Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Exhaust Manifold/Cat Replacement - 2000 Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jtdunn4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust Manifold/Cat Replacement - 2000 Civic DX

Just installed a new exhaust manifold/cat part from am autoparts. Got everything bolted up and car starts up and idles fine. BUT I noticed some smoke/vapor rising from the manifold. It's not billowing out... just kinda rising up. It's clear, white, smoke.

Had a few thoughts like maybe the new iron is just getting warmed up or burning off some factory residue?

Or maybe I didn't put the gasket on the right way... is that possible? Both sides looked the same to me.

Or maybe I just didn't tighten the bolts enough! I don't have a torque wrench. Pulled pretty hard but I'm sure I could do harder.

One last question. The support bracket for the flange from the cat didn't line up so I couldn't get the bolt on... is that going to be a major problem??
Old 10-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exhaust Manifold/Cat Replacement - 2000 Civic DX

BUT I noticed some smoke/vapor rising from the manifold. It's not billowing out... just kinda rising up. It's clear, white, smoke.

Had a few thoughts like maybe the new iron is just getting warmed up or burning off some factory residue?
New exhaust parts almost always stink like hell til they have been heated a couple times. And some are coated in some oily stuff from the machining processes.

The support bracket for the flange from the cat didn't line up so I couldn't get the bolt on.
One that bolts to the engine block?
Loosen the other end of the bracket so it can be moved?

Leaving it off COULD lead to premature breakage/failure. The cat is kinda heavy to be hanging without all its supports in place.
Old 10-06-2014
Registered!!

jtdunn4life is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the one bolted to the engine block. I loosened it but still a little off... with a smaller diameter bolt/nut I can get it on. I'll pick one up soon. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-23-2015
Registered!!

fewall11b will become famous soon enough

Don't over tighten the bolts/nuts. Breaking one off in the head will suck big time. Also did you use a new gasket? Using some high temp permatex copper will help seal everything up.