Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015
Huckin' Hippie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
redrocket87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil pressure?

I just installed a Voltmeter and a Electric Oil Pressure Meter, I was wondering what I should be seeing as far as oil pressure Hi & Low pressure? I own a 2003 Civic DX Coupe 5spd.
Old 11-26-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil pressure?

Oil pressure varies with RPM
Pressure drops with heat

What do you see?
Old 11-26-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Cold at start I see 50 psi, 12 normal, have seen as low as 6 (with needle going up and down) as 5-6 with the oil temp at 230, but that was after 15 minutes in open track day.

It's useful if you do high revs all the time and suddenly the pressure drops. Then it's time to brake and turn it off before it causes more damage.

If you never goes past 5k there's not much advantage.

An oil temp gauge is more useful a s long as you understand how engines and heat transfer happens over time, otherwise you just putting pretty watches

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-26-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2015
PMI
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PMI has a spectacular aura aboutPMI has a spectacular aura about

Just out of curiosity, where/how did you install the pressure sensor for the e-gauge?

I ask b/c I tried this on another car, using an adapter at the oil filter, and the electronic gauge measured completely differently than a mechanics gauge connected to a service plug at the oil pump. Not only did the old-style mechanical gauge not measure the same as my readout, but the difference between the two was not even predictable, or proportional to the rpm.
Old 11-26-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

The easiest one is the adapter at the filter, can't remember any other ways to do in the D17, unfortunately.
Old 11-27-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Remove stock oil pressure switch, screw in adapter "T" fitting, reinstall original switch and connect wiring for the warning light as stock, then connect whatever you have for the gauge.

I've never heard of a filter adapter.....but then I'm old school a lot of the time.
Old 11-27-2015
PMI
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PMI has a spectacular aura aboutPMI has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
..I've never heard of a filter adapter.....but then I'm old school a lot of the time.
There probably is no reason why a real mechanic with access to a lift would want to use one,

They are sold on ebay, just have to look up something like Honda Filter adapter in automotive, or Honda sensor adapter, oil cooler adapter, etc.
I think I got mine from Summit Racing.

On my other car, the area behind the engine where the low pressure sensor screws in was not easily accessible, but there was a plug near the oil pump where a mechanic would connect a conventional oil pressure gauge... no such thing on this engine, I assume?
Old 11-27-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

thats a sandwich type between the block and the filter
Old 11-27-2015

Originally Posted by PMI
there was a plug near the oil pump where a mechanic would connect a conventional oil pressure gauge... no such thing on this engine, I assume?
Not that I've ever seen.

I had no idea a fliter adapter existed. Hell of an idea, someone could make a small fortune.