Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Should I run a cat or a straight pipe with my new headers and exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Should I run a cat or a straight pipe with my new headers and exhaust?

Hey what's up everyone? My name is Rob, I'm driving a 98 civic ex. I just got in a whole exhaust system. Skunk 2 alpha 4-1 headers and skunk 2 cat back exhaust. I'm getting the blox straight pipe and I'm trying to figure out how I should set this up. This setup doesn't work with a stock cat and the straight pipe is straight up illegal especially in my city Phx AZ. I'm not due for emissions anytime soon but I don't want to set it up with the straight pipe if that's not legit. I'm thinking about getting a high flow cat to put in there. Obviously I'm gonna have the muffler shop do the job I'm not a welder I wish I was. This is my daily driver and I'm trying to make it legit but its not just a track car or anything. I don't want it to sound like **** and be throwing cel codes in my face. What are all of you other guys running out there.?
Old 01-10-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I run a cat or a straight pipe with my new headers and exhaust?

I have a Random Technology high flow cat in my 2002. Direct bolt on (I used their install kit: doughnut gasket and downpipe to midpipe gasket, bolts, & nuts), 49 state legal, bungs welded in for upstream and downstream sensors, no CEL. Looks like the D16Y8 version is 275 (shipped) at thmotorsports, and the install kit is another $28. 2.5" flared inlet, 2.25" piping, mates up well with my Kamikaze header and my A'PEXi WS2 exhaust (60mm/2.36" piping).

I've had people say they hate rice rockets, but like the way my car sounds. My car is also just a DD.
Old 01-11-2016
Registered!!

Phillip123 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://prntscr.com/9oqjzj

^That!
Old 01-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rob02Civic
Hey what's up everyone? My name is Rob, I'm driving a 98 civic ex. I just got in a whole exhaust system. Skunk 2 alpha 4-1 headers and skunk 2 cat back exhaust. I'm getting the blox straight pipe and I'm trying to figure out how I should set this up. This setup doesn't work with a stock cat and the straight pipe is straight up illegal especially in my city Phx AZ. I'm not due for emissions anytime soon but I don't want to set it up with the straight pipe if that's not legit. I'm thinking about getting a high flow cat to put in there. Obviously I'm gonna have the muffler shop do the job I'm not a welder I wish I was. This is my daily driver and I'm trying to make it legit but its not just a track car or anything. I don't want it to sound like **** and be throwing cel codes in my face. What are all of you other guys running out there.?
straight pipe might get you pulled over and your engine looked at by the fuzz

any muffler shop should be able to make your exhaust work.

I would just run the stock cat. it will probably have better manurisims for a DD with stock exhaust and would attract no addition law enforcement attention.

If you have not done serious mods to your engine then you will most likely loose hp with straight exhaust back pressure.
Old 01-20-2018
Registered!!

stock_ex is an unknown quantity at this point

I was looking in to this too just yesterday. Im thinking about replacing my exhaust headers and catback. I was also concerned with emissions testing if I bought a high flow straight pipe. I decided to get the high flow cat. I've found one for $230 online. After taxes, I'm going to do the swap out. My 99 EX is my daily so I didnt want to put a lot of money in to it but I think itd be a cool project. Keep me posted on your decision!
Old 01-21-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Here's a regular flow: https://www.autohance.com/magnaflow-...converter.html

I've read there's no benefit of a high-flow cat on the stock 1.6L engine.