10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Numerous Engine Lights are ON

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay Lock is an unknown quantity at this point
Numerous Engine Lights are ON

Hello,

I have a 2012 Civic that now has numerous indicator lights that are on below is the list.

Check Brake System
Check TPSM System
Check emission system
Check Air bag system
Check power steering system
Check ABS
Check VSA system

Drove the car to work no issues. Get into the car and start it up and all of the indicator lights are on. Car does not run smooth and I attempted to scan for codes with a OBII meter and it is not communicating with the main computer.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
Old 07-20-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Numerous Engine Lights are ON

What you see is typical. A single check engine light code can cause many other systems to set related fault codes as many interlinked systems rely on info obtained from the engine computer. Same can go for ABS related issues, a single fault code can turn on several other warnings.

Did your code reader ever work on this particular car? Try a different reader?
(Your average OBD2 code readers won't be able to touch all of the other systems on the car)

Also.....Rodents love to eat wiring and tubing.
Old 08-04-2016
Registered!!

No. I took the car to a local shop that repairs imports and he stated that none of his readers can read the ECU. It appears that the ECU stopped working.

I am considering removing and replacing the ECU, ignition switch and keys. Are there any other components that will need to be replaced. I had this same issue with my older BMW several years ago and replaced the same items and it worked out well.
Old 08-04-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay Lock
No. I took the car to a local shop that repairs imports and he stated that none of his readers can read the ECU. It appears that the ECU stopped working.
It's a PCM, and if it can still run the engine then it hasn't quit working completely.
You apparently have a communication problem, a network problem, or a reader/scanner that's too old to read these newer cars.

I am considering removing and replacing the ECU, ignition switch and keys. Are there any other components that will need to be replaced. I had this same issue with my older BMW several years ago and replaced the same items and it worked out well.
These aren't like the older cars. It's just not that simple.

You'll be money ahead to take it to a Honda dealership (hopefully with at least one really smart tech who can actually diagnose) before throwing fistfulls of money at something you have zero access to electronically, and zero information on fixing.

Where are you located? Maybe I have a contact who can help.
Old 08-04-2016
Registered!!

Wilmington, North Carolina.
Old 08-04-2016

I'll have to look later when I have more free time.

Also, if it does turn out to be a genuine PCM problem, it's covered by warranty for 8 years/80,000 miles. Check your warranty info booklet in the glovebox.
I doubt it will be that though, these things have been pretty reliable in my area.
Old 08-04-2016
Registered!!

It starts up and runs, but runs rough. Actually runs good once it reaches a speed of 35+.
Old 08-04-2016

Nobody found in my Rolodex from either Honda dealer right now. Sorry.

It starts up and runs, but runs rough. Actually runs good once it reaches a speed of 35+.
Did you try Autozone or similar parts stores for reading codes for free?

If your local independent shop doesn't have the scanner equipment to handle it, just take it to your dealership.
You KNOW they have the correct equipment to handle it.

Open the hood and look for rodent chewed wiring on the injectors and coils?