Engine building Talk about engine building here. Forged pistons, bushings, etc.

Hard Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016Touring is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard Pipes

Just curious if anyone makes hard pipes for the 1.5L turbo motor.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 02-20-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: Hard Pipes

? What are "hard pipes? Do you mean aluminum piping for the turbo?
Old 02-21-2017
Registered!!

Yes aluminum piping for the turbo instead of rubber. I believe this should help with the flow of boost pressure.
Old 02-22-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 2016Touring
Yes aluminum piping for the turbo instead of rubber. I believe this should help with the flow of boost pressure.
Why would it help? The intake tract has 18 or so psi on it at full boost. The piping will not be the flow restriction. As long as boost isn't falling off at WOT and is staying consistent at designed system pressure then the engine is eating as much air as the cylinder can swallow. If the pipes could flow more the cylinder can still only hold so much at the set intake pressure.

Now maybe a larger volume intake pipe system would have a cooler charge. Not likely as cramped as the engine compartment is on the turbo cars. But the larger volume piping takes more time to fill and achieve full boost. It might not be something that could be measured, it might be a tiny amount of time.

Personally I think the 1.5T is pretty much at the limit of what it will produce in terms of power. In the larger CRV engine compartment with a larger turbo, fuel injectors/pump, and intercooler it gains about 15hp. I think the civic hatch sport is rated at 180 with a better exhaust. I would be very surprised if these engines ever go into the 220h range without a very large amount of mods.

But if you wait a little while I am sure some company will start making kits for aluminum piping for the civics.
Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Ok cool I have friends with turbo cars that have made the switch to hard pipes. I just thought I'd ask. I am very happy with my 1.5T as she is a blast to drive.