Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Exhaust Components Sanity Check

Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
protoCall7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Exhaust Components Sanity Check

Hi All,

My exhaust took an impact and it's all kinds of buggered up, so I'm going to take this opportunity to do an LX to EX exhaust swap on my 02 coupe. I've been searching around and reading the FAQ's and was wondering if someone could give me a quick sanity check before I order all of my parts.

If I am understanding correctly, I'll need an EX header. I was looking at the DC Sport 4-2-1's but they appear to come with a downpipe that would eliminate the cat, so I am going with a 4-1 instead:

Amazon.com: DC Sports HHC5019 Silver 4-1 Header with Ceramic Coating: Automotive Amazon.com: DC Sports HHC5019 Silver 4-1 Header with Ceramic Coating: Automotive

From there, I am going with the Random Tech cat/downpipe and the 02 extenders from Casper Electronics, as called out in the FAQ:

http://www.dezod.com/random-technolo.../i-243980.aspx

After that, a cheapo Spec-D catback:

Amazon.com: Honda Civic 2 4 Dr Ex Model Catback Exhaust System 02 03 04: Automotive Amazon.com: Honda Civic 2 4 Dr Ex Model Catback Exhaust System 02 03 04: Automotive

I have read that the LX sway bar may or may not fit with the aftermarket downpipe/cat combo, so I am going to take this opportunity to upgrade the suspension as well:

Amazon.com: Eibach 4.5140.880 Sport-Plus Suspension Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Eibach 4.5140.880 Sport-Plus Suspension Kit: Automotive

I think this should just about cover everything, and allow me to have a fairly bolt up system, correct? If anyone could give the list a once over and let me know if I'm missing anything or making a poor component choice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

proto
Old 07-25-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exhaust Components Sanity Check

Do you have to pass an emissions test? The cat may not be acceptable. I did not see anything stating California CARB compliant.
Depends on your local regs though.

What's the warranty on that cat?
The cat may not last near as long as OE before setting a P0420 code.
Old 07-25-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Also need O2 sensor wire extension harnesses (or DIY extend the wires yourself). Something like this: http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-O...P1767C841.aspx. I'm not sure which length, but I'm pretty sure you can find it somewhere.

Don't forget to get the random tech install kit, as well:->Clicky

As far as the sway bar goes, lurk some RSX forums, see if you can find someone that upgraded their stock RSX 19mm or 22mm sway bar to something bigger. They'll bolt up to the EM2. I have an RSX 19mm rear sway bar with some shiny endlinks, and it bolted right up. I was able to get the sway bar for something like $90.

edit: I can't read, apparently. You already mentioned the O2 sensor extensions. Oh well. There's a link for you.

edit 2: To piggybackon ezone about emissions. I, too, have a random tech cat. From what I gather, it's 49 state legal, so as long as you're not in cali, you're fine.
Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

I have to pass emissions, but they're WA emissions. Every time I have gone in there previously, they just plug into OBD2 and as long as nothing looks out of whack, I pass. Never been asked about CARB compliance on my stuff.
Old 07-25-2015
Registered!!

I've been looking at doing the Eibach SportLine upgrade anyway. Do you know if that kit is all I would need? I'm guessing I'll probably need EX end links and such as well?
Old 07-26-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

front/rear endlinks and the rear sway bar for both LX and EX have the same part numbers. the only different part number is the front sway bar. Made this handy little table for you to compare part numbers.

Name:  kjw2erX.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  77.1 KB

I'm not quite sure what the exact differences between the LX and EX front sway bar is, but I can tell you that they're the same size (since the bushings for the LX and the EX are the same part number, as well).

edit: Heh, WA state emissions. I lived on the Olympic peninsula for 4.5 years. No emissions required. But yeah, should be a plug into OBDII and go. The Random Tech cat passes NV state emissions with that method.

edit²: Used amazon's fit check. Should fit your car.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 07-26-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2015
Registered!!

lol, yeah... I lived in central Washington most of my life and didn't have emissions there either... I guess I should say King/Pierce county emissions

Thank you very much for the table of part numbers, much appreciated :-D
Old 07-26-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Lol, I had "King county?" typed up, but I decided not to send it. Haha