General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

quick ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
quick ?

me and my friend were discussing about cars and he asked me what the hell Torque is and what is it for? all i know is that it has something to do with horsepower, i maybe wrong. Is that the thing that is measured by the tachometer rpm's?
Old 11-10-2003
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
no.
Old 11-10-2003
Registered!!

devilvtec is an unknown quantity at this point
it can be simplified like this, it gets you off the line
Old 11-10-2003
I wish I was asian

torque:

noun
1. the moment of a force; the measure of a force's tendency 2 produce torsion and rotation about an axis, equal 2 the vector product of the radius vector from the axis of rotation 2 the point of application of the force and the force vector. 2. a turning or twisting force.
transitive verb
inflected forms: torqued, torqu·ing, torques 2 impart torque 2.
etymology
from latin torqu*re, 2 twist; c terkw- in indo-european roots.

its not measured by the tachometer. you want torque, but so much that you'll spin your tires excessively.
Old 11-10-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
Re: quick ?

Originally posted by CiViCPrAnInG2k1
me and my friend were discussing about cars and he asked me what the hell Torque is and what is it for? all i know is that it has something to do with horsepower, i maybe wrong. Is that the thing that is measured by the tachometer rpm's?
lol this was to funny so i decided to give ya a link to a site where it explains torque to you so HERE
Old 11-10-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Torque, a measure of an engines force.
its what you Feel when you accelerate.

Horse power is just an equasion of Torque at a certin RPM's. More torque at a higher RPM = High Horsepower #s.

Idealy for a High performance engine, you want your torque to peak out at a High RPM.

This will Explain it all and prove that High Hp # are only an expression of High Torque @ high RPM.
Old 11-10-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
HP=torque*RPM/5252

Horsepower is derived from the engine's torque. When you dyno your car, the roller is measuring torque. Thus you can alter how much the car puts down simply by changing the wheel diamerer (Torque=RxF, so if you alter the radius from the axle to the ground, you'll alter the number). Your wheel weight will also make a difference since its an internal loss to the car that the engine has to turn the wheels before it can move the car.
Old 11-11-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
^^^^ one more reason to get "Short" tires.
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

Elite is an unknown quantity at this point
^ that doesnt make sense you'd have more better and faster tires with bigger and lighter tires, i dont get the rc car going on, you get small tires, it will rotate quiter, thus diameter is smaller

Lets say you put a bar on the ground and roll it, then lay a bigger bar thats the same weight but much bigger with the same amount of force the bigger one will roll faster and farther. That simple,

^ i have a feeling that you think blackies will increase response, I don't like those people for this reason they think they are cool, just accept the fact that it is rice, keep your hubbies on. Why do you think dragsters, have huge tires in the back?
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

oops my bad your autocrossing and you dont know that?
Old 11-11-2003
I wish I was asian

smaller tire = quicker acceleration.

larger tire = higher top speed.

in autocross you rarely, if ever, get to your top speed. Instead, you brake, turn, and accelerate more. So a smaller tire is better for autocrossing.

in a drag race, you have to think about if you'll reach your top speed or not. then decide whether acceleration will reach the finish line faster for you or if you can get to your top speed before the track ends.
Old 11-11-2003
Registered!!

please explain to me how is it quicker acceleration, as I once said before, look at the dragsters, do they have small tires in the back and what kind of seconds do they get?
Old 11-11-2003
I wish I was asian

smaller tire will rotate more times than the larger tire. if it rotates more and faster, then you have quicker acceleration than the larger tire. you dont cover as much ground as the larger tire, but it takes less energy to move that smaller tire (granted its lighter or the same weight). you have to take in the rotational mass when the wheel begins to move.
Old 11-11-2003
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by Elite
please explain to me how is it quicker acceleration, as I once said before, look at the dragsters, do they have small tires in the back and what kind of seconds do they get?
dont you think that they take the Diamiter of the tires in to consideration when they set up their gearing? we dont have that option, so we shorten the gearing by any means possible. ie short tires.

what that does is basically put the engine at a higher RPM for any given MPH, putting the car nearer or in the power band = more usable power more often.
Old 11-11-2003
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
zzyzx did you get my pm?
Old 11-11-2003
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by acidbaby
zzyzx did you get my pm?
Sorry about that, I can be slow at answering those things some times.,
Old 11-11-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
i didnt read all that, but here is what it is, very simplified:

Torque is the amount of power the engine has; how much work it is capable of doing. It says nothing about time, simply the maximum force.

Horsepower is the rate at which that work is done. Horsepower says nothing about the maximum force the engine is able to exert, but says everything about how quickly it is able to exert that force. That's why some trucks can have 1000+ ft/lbs of torque, but near 300 horsepower. These engines are very slow, but can do a lot of work.
Old 11-12-2003
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
so the higher the torque of a car, the better right?
Old 11-12-2003
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by CiViCPrAnInG2k1
so the higher the torque of a car, the better right?

Kind of, you want High torque at a High RPM. Truck engines (particulary Diesel) make Tons of Torque, but at a low RMP. Great for towing but not so good for going fast.

Why????

It is better to make torque at high rpm than at low rpm, because you can take advantage of *gearing*. :-) = more accleration for a longer Duration.