Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Header question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadiancivicsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Header question?

Can anyone please tell me why some of the aftermarket exhaust manifolds for the d17a2 vtec, have a sensor hole in the header? My car is a 2004 civic si 4-door Canadian version equivalent to the ex model elsewhere. I have a magnaflow catback installed, my downpipe rusted out at the flange after my cat so I just ordered a magnaflow cat/downpipe and want to do the header at the same time. The stock down pipe as well as the magnaflow have 2 holes for the 02 sensors so that seems straight forward, just the aftermarket header for some reason have the extra 02 hole
Old 02-24-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Header question?

Because the D17A1 has an integrated cat/exhaust mani, and the upstream sensor is located shortly after the head. Some of the headers you're looking at are probably designed as a "universal" D17 fit, if you will. Likely those are made just to look shiny as opposed to any performance gains.
Old 02-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

just the aftermarket header for some reason have the extra 02 hole
If your application doesn't need to use a sensor hole in that location, don't use the hole.
Old 02-24-2017
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like those are D17A1 headers you are looking at. I did my EX header D17A2 with a DC Sports Ceramic Header. No holes for o2 sensor there on a D17A2 EX 2002 model. For pics visit my garage.

Last edited by SammySC; 02-24-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2017
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Because the D17A1 has an integrated cat/exhaust mani, and the upstream sensor is located shortly after the head. Some of the headers you're looking at are probably designed as a "universal" D17 fit, if you will. Likely those are made just to look shiny as opposed to any performance gains.
I absolutely agree. Those are most likely for looks. You can get those for $60 but they are not equal length pipes and the collector is restrictive. I recommend DC Sports Ceramic 4-1 header. It is not cheap but it's good and it will give you more power.
Old 02-28-2017
Registered!!

Opinions on the obx header for the d17a2? This header has no bung for a 02 sensor. I live in Canada and to ship a header up here from California I'm being quoted between $65-$75usd for shipping alone. Any Canadian members here know a good place to buy one in Canada?

Last edited by Canadiancivicsi; 02-28-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Whereabouts are you in Canada?
Old 03-01-2017
Registered!!

Ottawa
Old 03-01-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I know of a good place in Toronto but I have no clue about Ottawa. Any local car groups you can ask where they get their parts? Or any friends that modify cars?
Old 03-03-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

It makes more sense to tool to fabricate 1 header form that fits two heads than to create two header types. Better for cost, less people returning item because they bought the wrong one.