Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeeperscreepas is an unknown quantity at this point
Help needed!

Hey everybody! I'm a noob here and I'm just getting started and need info/knowledge on my civic. I have a 02 civic EX with manual transmission and a little bit of work done but not too much. I figured I'd get started here since I'm new. So here goes, I would really like to upgrade my civic, I'm going to go the turbo route eventually but I would like to upgrade my motor first to get a little extra power to make the turbo even more effective. Any info or help on the best routes to go as far as engine performance would be greatly appreciated! I'm not looking to go crazy on it and spend bukoo bucks but I'd like to do a little but do it right! So there's my questions so fire away y'all! I'm sure I'll get a little smack for wanting to upgrade my "so called crappy" d17 engine but it like the car and like the motor so have at it everyone. All advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 07-25-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Help needed!

I'm just going to repost this from a while ago:
Originally Posted by Poopies
Best power/cost: Turbo. Someone else on the forums once said that with a Civic you can get speed, reliability, and a low price, but never all three. You have to decide if you want to go forced induction or stay naturally aspirated. With turbo it seems it's best to fully commit or don't do it at all.

You can consider getting an EX head swap for the VTEC.

You can also just swap the engine out for a more powerful one, if you have the $$$.

Intake/exhaust header/exhaust system upgrade is what most people do first, but the gains are arguable with the D17 engine.

I've seen Stage 1 camshafts from Crower with some good gains on this site.

Just use the search function, or check out the 7th gen category on this site.
I know you already have the EX head but there are tons of other options for upgrading your engine The turbo trumps them all. End of story. Just search around the 7th Gen Basic Engine Performance subforum for more options. Many of the frequent users have their mods posted in their profiles. Check them out too!
Old 07-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeeperscreepas is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help needed!

Thank you for the reply man! I've looked around the forums a lot and saw a few things to do, just made this post to see if anyone had input I hadn't heard or see yet.