Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Rate your intake

Old 04-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
Rate your intake

Ok i'm sick of the intake threads so let's start a thread that has all the info in one.
PLEASE - ONLY RATE THE INTAKE IF YOU HAVE FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE WITH IT.
Please help keep this thread the "go to" place for the important intake information and post questions elsewhere. If you want to search for a particular intake use the "search the thread" button on the top of this thread.

Fit 1 to 5: How well does it fit the car without or with modifications
1=fit like hell, all the way to, 5=fit perfect.

Power 1 to 5: 1=less power than stock, 2=about the same as stock, 3=some gains, 4=very noticeable, 5=Feels like its been boosted

Loudness 1 to 5: Volume 1= Quieter than stock to 5= Loud

After the name is the type and material: SRI = Short Ram Intake, CAI = Cold Air Intake, AS= Aluminized Steel, HAP = Hard Plastic

Misc. will include other info such as heat sheild included or other comments.

Also if you decide to update your review at any time just insert *UPDATE (and the date)*
__________________________________________________ ______________

Iceman - SRI, HAP
Fit - - - - - - 3 (relocated fusebox and rattles against neuspeed strut bar slightly)
Power - - - - 3.5 (torquey intake, nice throughout powerband)
Loudness - - 4
Misc. - - - - it's as good as it's ever gonna get for an intake for the d17. the gains are there but still nothing compared to what other cars get when adding an intake. the gains IMO can be felt beyond 2000 rpms and up. feels torqueier then the FIPK. hard plastic which avoids most of the heat soak and the filter is placed right where the stock location was sucking up air. all i think it needs is a heat shield like the injen universal one.

FIPK - SRI, HAP
Fit - - - - - - 4.5 (heat shield was a little tight, bolts should be tightened periodically)
Power - - - - 3 (no low end loss, slight gain above 3500rpm)
Loudness - - 3.5
Misc. - - - - comes with a heat shield and is made out of hard plastic which avoids most heat soak. no low end loss with slight gains above 3500rpm.

Last edited by kornsined; 04-06-2005 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2005
Jspek Inspired

aznstylez254 is an unknown quantity at this point
Simota - SRI
Fit --------- 4 (the engine mounting bracket snapped off)
Power------- 3 (felt gains starting about 2500rpm)
Loudness --- 4
Misc.------- besides the engine mounting bracket breaking off its ok. Its a SRI with a
CF look cover. power is felt at about 2500rpm.
Old 04-06-2005
nor cal 7thgens

allmotor can only hope to improve
AEM - SRI
Fit --------- 4
Power------- 2
Loudness --- 4
Misc.------- For the money it was a good mod but i wouldnt pay over 130 for an sri. If i could go back i would have just saved my money but alot of people do say the intake makes the engine compartment look nice.
Old 04-06-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
hmm.... this doesnt seem too necessary, we do have a parts/reviews section.
but since it's here to stay......

AEM V2
Fit : 3, touches my battery, bracket broke, rubs against clutch line, clamps dont all fit.

Power : 4, you'll know it's there after 3000 or so RPM...

Loudness : 5, It's loud! Makes my ear ring if I keep it above 5500 RPM with the windows closed.

AEM V2, it's a SRI NOT CAI.

This is a SRI, not CAI. The length is just slightly longer than a stardard AEM SRI.

Last edited by CuRiOuSfIsH; 04-06-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2005
Registered!!

Polocivic2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM CAI

Fiting : 3
Power: 3.7
Sound: 4.5

Well what can i say, aem makes a good intake, its shorter then the cai on my friends lancer, but it does the job great. I can make it kick in just after 4000 rpm and sounds like im hitting INTEC! lolol , its pretty loud considered to when i was stock, especially when im booting it on third gear, and im about 4k rpm, my car really starts pulling around there so im very happy with it!
oh yea im running a 2k4 dx coupe SE!
Old 04-09-2005
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Generic "AS" eBay CAI (AEM copy)
Fit: 1
Power: 2 (Gains? HA!~)
Loudness: 3.5
Transmission: A/T

This is the generic CAI intake you see all over eBay.
It's basically a close copy of the AEM CAI.
We all know AEM doesn't make a CAI for automatics, so watch out for any sellers who claim this intake will fit an automatic.
The top pipe fits in perfectly and can be used as a SRI.
The bottom piping is a bit tricky because the transmission bracket isn't the same for manuals and automatics.
You'll have to bend the bracket out of the way and zip tie the bottom pipe to something so it doesn't bang and rattle on anything.
You won't notice ANY gains on it other than a loss of low end power...you'll hear the car "bog" and will want to floor it a bit more so the car can gain speed.
The filter location is right below the battery tray and near the fan.
I think all it does is blow hot air into the intake.
This is a good buy for any manual owners who want an CAI without the price tag of the AEM.

Injen CAI
Fit: 2
Power: 3
Loudness: 3.5
Transmission: A/T

No wonder AEM didn't produce a CAI for automatics...its a huge bitch to install.
You'll need to take off your front bumper for this one.
You'll need to trim down some plastic for the bottom pipe to fit through.
You'll definitely end up srcatching up the pipes during install.
Most batteries will rub on the intake piping.
Injen should have put more development into this intake.
Functionality wise, I really do love this intake.
The power gains in the top end are noticeable probably due to psychological reasons + my butt dyno.
Floor it and the screaming you'll hear from the engine is nice...although you're only going 35mph lol.

I think SRI's sound louder than CAIs at WOT.
So pick your poison wisely.
Old 04-09-2005
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about
Injen CAI

Fit: 3
Power :4 (I really feel it pushing in high RPMs)
Loud : 4 (pretty loud...)

overall decent intake
Old 04-10-2005
Registered!!

Kizuel is an unknown quantity at this point
Injen SRI

Fit------- 5
Power-- 2.5 (honestly, it feels almost stock)
Loud---- 4.5
Misc----- Good for if you want to sound fast, but everyone will hear when you're accelerating and how slow you actually are. It's still a nice sound though.
Old 04-10-2005
4 cyllinders are good but 5 is better!

GreatWhite02 is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM V2 SRI

Fit- 5 no probs. a little close to the battery at first but adjustments were made
and no problem now
Power- 1 not really noticeable(SRI's take in mostly hot air from the engine bay and dont make noticebale power)
Loud- 4 pretty obvious! constant hissing while idling(that is a good sound) and makes engine rev alot louder and of course that cool little "siiiiiiiewwhh" when you shut your car off
Overall- 3.5 Good for looks and sound and increased fuel economy and thats about it. Ohh it will also save you an air filter each time it needs replacement when you get service. About $10 avg. each time you need a new air filter.

Last edited by GreatWhite02; 04-10-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
AEM - SRI AS

Fit: 5 (Easy install with great fitment.)
Power: 3.5 (Can feel the pull after 3500ish)
Loudness: 3 (I give it a 3 for now with stock header and exhaust...)
Misc: Well worth the $60 used off of eBay with local pick-up.
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

CivicNavigation is an unknown quantity at this point
Vehicle 04 EX Coupe A/T

AEM V2

Fit: 4.5 (for fit in the engine bay) 2( for its own clamps dont fit on the breather hose, i used my own and it worked fine)

Power: 3 ( Some gains, mostly high end but no noticable damage to low end (my opinion))

Loudness: 2-5 (Depends on where your pedal is at, crusing/light acceleration it is quite, hit the gas and it is loud as hell at WOT, sounds cool IMO)

I purchased it off Ebay. Install was easy and with some minor adjusting it fits real nice in the engine bay. Opens things up a lot with no stock air boxes. I also added a stainless heat shield also from ebay. It was 10 bucks and well worth it. It is oriented such that the engine side of the filter is guarded by the shield. I imagine it helps a small amount. I modified the mounting point with some rubber gromets I had. Instead of bolting it directly up as the directions say I isolated the mounting tab with the grommets so it is a friction fit between two rubber discs. I am hoping this will reduce the fatige caused by vibration and prevent the weld from failing like it has on so many V2's. As far as sound, I like the deep note it produces. Under moderate acceleration it is a nice purr and is an improvement over the stock sound. At WOT it can get a bit iritating as it gets very lound. Luckily I am not usually at WOT for long so for the few seconds I need to accelerate hard it is more than tolerable. My best reccomendation, if you decide to go with this intake, be smart when you install it, check clearences and protect it from any hoses or else they will wear into it quickly because of the constant vibration.
Old 04-11-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Injen RD CAI
Fit - - - - - - 2- Went into the car, but was a pain in the ***, rubbed against stuff
Power - - - - 3 - ok up top, not much down below
Loudness - - 3 - only audible above 5K RPM
Misc. - - - - The fitment sucks. It goes in the car, but the battery tray and fender liner rub the pipe and left unchecked will develop a hole behind the filter. Their customer serves also blows *** since they were unwilling to do anything to correct the problem.

Integra GS-R Airbox
Fit - 4 - Gotta move the battery to the trunk, fab up a mounting bracket and make a pipe to mate the throttle body to the end of the GSR arm, but once its done, the box looks like it should have been there to begin with.
Power - 3 - definately has a little more midrange pull. Not much up top unless you pull the airbox lid off, then it works real well at high rev/high speeds. Psudo ram air.
Loudness - Top on - 2 top off - 4 - with the top on, you can't tell much, just the slight sucking sound when you hit the gas, with the top off and your foot on the gas, it'll scream.
Misc - OEM Ghettorigging... there's nothing better.
Old 04-14-2005
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
AEM CAI

Fit: 4
Power: 3(stock) 4.2(w/ exhaust)
Loudness: 4

Didnt really give the power gains i was hoping for with it. Now that i added a 2.25" exhaust, the gains are much more noticable.
Old 04-16-2005
Registered!!

MBison is just really niceMBison is just really niceMBison is just really niceMBison is just really nice
Injen SRI

Fit: 5
Power: 4
Misc: sounds much better combined with my magnaflow exhaust that I've got couple of days ago.
Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

Blue Midnight is an unknown quantity at this point
INJEN SRI
Fit:4
Power:3
Loudness:3
Misc: helped more with gas mileage than performance...

AEM CAI
Power: 4 (with 2.25 piping and Apex N1 exhaust)
Loudness:4
Misc: The best part you can place on your car - Import Tuner 2001
Old 04-22-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
AEM SRI, auto

fit-4
power-1 terrible power loss all over, heat soak, bad filter
loudness-4 sounds ricey as hell
gained 2mpg but stock intake is better

K&N fipk
fit-4
power-3 about the same as stock, better accel. from a stop
loudness-3 not too bad, deep sounding but still very noticable
okay intake, but the sound wasn't worth the few hp gain at high rpms.
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

jaredn is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard cai are bad for auto trannys... is that true?
Old 04-27-2005
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Kizuel
Injen SRI

Fit------- 5
Power-- 2.5 (honestly, it feels almost stock)
Loud---- 4.5
Misc----- Good for if you want to sound fast, but everyone will hear when you're accelerating and how slow you actually are. It's still a nice sound though.

agreed
Old 04-27-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
cai bad for auto tranny? no.
Old 04-27-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
sweet info
Old 04-27-2005
ToX
Registered!!

ToX is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM CAI V1

AEM CAI
Power: 2.5
Loudness:4 (what a nice sound when you floor it, you can hear it suck air in)
Misc: worth evry penny for the sound, powerwize I didnt see much difference
Old 05-03-2005
Registered!!

dxray is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM CAI on 02 DX Sedan
Fit=4 looks like it belongs there but generic strut bar won't fit
Power=2 good after 4000 not so good before 4000
Loudness=4 nice and deep after about 3500
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic 0081.JPG
Views:	642
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	53197  

Last edited by dxray; 05-03-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2005
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
some ebay SRI

Fit 1 to 5: How well does it fit the car without or with modifications
2.5 it was to tall and hit the hood so i had to cut about 1/2 an inch off the pipe where it meets the engine

Power 1 to 5: 2-3 didnt notice any change for low end.. it makes a nice noise from about 2500rpm-4000rpm.. feels like i can accelerate better between 65mph and 75mph but that could just be all in my head

Loudness 1 to 5: 4 between 2500rpm and 4000rpm other than that it sounds the same

After the name is the type and material: SRI, AS

it came missing a clamp but well.. thats no big deal cuz i noticed before i started taking things apart.. after i noticed that it was rubbing and i cut the pipe and then repainted it.. the few extra coats of paint and clearcoat changed the sound a bit.. it had been a lil "tinny" sounding but the paint thickend it up just enough that now i think it has a nice sounds.. the filter also came dry but i hit it with the k&n recharge kit and now i feel that it works just fine

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/PC040031.jpg

i have an auto.. so for whatever "gains" id get off the best intake ever.. its just not worth the money (to me anyway).. it looks nice.. makes a nice sound.. good enough
Old 05-27-2005
Registered!!

badodyssey is an unknown quantity at this point
$11.99 Ebay SRI for 03 Si w/JRSC

Fit- 3

Power - 4

loudness - 2

material - polished stainless

Verdict? worth every penny!
Old 06-02-2005
Registered!!

civic2001mtx is an unknown quantity at this point
7.99 ebay sri intake
fit- 2 rattle against hood when i start it but it was an easy fix
power-3 nothing really in the low rpms but i felt some gains in the higher rpms
loudness-4 i can hear it sucking in air and its pretty loud
Old 06-06-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
AEM SRI for automatic EX (blue AND polished)

fit: 5 - perfect fit on both intakes when i bought them. fits flush with neuspeed front upper strut as well

power: 3 - low end was noticeably lost, but high end was there.

loud: 3 - not so loud, but loud enough to notice you have an intake when driving. its not exhaust or muffler

other: i had heat soaking problems in california. go figure, its an sri. i think a nice heat shield or some heat blocking, this intake would be just as good as the K&N FIRK II.
when driving in the city, everything below 3000rpm was laggy. but anything after, the intake roars and performs well after (mainly after 4.5k rpm)

$114 shipped from www.importhorizon.com (great site to buy parts from btw)
Old 06-06-2005
Premium Member

K&N typhoon SRI metal tube

fit: 5 (hard to get some stuff on, but everything fit the way it should without touching)

power: 3.5 (low end with this intake is better than stock, pulls hard even in 90F weather when the tube is too hot to touch). Hi end is okay, but I might just need to add more fuel. Feels a bit sluggish in upper rpms, but I'm sure more power will come when cold out.

loud: 2 (below 4k rpms you can barely hear it except for a deep rumble. Punch it and everyone's gonna be staring)

overall this intake beats aem sri by far and even feels better than fipk. I have a custom heat shield in the works now to block some engine heat. We'll see what happens on the dyno. I only had a chance to drive in hot weather for now and can still feel gains even with "heat soak."
Old 06-06-2005
-=ELiTe MeMBeR=-

DMikeX will become famous soon enoughDMikeX will become famous soon enough
Injen CAI

Fit= 1 (not so good fit, some modding to make it fit, about 1 1/2 to install pain in the ***)
Power= 3 (it feels better than stock and better that my AEM SRI, not the best power increase, still worth it..
Loudness= 5 (agree; the sound is worth the intake, powerwise (OK)
Verdict= worth the money to me ($80 bucks for it) good sound and ok powerwise, i would take it over sri intake anyday...
Old 06-06-2005
Registered!!

nightcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Ebay SRI - installed today

fit - 1...mine came missing a clamp, filter was garbage (imitation k&n) and wasn't even oiled, "support brackets" don't do crap. Also it comes up really high (when mounted) and i had to really push it down to get it to fit under the hood. Installation was about the most frustrating installing a SRI can get.

sound - 4 ...once it was installed, I definitely knew it was there. Sounds good all around, very loud above 3000 rpm. Sounds excellent combined with my magnaflow. I would reccomend this combination to anybody.

gains - 3...? I think i definitely gained some high end...low end stayed the same.

Overall i think the pain in the *** intallation was justified by all of the money I saved. My car is an automatic, so power gains aren't really making a difference here, but the car does feel quicker. Could just be mental.... Bottom line is you get what you pay for as far as quality of product, but with modification (the fun part!) you can make a decent intake out of this. Just don't order from the ebay seller "m1performance"
Old 07-04-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
AEM - SRI
Fit: 2
Power: 3
Misc.: It looks much nicer now, but I don't thinks it worth the $130. anyway the filter almost rubs on the hood so I am kinda upset. Also with the pipe connected to the TB it wouldnt reach the mounting point. I had to mount it with the screw and let the intake sit about 5mm to the side of the throttle body and tighten the clamps like crazy to get it to fit! AEM should be much better quality.

Last edited by diskreet; 09-18-2005 at 02:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rate your intake