Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HerpDerp1919 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust help

Okay, im new to aftermarket exhaust. The exhaust on my civic rusted out and dropped at the header. Its loud as hell and i want to quiet it down a bit. Ive looked at aftermarket exhaust but every single one of them has this weird triangle flange on the pipe that would go to my header, what is that for?
heres a link to an item i looked at
http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-95-HONDA-CIVIC-DX-LX-92-00-CIVIC-EX-POLISHED-CATBACK-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-SYSTEM-/141252431465?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CMake%3AHonda&hash=item20e34d0e69&vxp=mtr
Ive also noticed that the triangle connecter is on all the test pipes, would i need to purchase a test pipe as well for this all to fit and hook up correctly? if i do will this mess up my catalytic convertor or mess up my motor?
*I know its ebay and at that price its not gonna last long. But the car isnt in the best shape and i want to make it a little nicer before dropping big bucks on exhaust*
Old 10-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exhaust help

That's a cat back set. The triangle flange would be on the undercar cat....and it loooooooks like that set in the pic is NOT for a car that has the cat on the manifold.

Swing by an exhaust shop and see what they can hook you up with? I've had some stuff done pretty cheap on a few older cars and my truck got some custom bent the way I needed it to be, and installed dual large chrome tips.
Old 10-06-2014
Registered!!

ezone, you are a Civic god. Anytime I post something youre usually the first one to reply. Thank you a ton for that. But yeah, I figured that out. I brought my car to an exhaust shop to see what they could do about quieting it down (exhaust fell off right before my shifter) I saw that the exhaust off the cat is in a triangle. But when it warms up again and I can work outside im just gonna do headers and everything. Any recommendations on a good brand for that?
Old 10-06-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HerpDerp1919
ezone, you are a ..... god.
I've been called some things.....

Anytime I post something youre usually the first one to reply.
Thank you a ton for that.
I have no life. LOL

I brought my car to an exhaust shop to see what they could do about quieting it down (exhaust fell off right before my shifter) I saw that the exhaust off the cat is in a triangle.
Those exhaust shop guys have all the raw material and bending and welding skills to do a far better and more efficient job than I can do, so I farm out that sort of fabrication work whenever I can.

Any recommendations on a good brand for that?
Not from me, I deal with mostly stock stuff.
Old 10-07-2014
Registered!!

Alright lol. This is totally un related but my car is throwing a P0420 code. Saying its a bank one catalyst system running below efficiency threshold. Any idea what that could be? bad cat?
Old 10-07-2014

Alright lol. This is totally un related but my car is throwing a P0420 code. Saying its a bank one catalyst system running below efficiency threshold. Any idea what that could be? bad cat?
I thought you said the pipe broke somewhere....Where's the pipe broke off in relation to the cat and rear O2 sensor?
Old 10-08-2014
Registered!!

The pipe broke off about a foot before where my shifter would be in the car. Its about a foot and a half after the cat and lower O2 sensor
Old 10-08-2014

Um...since this seems to be a new issue since the pipe broke off....I'll say to fix the broken pipe first. There's a possibility that is causing the code, especially if the sensor screws into the exit end of the cat.... (I've seen stranger things in the past.)

If it still sets cat code after repair then I'd expect a bad cat. It IS old and high mileage and all.
Old 10-08-2014
Registered!!

Its an old issue. I had talked to you about it in a different thread with my weird idle issue (in which you were right about it being an idle relearn) so im just gonna let it roll until i get new headers and exhaust.
Old 10-08-2014
Registered!!

Jdm93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how to convert an ex cat back exhaust to my vp?
Old 10-08-2014

Originally Posted by Jdm93
Does anyone know how to convert an ex cat back exhaust to my vp?
Have an exhaust shop fabricate a pipe to make it work?
Seems it would probably be the cheapest and fastest way.
Old 10-09-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Have an exhaust shop fabricate a pipe to make it work?
Seems it would probably be the cheapest and fastest way.
I'm hoping the piping is okay just need a two hole flange instead of a 3 three hole and have it welded on not sure who carries them to fit a 4 in...
Old 10-09-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Jdm93
not sure who carries them to fit a 4 in...
Is the actual pipe 4 inch? Some of those kits say 4 inch. But thats just the outlet size, The actual pipe is like 2 3/4 or so. But the exhaust shop will know what to do or tell you they cant and recommend what to do.
Old 10-11-2014
Registered!!

Is the actual pipe 4 inch? Some of those kits say 4 inch. But thats just the outlet size, The actual pipe is like 2 3/4 or so. But the exhaust shop will know what to do or tell you they cant and recommend what to do.
Yeah it's actually smaller.. I don't understand why vps have to be different then the ex