch pedal there is a foot rest called the "Dead Pedal" make it a habbit to use it. Meaning, DO NOT REST YOU LEFT FOOT ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL, the only time your foot should be on the clutch pedal is when you are shifting!!! If you do you'll be sliping the clutch and causing extra wear = you'll be replacign the clutch earlier.
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Just a note, and something that will save you some $$ in the long run...

Next to the clutch pedal there is a foot rest called the "Dead Pedal" make it a habbit to use it. Meaning, DO NOT REST YOU LEFT FOOT ON THE CLUTCH PEDAL, the only time your foot should be on the clutch pedal is when you are shifting!!! If you do you'll be sliping the clutch and causing extra wear = you'll be replacign the clutch earlier.
definitely good tip!!!
Old 05-28-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sickboy
Some gas companies put better additives in their high octane, hence people think high octane has some effect on their engine. Chevron supposedly puts the same stuff in all their grades

Its been Federaly Mandated that all grades of gas contain the same fuel additives... SO a companys 87 octane gas has the same stuff in it as their 91.
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Its been Federaly Mandated that all grades of gas contain the same fuel additives... SO a companys 87 octane gas has the same stuff in it as their 91.
What year? Jeez, I must be getting old.
Old 05-28-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
here's something to think about for question 1, a member here once said something about that, goes something along the lines of this:
it's good to save gas by being in a higher gear, but when you want to accelerate, wuold it be smarter to just press the gas deeper? Or just stayed at a higher RPM (perhaps 2500 compared to 1500).
basically Low RPMs dont always mean more gas saving. You can stay below 2000 all day, but if you have to floor it on every gear, that still wastes gas.
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

[QUOTE=but if you have to floor it on every gear, that still wastes gas.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Your pedal controls your MPG, not your RPM.
Old 05-28-2004
Registered!!

i could be wrong - but doesn't your pedal control air intake rather than gas?
Ive been thinking that gas is spent every time the engine turns over, not as you depress the pedal ... anyhow.. i'll drive n' compare
Old 05-28-2004
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
welcome