Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ep3 wasting a lot of gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rcontreras7 is an unknown quantity at this point
ep3 wasting a lot of gas

I have a 2002 ep3 and it seems to be wasting a lot of gas I get around 130 miles with half a tank most people say they get on average 32 mpg so I don't know if its just me driving at high rpms sometimes or anything else I use plus gas by the way 87 I think it is
Old 10-23-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ep3 wasting a lot of gas

260 per tank is REALLY low. How often do you punch the gas? My mileage has dropped significantly in the last four years, but it's still at around 350mi per tank.
Old 10-23-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Poopies
260 per tank is REALLY low. How often do you punch the gas? My mileage has dropped significantly in the last four years, but it's still at around 350mi per tank.
I pump half a tank a week I know its really low so idk if its something I'm doing or my car needs something what do you drive
Old 10-23-2014
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

I drive the thing in my signature You haven't been neglecting basic maintenance, have you?
Old 10-24-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You should fil the tank all the way up. Then wait until you have about a quarter of a tank left and fill it back up. Divide the number of miles you have driven by the number of gallons you put in. This will give you a more accurate assessment of mileage.

Are you doing all city driving or highway? The ep3 has a bigger engine and is not as great on fuel economy as the non Si Civics.
Old 10-24-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
You should fil the tank all the way up. Then wait until you have about a quarter of a tank left and fill it back up. Divide the number of miles you have driven by the number of gallons you put in. This will give you a more accurate assessment of mileage.

Are you doing all city driving or highway? The ep3 has a bigger engine and is not as great on fuel economy as the non Si Civics.
I just filled up ima wait to fill up untill I'm almost out and check the millage and also drive at lower rpms
Old 10-24-2014
Super Moderator

Yeah try to shift at like 2500-3000 and avoid punching it. If I had an Si, it would be tough for me not to do that either.
Old 10-24-2014
Registered!!

Yeah try to shift at like 2500-3000 and avoid punching it. If I had an Si, it would be tough for me not to do that either.
That's how I am I can't help myself but to hit higher rpms this car just funto drive wufh the funky loctilocation of the shifter
Old 10-24-2014
Super Moderator

The location is weird... is your air filter clean?
Old 10-24-2014
Registered!!

The location is weird... is your air filter clean?
It should be ima check it out soon
Old 10-24-2014
Former Sponsor

Brandon@fattysmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you throwing any codes? could be a bad 02, bad MAF, or running to rich.
Old 10-24-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Based only on what I've read in this thread from the OP.....The poor gas mileage complaint is probably 99% the fault of the operator.

Lets see what happens when someone drives the next tank of fuel through, calmly and sedately.