Photography & Videography Post your shots and ask your questions here.

new photography thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light
Re: new photography thread

Here are a few of my trip to China 2 weeks ago not the best quality but they look nice i guess. enjoy

Old 06-24-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Old 04-05-2009
Registered!!

julezeve has a reputation beyond reputejulezeve has a reputation beyond reputejulezeve has a reputation beyond reputejulezeve has a reputation beyond reputejulezeve has a reputation beyond reputejulezeve has a reputation beyond reputejulezeve has a reputation beyond reputejulezeve has a reputation beyond reputejulezeve has a reputation beyond reputejulezeve has a reputation beyond reputejulezeve has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody, here is some of my work, I shoot pretty much everything but posting only car and model here

Criticism is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	76059   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	76060   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	76061   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	76062   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	76063  

Old 10-19-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm bringing this thread back from a year and a half ago.. just because I like playing with the SLR I got a few months ago

Name:  IMG_1238.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  33.5 KB
Lightning's an *******.. wouldn't sit in one spot for me to get a really good pic.
Old 10-20-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Photography thread is always good. I wish I still had a nice slr, I use to be really big into photography. I am trying to get me another soon so I can get back into it. I am thinking bout getting another Nikon but I seen this one guy with a Olympus and it took really dang nice shots.
Old 10-20-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I bought me a Canon T1i back in August, just so I could delve into SLR shooting.
Old 10-20-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice/lucky shot

I plan to get myself a SLR too, not looking at anything fancy, maybe a 12mp fujifilm

start playing with some HDR!!
it produces some AMAZING results
Old 10-20-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Very nice/lucky shot

I plan to get myself a SLR too, not looking at anything fancy, maybe a 12mp fujifilm

start playing with some HDR!!
it produces some AMAZING results
Lol.. lucky shot indeed. That was one of 15 20-second exposures I did, only 3 of which produced a lightning bolt. I was so pissed on one of them when the 20-seconds was up then the BIGGEST FREAKIN LIGHTNING BOLT struck right where my camera was pointed. I shook my fist at the skies and called the lightning an *******..

I gotta find a good program to do HDR blending. Photoshop doesn't produce the quality of HDR I would like. I was recommended a program called "photomatix" or something like that from a friend of my dad's.

As for camera, I think I'm gonna stick with my T1i for a while. It's a good entry-level, I'm not too worried about HD video, hence why I opted for the T1i vs. the T2i. I'm gonna start saving up for some nice glass for my camera though. I have 4 lenses, and my 50mm f/1.4 is definitely my favorite, by far. I also recently picked up an 18-135mm so I don't have to lug around 2 different lenses (my 18-55mm and 55-250mm) and still maintain a decent zoom. I'm not too much of a fan of my 55-250mm lens, too
Old 10-20-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Lol.. lucky shot indeed. That was one of 15 20-second exposures I did, only 3 of which produced a lightning bolt. I was so pissed on one of them when the 20-seconds was up then the BIGGEST FREAKIN LIGHTNING BOLT struck right where my camera was pointed. I shook my fist at the skies and called the lightning an *******..

I gotta find a good program to do HDR blending. Photoshop doesn't produce the quality of HDR I would like. I was recommended a program called "photomatix" or something like that from a friend of my dad's.

As for camera, I think I'm gonna stick with my T1i for a while. It's a good entry-level, I'm not too worried about HD video, hence why I opted for the T1i vs. the T2i. I'm gonna start saving up for some nice glass for my camera though. I have 4 lenses, and my 50mm f/1.4 is definitely my favorite, by far. I also recently picked up an 18-135mm so I don't have to lug around 2 different lenses (my 18-55mm and 55-250mm) and still maintain a decent zoom. I'm not too much of a fan of my 55-250mm lens, too
Lol, im a simple person, im okay with a Fujifilm S2500, and stick with one lense, not looking to spend over 500 on any camera, since tech keeps coming out with new stuff

And for video use, i have a 1080p kodak Z3 video camera, so im not worried about videos

I first learned about HDR by snooping around places and found this website
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/01/hd...are_beauti.php

I then got intrigued and started doing my research
and found this amazing website
http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/
this guy is crazy, amazing photos, he teaches how to do it, and uses photomatix as well

So i went and got my copy of it (wont mention how :rollseyes: )
and started playing with it

this is my first shot which i think turned out awesome
Name:  HDR001.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  155.3 KB
Old 10-20-2010
Administrator
Administrator

very nice

I tried doing an HDR of the Bellagio Fountain, but it didn't turn out as nice as I had wanted, also using PS as the HDR program.

and yea, I bought the SLR for 750, came with one lens, got the 55-250 as part of a best buy deal for $300 (if i bought the package, got $200 off and triple reward zone points), bought the 50mm lens for $250 on ebay, and the 18-135mm lens on ebay for 150
Old 10-20-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Photoshop's HDR is horrible, dont even bother with it lol

I tried it with crappy results

And ouch, for that price, i would have opted for the Nikon D90 :X
Old 10-20-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Nah, the D90 kit alone was 1200, and that only came with the 18-55mm lens. That, and the best buy deal didn't include the D90. I do like the feel of the Canon more, and it is a bit easier to navigate. I would like the LCD screen at the top with the cam settings, but all that shows up in the viewfinder anyways.
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

hey Kenny, how'd you do the tilt-shift effect with that house pic?

And here's me tinkering with the HDR program I was recommended (Photomatix).
Used 5 different shots:
All - f/3.5
All - ISO 100
shutter speeds at 1/4000, 1/2500, 1/1250, 1/800, and 1/400 to get the different EVs

Each one started with a different preset, then I tinkered with them to get what I wanted.. kinda.
Name:  HDR2.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  85.7 KB

Alls I gotta say: Stupid clouds.. why they gotta move around, creating that ghosting effect.. bah.. lol
Old 12-05-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Tilt shift?
I didnt do any tilt shifting on the house

This, on the other hand, was tilt shifted
Name:  EM2.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  63.7 KB

Don't use photoshop for HDR, they make for horrible HDR photos
Use Photomatix instead, so much easier, especially for removing ghosting

Let me know if you want a copy *wink*

And also, I dont use 5 pictures, I use 3. I have brackets at EV -1/0/1
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

the house pic looks kinda like it has a tilt-shift effect..
regardless, how'd you do it without a tilt-shift lens?

and yea, I was using photomatix with those HDR pics. Still learning how to mess with the stuff, tho.
me tinkering with photomatix for tone mapping, too
original:
Name:  IMG_0740.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  60.3 KB
tinkered with:
Name:  LakeMead.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  81.3 KB
Old 12-05-2010
Kenny the Ricer

It's called photoshop, and a "Blur" filter

...Maybe you've heard of it?

And i'm trying to learn how to play with lightroom, I know the effects are awesome, gonna play around with it.
Nice pix though, would be better if you zoomed in a tad more, get the sun to bounce off your car
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

It's called photoshop, and a "Blur" filter

...Maybe you've heard of it?

And i'm trying to learn how to play with lightroom, I know the effects are awesome, gonna play around with it.
Nice pix though, would be better if you zoomed in a tad more, get the sun to bounce off your car
I'm tinkering with one program at a time.. that, and I think I'm gonna buy a legit copy of CS5.. student discount knocks it down to 300 bucks.. lightroom, too.. student discount knocks the price down to 90.

and yea.. i know.. It was a bit of a rushed pic because there were cars approaching, so I hopped out, snapped the pic, and ran back. I wasn't too terribly pleased with the zoom, but it was a cool shot with the desert background. That was taken back in August. I made a random trip out to Lake Mead and started snapping pics.

here's another one. Just messing around with getting vivid colors.. making the **** look cool.. lol
Original:
Name:  IMG_0739.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  46.0 KB
Tone Mapped:
Name:  LakeMead2.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  50.4 KB

This one I purposely had zoome out a bit because I wanted a good portion of the lake in the background.
Old 12-05-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Looks good

And I have a complete set of Adobe CS4 Master Suite, I honestly CBA'd to get a copy of an extended version, not much has changed
It's just Adobe's way of gouging into corporate wallets
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Administrator

CS5 extended is $200, not $300, with student discount.. down from a grand.

And I'd only get CS5 because I don't know where to get the student discount anywhere else but straight from adobe
Old 12-05-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Just pie

Rate it
Old 12-05-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Ooh, I know what you mean now

When I take a picture on my balcony, tripod isnt high enough to see over the ledge, so I put the tripod on the roof tiles, which are angled down, creating the angled effect you're talking about

I just made another half **** photo about 20 mins ago with the new camera
Name:  Home1.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  115.8 KB
ISO 64
Shutter Speed 1/50, F6.4
Old 12-05-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Name:  DSCF1119.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  60.5 KB

Talk about being bored
Old 12-06-2010
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Photomatrix for hdr's... yeah, PM me with some "details" on that plz. Nice shots guys. I gotta Canon t2i with the kit EFS 18-55mm f3.5 IS lens, and the EFS 55-250mm f4 IS lens. I'm more into HDSLR video tho, which is why I purchased a slider from Igus recently and am looking for a tripod video head to dedicate... possible motorization later on down the road for some slick motion timelapses.

BTW, yall seen the new Canon 60D? That thing feels like the 7D and makes my t2i feel cheap. 4-500 more tho, cant justify it for a flip out screen among other features I probably wouldnt use.
Old 12-06-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Photomatrix for hdr's... yeah, PM me with some "details" on that plz. Nice shots guys. I gotta Canon t2i with the kit EFS 18-55mm f3.5 IS lens, and the EFS 55-250mm f4 IS lens. I'm more into HDSLR video tho, which is why I purchased a slider from Igus recently and am looking for a tripod video head to dedicate... possible motorization later on down the road for some slick motion timelapses.

BTW, yall seen the new Canon 60D? That thing feels like the 7D and makes my t2i feel cheap. 4-500 more tho, cant justify it for a flip out screen among other features I probably wouldnt use.
I'll hook you up with "details" later, posting from my phone because the laptop is shut down and I randomly woke up at 3:30 -_-*

That is, unless Kenny hooks it up first.. Lol. As for the camera "quality," my buddy has an EOS 5D MKII, and DEFINITELY makes me T1i feel cheap as hell. I have the same lenses you have, and I'm gonna be completely honest, not a fan of the 55-250.. my favorite lens I have is my 50mm f/1.4, only beef being it's stuck at 50mm zoom, so I hafta be further from the subject when I shoot. My 5D MKII buddy recommended that lens for best "bang for buck" and I snagged it off eBay for $250 shipped
Old 12-06-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by TRIZ

Smiling Elephants v4.0.2 (32 bit)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9I74OZDQ

Leaping Bunnies v4.0.2 (64 bit)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LN5BM1F0

Remember, I do not condone illegal activity
so enjoy

Both are uploaded by me, and verified working
Old 12-06-2010
Banned

Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Looks good

not much has changed
It's just Adobe's way of gouging into corporate wallets
This is only true if you only use Photoshop or Illustrator and arn't working in the design industry. If you think writing mxml files in flash builder or developing action script 3.0 files in flash or rotoscoping in After Effects CS4 is the same as CS5 then you just havn't used the new features. Not that this is an adobe forum so I wont hate on you too much.
Old 12-06-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Oh, dont remind me of action script....
It doesnt like me, and the feeling is mutual :P

and TBH, even though I have the Master Suite...
I dont use anything except Photoshop, and Dreamweaver

I plan to learn InDesign and After Effects in the near future though, I played around with after effects, and became totally lost. So i'll use windows media maker until i take a class in After Effects lol
Old 12-06-2010
Banned

Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Dreamweaver CS5 has a pretty good new live view and inspector tool but it will not recognize dynamic php coding which makes it annoying for me at work. Honestly Ae is big but if you ever learn Cinema 4d or Maya joining them with After Effects makes you very valuable. I have a BA in graphic design and back in school I was always told learn action script or 3d modeling so I learned both and Im glad I did. Learn action script 3.0 and you'll be able to name your price, but then you gotta look at ****ing code all day like my attached screenshot. LOL Oh and Indesign is very easy to learn just make sure you know typography like the back of your hand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	79743  
Old 12-07-2010
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I'll hook you up with "details" later, posting from my phone because the laptop is shut down and I randomly woke up at 3:30 -_-*

That is, unless Kenny hooks it up first.. Lol. As for the camera "quality," my buddy has an EOS 5D MKII, and DEFINITELY makes me T1i feel cheap as hell. I have the same lenses you have, and I'm gonna be completely honest, not a fan of the 55-250.. my favorite lens I have is my 50mm f/1.4, only beef being it's stuck at 50mm zoom, so I hafta be further from the subject when I shoot. My 5D MKII buddy recommended that lens for best "bang for buck" and I snagged it off eBay for $250 shipped
I've used my 55-250mm in two notable situations.
1) For portraits where the background is out of focus, rocking the dept of field
2) For zooming way way way in when I'm doing nature stuff and I want get a good shot of that mountain in the distance.

Yes the build quality is just slightly better then the kit lens, but it has really good bang for the buck if your looking for a zoom lens with image stabilization.

My buddy has the 7D and it has the same image sensor as the T2i, so pictures and video come out the EXACT SAME. I cant complain about my T2i because I havent used half of the settings on it yet and I've had it since mid summer. Anways, my 7D buddy has the 7D's kit lens and two others from the prosumer ultrasonic series and they are pretty nice... lucky me, I can steal them at any time. I wish I personally had a lower F stop lens, but dont have a grand to drop on one at the moment.
Old 12-07-2010
Administrator
Administrator

If you wanna play with depth of field, find a lens that can get to aperture settings like f/2.8 and bigger (smaller number). I haven't quite taken my 50mm f/1.4 past f/2.5 because I find it kidna hard to work with. At f/2.0, I took a pic of my keyboard as the only thing in focus was the "h" key. Pretty fun to play with though. In low light situations, I usually keep it at f/2.8. Also, when I want some zoom, I have a 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Here's kind of a cool shot I took a the local Ronald McDonald house for a speech I was giving, f/2.8, iso800, 50mm fixed:
Name:  LunchBag.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  27.5 KB

Quick Reply: new photography thread