Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Rate your intake

Old 10-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ac_2007 will become famous soon enough
Re: Rate your intake

Its my winter beater so get ready for some rust.

Here comes

My original air filter was browish black.. the previous owner must have been a moron, an idiot, or both. With the cost of this CAI kit ($32) I thought I may as well buy it instead of the OE filter and sell it for a profit when I get rid of the car. Winter is coming so the picture only shows half the piping installed.. so its a SRI as of now.

Loudness? 2. The original airbox with resonator deleted was louder. Sounds okay though. CAI was louder across the board, SRI is more at specific RPM ranges (2.5-4k).

Power increase? 4. My original filter was black.. ofcourse I'd feel a difference.

Fit? 4 for the SRI. 2 for the CAI. This is an AEM replica from what I understand, yet the kit does not come with the modified tranny bracket. Also with the CAI, the filter and piping touches my clutch line.
Old 04-12-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

AEM SRI for EM2
Fit: 4 Great, snug fit, but occasionally rattles on hood. Nothing that can't be fixed with little foam pad!
Power: 3 Only noticeable at high RPM. And it's a D17... what power increase?!
Sound: 5 Greatly improved and deepend exhaust note. Cool whooshing noises on start-up and shut down.
Old 04-20-2012
barrack"YOU WILL LISTEN"...harper"yes sir" lol

Nestori_1485 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey peops, AEM or INJEN???>>>Or does it even matter????? I just got a 04 civic coupe si stock.
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-20-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Nestori_1485
Hey peops, AEM or INJEN???>>>Or does it even matter????? I just got a 04 civic coupe si stock.
Thanks for your input.
All depends on the filter. AEM and Injen are both really good. K&N's filters aren't great unless you buy the expensive ones. Otherwise thy all have the same basic tubes.
Old 04-20-2012
barrack"YOU WILL LISTEN"...harper"yes sir" lol

Nestori_1485 is an unknown quantity at this point

does the splash guard make a differance? I live in a pretty dry area, but id hate to have something happen. also, would it be worth it to put in a better camshaft? i have a good mech that could do it. exhaust and header wise, do you know of a good combo, Id like to ge the best HP results over all with out the bottle rocket sound, im going more for a deep note, and the long term idea is turbo or supercharged. Is there a specific order of operations to make the quickest tuner in my city. any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2012

does the splash guard make a differance? I live in a pretty dry area, but id hate to have something happen. also, would it be worth it to put in a better camshaft? i have a good mech that could do it. exhaust and header wise, do you know of a good combo, Id like to ge the best HP results over all with out the bottle rocket sound, im going more for a deep note, and the long term idea is turbo or supercharged. Is there a specific order of operations to make the quickest tuner in my city. any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Splash guard is effectively useless, your engine bay rarely gets that wet... it might affect air flow too.
I've never worked with camshafts, so I'm no help there... i can assure you the AEM intake has a very deep sound. I've heard on Civics, TCs, Subarus, and Focuses and it generally sounds good on all of engines.
Old 04-20-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

A stage 1 camshaft is well worth it, anything above that requires a significant investment in engine stand alone engine management and the gains are not worth the cost, unless you're going turbo. You cannot go supercharger, unless you somehow modify a d16y8 one, because no one makes a d17 kit. Apexi N1 or WS2 exhausts sound very good, the best header would be a DC Sports Race, but any Megan/DC with a downpipe will do. If you want a fast car, my first move would a be a k-swap.
Old 04-29-2012
Registered!!

ibanez6686 is an unknown quantity at this point

K&N Typhoon SRI
FIT: 1 This thing went on smooth as butter, but it has been rubbing. At first I thought it was okay, but yesterday I realized I HAVE A HOLE IN MY INTAKE!!!!!!!!

I'm going to try to wrap it in header wrap and spray some ceramic coating on it. We'll see how it goes.. If you can help at all on this situation I made a seperate thread..

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4599639

Power: 3 Maybe a little increase in power in the higher RPM's. Kind of hard to tell

Sound: 5 This thing sounds so cool!!! So much louder than stock. I also love shutting the car off and hearing it try to get all of the extra air it can.

Anyone who can help me out please post in the thread I have linked above^^^^^
Old 05-06-2012
Registered!!

InexCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Civic 05 DX coupe
AEM V2

Fit- 1, took about 30 minutes, no hassle at all, looks clean and mean, people always question wtf it is because it looks cool

Power - 2, uhm.. its a civic

Sound - 5, sounds amazing with magnaflow catback, deep throaty roar, screams near redline, love every bit of it

Pros: It came with a sticker
Cons: Still a civic
Old 12-04-2012
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Injen CAI with MR technology (same as AEM V2)
Fit- 4-Slides in just fine, a little bit of a tight squeeze by the battery
Power- Ummmm an intake won't do much, but a little more power
Sound- A lot louder when the throttle is wide open, stays quiet when taking it easy
Old 09-13-2013
Registered!!

awdcivic2 is an unknown quantity at this point

2002 si dremel plus stock airbox, i was skeptical but did the stock airbox mod a couple years ago and it actually did make a difference in sound at least so that means its getting more air, maybe like 1 or 2hp but not much difference cept for sounding better.
Old 02-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Finished making my CAI. I ordered one of these $50 kits off ebay:

Name:  CivicCAI.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  37.4 KB

PROS: it's cheap and you get a lot of pipe to play with. I was planning on doing just a shorty intake and leave the filter in next to the engine so I figured I would have enough to work with.

CONS: Fitment sucks, with using the blue coupler and intake tube the hood would hit the CAI. The holes for the air sensor and vacuum hose suck and don't hold the sensor. Also the vacuum hose that comes with the kit is too small to fit onto the port on the engine (not sure of the appropriate term)

So I also ordered a 3" 90 degree hose coupler and a 1/2" vacuum hose tube to complete my plans.

I cut down the original tube and used a unibit (step bit) to drill 2 holes in the tube. One for the air sensor gasket and one for the vacuum tube, just be careful not to make it so big that the gasket doesn't fit snug. I removed the original air rubber gasket from the factory air box and pressed it in the tube. I also got a 3/8" galvanized pipe nipple from Lowe's and was able to thread it into the hole. Then I thread it some more with a wrench and it felt pretty darn snug but I added some JB Weld to it for good measure.

Name:  CivicCAI1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  86.2 KB

Then just installed the new tube, cute my vacuum hose to length, and extended the wires for the air sensor. I put a K&N RU-4860 on it and took it for a spin. Trimmed the vacuum hose a little cause it had a little kink in it and it's all set.

Name:  CivicCAI2.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  CivicCAI3.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  131.4 KB

Here's the left over parts from the piping, such a waste:

Name:  CivicCAI4.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  106.9 KB

But overall the car runs good and sounds pretty good, a little louder from the 3k - 4k RPM range but not terrible. Sounds about the same at 60mph. I had originally just taken the resinator box off the engine and it droned like crazy around 3500RPM but wasn't terrible at speed.

Name:  airintake1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  114.3 KB
Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

Durvelle27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stock w/ Removed Silencer

Fit - - - - - - 5
Power - - - - 2.5 (Mehh Don't feel a big difference other than what's in my head)
Loudness - - 4 (Sounds great. Gives it a nice deep tone)
Old 01-13-2017
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

K&N Short Ram Air with Heat Shield.
Installation/Fit 5
Power 2
Sound 2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DC header installed 2.jpg
Views:	71