North East Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

2003 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rphbunny is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Honda Civic

I was told today my timing belt needs replacement 76000 miles. I had it replaced 3 years ago. How long does a belt usually last? this doesn't seem right to me. Dealer wasn't aware it HAD been replaced. What's up?
Old 09-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 Honda Civic

I had it replaced 3 years ago
You have 7 years or 100,000 miles from that date and mileage. That's the interval specified in the owners manual IIRC.

Dealer wasn't aware it HAD been replaced. What's up?
Well, you answered your own question there: "Dealer wasn't aware it HAD been replaced."

We can't see the timing belt during a simple visual only type checkover, so we might make recommendations based on time and/or mileage, or ASK if you have had it done already.
(When I have no real service history available on a car, I always make notes for the advisor to ASK the customer..... I have no idea if that's what really happens though.)

It's up to you, the owner of the car, to keep track of when and what maintenance has been done. If you are a "floater" (you don't stick with one shop) then nobody will have any records of what services you have had done elsewhere.

If You know the timing belt was done 3 years ago, did you inform them of that when they tried to sell you another one?

HTH