General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

anyone know how to get paint off

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003
The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits. As seen on TV by QBoi.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
anyone know how to get paint off

without damaging plastic?? i gotta bring my car back to stock as much as possible
so i can trade it in for a type s rsx.....i have the dash and center console painted
and need to take the paint off.....i know they have spray can paint remover but
i think it damages plastic

im also looking for a few parts btw.....stock rear 01 sedan springs and the front grill

any and all help is appreciated
Old 10-09-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
ummm maybe gasoline? i heard that works but not sure if it wil harm the paint (even though i do spill it on my car everytime i pump gas) but my car still looks fine!! lol

edit: wait you wanna take off paint ? what kinda paint? like spray paint right? i misread it!!
Old 10-09-2003

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
i think its krylon spray....the cheap stuff
Old 10-09-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
cant you just paint over them??
Old 10-09-2003

that grey color??...i guess i could....or just paint them all black....
Old 10-09-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
id say just paint them black...

the dealer wont care as long as you dont point it out to them
Old 10-09-2003

ok....i got lots of black paint so that should be easy......so how much you want for that grill?
Old 10-09-2003
Civicforums Junkie

PM sent
Old 10-09-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Don't use anything solvent based on plastic. You'll just melt it. You could either sand the paint off, or paint over it. If you did a good job, just leave it, tell them its a trim kit.
Old 10-09-2003

Originally posted by Boilermaker1
Don't use anything solvent based on plastic. You'll just melt it. You could either sand the paint off, or paint over it. If you did a good job, just leave it, tell them its a trim kit.
unfortunatly i didnt do a good job.......ill paint over it....its only gotta hold out for a few days
i guess........
Old 10-09-2003
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Boilermaker1
so, using mineral spirits/paint thinner on plastic is a no-no?
Old 10-09-2003
x-factor

prototype is on a distinguished road
use this stuff call afta comes in a white metal can.....that will take the paint off
Old 10-10-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by xRiCeBoYx
so, using mineral spirits/paint thinner on plastic is a no-no?
Usually. Some plastics it won't do anything to, others it eats right through. If you can't be sure, then its a good idea to just not try it.