Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Exhaust Advise...Pls Help

Old 08-25-2004
dwi
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust Advise...Pls Help

Aight guys, i want to put some mean **** that would give me a nice a$$ sound but won't make me fail my inspection or mess up my car. A lot of the places where i got to tell me the same joint...that my car has too many sensors and that something could go wrong over some time. Hook me up with some advise you guys. pls hook me up! one!
Old 08-25-2004
dwi

whats up with the advise ya'll?
Old 08-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
So you are only doing this for the sound? Why? If you just want sound, just throw a muffler on there. I guess it doesnt really matter though since getting a exaust doesnt give much gain on our car.

But those shops are BSing you, nothing will go wrong over time. The only sensor we have is the o2 sensor located on the back of the cat, and the o2 sensor located on the header. Well that is how the EX is, I am not sure if the DX,LX are the same. You can replace your whole exhaust system and be fine. The only problems you might run into is the check engine light coming on if you get a high flow cat, the you just get the o2 similator which eliminates the check engine light.

Also with the inspection, it all depends on your shops and what you have on there. Most aftermarket high flow cats will pass inspection. Most places will pass you with a aftermarket exhaust system though. But like I said, it all depends on the shop you go to. Also check your local laws and see what they say. I am not sure how it is in your state compared to others.

But with headers, it is a different story. Some arent CARB legal, and those wont pass inspection.

Last edited by streetglower; 08-25-2004 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2004
dwi

god bless you for saying something. nobody even looked at my **** man. Thank a lot man. I have an EX and i am doing it for sound and about just putting a muffler... i did and it's not loud. i barely hear it. i only hear it when i hit the pedal mad hard. I figured if i got the whole thing it'll sound better. i feel as though i wasted a 150 on something i ain't like. Also, what do you think about taking off the cataconverter? they say i'll definitely fail inspection.

Last edited by DWI; 08-25-2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DWI
god bless you for saying something. nobody even looked at my **** man. Thank a lot man. I have an EX and i am doing it for sound and about just putting a muffler... i did and it's not loud. i barely hear it. i only hear it when i hit the pedal mad hard. I figured if i got the whole thing it'll sound better. i feel as though i wasted a 150 on something i ain't like. Also, what do you think about taking off the cataconverter? they say i'll definately fail inspection.
it is illegal to run your car without a cat converter, and your car wont pass inspection, they probably wont even start the inspection knowing that. But hell the car will be loud as hell though without the cat converter. If you just want sound for the exhaust, remove the resonator and get a straight pipe welded in and then you will here some sound. But if you want the whole thing, then go ahead. You should have just bought a full catback to begin with, but since now that you bought the muffler, you can either get custom piping, or just remove the resonator.

Also give the thread time man, you only posted this an hour ago and it is early morning time, so not many people are on at this time. More people would have responded sooner if it was posted during the day.

Last edited by streetglower; 08-25-2004 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2004
dwi

thanks 4 ur help man. u like the muffler guru. lol. what good catbacks are out there?
Old 08-25-2004
Registered!!

518 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Prod
The reason no one responded is the fact that this has been covered............ 12,000,000 times?

There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of threads with people asking the same question.......... i will throw it out

USE THE DAMN SEARCH BUTTON.

And Street, you're wrong. I do not have a cat on my car, didn't have a cat on my last car............. or the one before.........

It's not illegal.
You beat me to it. enough said.
Old 08-25-2004
Registered!!

bradaven760 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DWI
god bless you for saying something. nobody even looked at my **** man. Thank a lot man. I have an EX and i am doing it for sound and about just putting a muffler... i did and it's not loud. i barely hear it. i only hear it when i hit the pedal mad hard. I figured if i got the whole thing it'll sound better. i feel as though i wasted a 150 on something i ain't like. Also, what do you think about taking off the cataconverter? they say i'll definitely fail inspection.
just a quick question ace.. did u take off the resonator.. the 7th gen civic has a 2 piece exhaust system (makes it more expensive<lame>). The resonator is a seperate piece if you want to take it off.. if you are worried of it being to loud leave the resonator if you are worried bout it being to quiet remove the resonator. No difference really in emissions our cars have ULEV anyhow so it should still pass smog. correct me if im wrong. the muffler idea is good but go to the shop and have them increase the diameter of your piping. I have a 2" pipe with a konig motzart univ muffler and it sounds perfect. nice deep basey sound none of that high pitch ricer cheap ****.

brad
Old 08-25-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Prod
The reason no one responded is the fact that this has been covered............ 12,000,000 times?

There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of threads with people asking the same question.......... i will throw it out

USE THE DAMN SEARCH BUTTON.

And Street, you're wrong. I do not have a cat on my car, didn't have a cat on my last car............. or the one before.........

It's not illegal.
Hmmm, it is very illegal to run your car without a cat coverter. Yes people all the time remove them and replace them with state pipes, but it is still illegal. Here this should tell you something.

Ohio EPA Educates Repair Industry on State Law Regulating
Tampering With Vehicle Pollution Control Equipment

Ohio EPA is continuing to enforce Ohio's anti-tampering law by sending mass mailings to more than 12,000 automotive repair shops and car dealerships, performing anti-tampering inspections, and holding anti-tampering training sessions to certify inspectors.

Ohio EPA sent anti-tampering fact sheets and information to automotive repair shops and auto dealerships to educate them about requirements of the state law. Ohio EPA has been meeting with the recently trained inspectors, and performing inspections throughout the state. In one such inspection,11 vehicles were inspected and three were found in a tampered condition. Similar anti-tampering inspections with every local air agency, district office, and field office as a continuation of recent training to ensure inspection uniformity throughout the state.

Tampering includes acts such as removing the catalytic converter from a vehicle and installing a straight pipe; removing the substrate from inside the catalytic converter, or cleaning it out; removing an air pump or disabling the air pump by removing the air pump belt; or installing a non-standard thermostatic air cleaner.

Under state law, it is illegal to knowingly sell, lease, rent or operate a vehicle in a tampered condition. Individuals, as well as car dealerships, muffler shops and repair facilities are prohibited from tampering with a motor vehicle. This applies to all vehicles and applies to "as is" motor vehicle sales. A person who purchases, rents or leases a tampered motor vehicle may take independent legal action to get their money back on their purchase and recover damages, and in addition, if someone is known to have tampered with a vehicle emissions system, a complaint can be filed with Ohio EPA.

Ohio EPA has the authority to inspect and fine persons who knowingly violate Ohio's anti-tampering laws. Penalties for tampering violations include no less than $500 or more than $2,500 per day, per violation. There also are penalties for not allowing inspectors to perform an inspection.

More information on Ohio's anti-tampering law is available on Ohio EPA's Web site at http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dapc/mobile.html.

Tampering includes acts such as removing the catalytic converter from a vehicle and installing a straight pipe; removing the substrate from inside the catalytic converter, or cleaning it out; Under state law, it is illegal to knowingly operate a vehicle in a tampered condition

And that pretty much goes for any state. If a cop catches you without a cat converter, you will be heavily fined. Like I said though, yea alot of people do it, but it is still illegal to do. Otherwise more people on this site would probably run without one. But most people keep it to pass inspection.

Last edited by streetglower; 08-25-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2004
Registered!!

jfan is an unknown quantity at this point
I think running a car without its catalytic converter has a huge huge fine in California.

But anyway, I guess your car isn't loud because you still have stock piping, the same amount of exhaust gases are still traveling through the same small pipes, and that same amount is just being dumped into a larger muffler. Go get custom piping or just get a cat-back exhaust. I have Tanabe Super Racing Medallion, and I know that one is 50-state legal.
Old 08-25-2004
dwi

Thanks you guys for everything! Ya'll all been cool and forgive me for asking a question that's been asked 12,000 times. if u look i'm still basically a newb but thanks again for ya'll hospitality.
Old 08-26-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
Prod beat me to it too damm him