Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

How much gains in low end by going back to stock intake from AEM CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015
got rice?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrOldskool is an unknown quantity at this point
How much gains in low end by going back to stock intake from AEM CAI?

Skimming over these posts. I have a stock '97 ex 1600 with exception of an exhaust header and a long aluminum piped aftermarket intake with a k &n behind the bumper. ( this is the way i obtained the car) It is a little sluggish obviously at low rpm and comes alive at 4k. Since I'm becoming an antique and I'm looking for mpg's more than screaming top end, my city mpg's are about 22 & highway around 34, Should I install a stock intake/filter to help with low end torque/mpg? And does the header effect the low end performance? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: My take on intakes SRI CAI vs Stock

Yes converting back to stock would be best for MPG purposes. The headers will cause increase power in the top end so swapping them out should gain your low end back. Making sure the car is up in maintainance will too.

Driving habits play a big part in MPG. I don't know how much of an increase you will see with swapping back to stock.
Old 02-19-2015
got rice?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrOldskool is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My take on intakes SRI CAI vs Stock

Originally Posted by GolNat
Yes converting back to stock would be best for MPG purposes. The headers will cause increase power in the top end so swapping them out should gain your low end back. Making sure the car is up in maintainance will too.

Driving habits play a big part in MPG. I don't know how much of an increase you will see with swapping back to stock.
Thanks A bunch Gol, maintenance is up to snuff, valves set, timing set, new plugs, but having 244000 miles on the engine it may be a tad low on compression?.. I should be glad im driving a car that gets better than 20mpg now