Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

HP Header installed (pics) EX DIY updated AGAIN with performance review

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
nice. how are the gains with the full header?
Old 01-06-2005
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light
i like the full header it does his work as speaking.tested it against a stoch d17 vtec
and i gain a nice distance till 220km/h dont know exacly how many miles/h that is.
I can say that its a difference at all rpm an it gives some more at high rpm!for now
its working for me till i get boosted...

grtz
Old 01-09-2005
Registered!!

Nimnus is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DaRk_MauL
i like the full header it does his work as speaking.tested it against a stoch d17 vtec
and i gain a nice distance till 220km/h dont know exacly how many miles/h that is.
I can say that its a difference at all rpm an it gives some more at high rpm!for now
its working for me till i get boosted...

grtz
Hi, can advice the brand of the o2 sencor module ? Tks.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

ManUtd0018 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought the HP racing header with cat and i'm experiencing some lagging. Let me explain:

After installing the header, which was super difficult, I connected the o2 sensors without the o2 sims that they provide. I was dumb and didn't know what they were for, and it was late. Regardless, the header hit against the front frame of the car and would vibrate when i braked or when the engine moved forward. So, I removed about a 1/4 inch of frame, melted it off with a torch, where it hit; no biggie.

Vibrating solved. When I drove the car things were fine, no lagging at all, but then after a day the engine light came on. So I call HP and ask them what the little boxes with wires are for and why they are needed. I find out they are o2 sims and trick the engine, and without them my car will lag.
So, i install them according to their directions, but the directions don't say which white wire to connect the o2 sim to since there are two white wires coming from the o2 sensor. So, i connected it. Reset ECU. But know after three days of driving, including freeway driving, the car lags. It seems as if it is not getting enough gas.

I call HP and tell them. Damien, the guy at HP, tells me that I might need a Super AFC fuel 'something or other' in order to opent the fuel line more and for longer.

I decide to give it another day or two, thinking that maybe the ecu is dumb and that it'll adjust to the new extraneous amount of exhuast. Today, the engine light came on!!

Help. Logically, it must be the o2 sims because it was not lagging before i put them on.

Anyone experience this? Did i install the o2 sims wrong?

Also, the header had two locations on the primary tubes for o2 sensors and a third on the "cat" itself. HP said you should plug one. DUH!!! but they don't provide that, and Damien said that a spark plug works. I can't believe they don't provide something to plug the second 02 sensor location on the header

Last edited by ManUtd0018; 01-16-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
yeah it has to be the o2 sims and that hole that needs to be plugged. i don't know why they didn't provide a plug. stupid IMO. i have no experience with the o2 sims so can't help you there. search for a DIY maybe.
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

Pb4uGo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ManUtd0018
HP also has directions using the colored wires in the rear o2 harness, which are all their own color. Use those to make sure you are wired in correcty for the o2 Sim.

Aye, it is a shame about the extra bung, but you could keep the factoryo2s up front and put a wideband sensor into the rear bung. I just plugged it with an extra o2 sensor I had laying around. Having lots of broken cars has it's advantages
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light
i didnt used the o2 module and i have no problem because some @ honda-tech
explained to me that this module just makes your ecu believe that your cat is working
that is al.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

I just removed the o2 sims and the lag is gone.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

It feels as if i lost torque but gained on the high end.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

let it adjust for a few weeks and see. although i thought it would lose more torque then the top portion only header.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

Do you really think that it will take nearly two weeks for the ecu to adjust? i reset the computer already.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

yeah i think so or a least a couple tanks of gas. i mean nothing earth shattering in difference but a enough to know how it has responded to the mod.
Old 03-19-2005
Tejas PimP
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Danger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really nice
~ I had a question for IronFist or whom ever is able to answer, about the header and O2 sensor. I bought a Ceramic Focuz Header and it has a spot in the side of it for what appears to the O2 sensor.. but when you remove the heat shield the sensor is below the header, in what I would assume is the manifold. Question is: When you remove the stock header to add a(n) aftermarket one, does the manifold come off? I bought my header used and there are no instructions with it and I have been unable to find a "Focuz" website to look at instructions. Any imput you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thx ~
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

ok first is this a top portion header or a full race header? what model do you have, LX or EX?
Old 03-19-2005
Tejas PimP

Danger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really niceDanger Mouse is just really nice
Originally Posted by kornsined
ok first is this a top portion header or a full race header? what model do you have, LX or EX?
~ '03 EX ~

~ errr - what ever piece is right behind the heat shield infront of the fan ~
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

there should be no need to touch the o2 sensor. that manifold is actually called the downpipe. maybe you got an LX header because those have the sensor in the header.
Old 03-19-2005
Tejas PimP

Originally Posted by kornsined
there should be no need to touch the o2 sensor. that manifold is actually called the downpipe. maybe you got an LX header because those have the sensor in the header.
~Dats what I thought.... dude was tellin me that when you go to add a aftermarket header that you remove the manifold at the same time and take the manifold O2 sensor and attach it to the header ~

~ Plus there is a O2 sensor attached to the Cat also.. right? ~
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

the guy is right but that's if you have a manifold like the lx. the ex doesn't it has a header. so basically you should have gotten an ex header not an lx header. the cat attached to the downpipe underneath the car has an o2 sensor.
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

Bmkarr is an unknown quantity at this point
if you have the header that goes under your car this is what i did:

there are two sensors on the downpipe/ cat, the one in the engine bay gets pluged into the threaded hole on the bottom of the header just before it bends under the engine, the second one will be pluged into the aftermarket cat you bought

lol sorry i didnt realize you were talking about a totaly dif header

Last edited by Bmkarr; 03-20-2005 at 12:12 AM. Reason: didnt read it right
Old 03-20-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
nice
Old 03-20-2005
Tejas PimP

~ The header I bought looks just like this one ~

Originally Posted by IronFist
Side view:

(notice how much smoother the bends in the HP header are)

~ The header I bought looks just like this one ~
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

Dangerousmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by D17thgen
anybody know how big the diameter of the actual piping is? from the innerside that is, not outside.

im in the market for a header but i dont know wheather i should go with dc 4-1 cermic or the hp cermic. i know the hp got biggers pipes, but with smaller pipes > higher pressure > low end. so if anyone can measure either the hp top portion header, and/or the dc cermic header... i'd appriceate it. 100 pts if u like =D
i just bought a HP full header, and its sitting down in my room ready for the install (great DIY by the way) and its got 1.5" piping on the inside edges, only thing is its for a 6th gen EX, 7th gen might be different

over spring break, i'll be putting it in along with my whole exhaust, ordered a tanabe SRM, custom 2.25" piping, big resonator for pressure and to quiet it down a little lol, and high flow cat, i freakin cant wait... next week!

btw, anyone know if my setup is street legal? i've never had to have a sniffer test done in AR, but i dont wanna have a nasty suprise if something comes up...

Last edited by Dangerousmonkey; 03-20-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2005
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Did you get it installed yet?
Old 03-10-2012
Registered!!

Bpod is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: HP Header installed (pics) EX DIY updated AGAIN with performance review

Originally Posted by IronFist
Updated Performance Review

Another update (I have a lot of posts in this thread).

I think my ECU just finished adjusting to this mod. The other day I was driving after having it installed for about 200 miles and all of a sudden everything seemed faster. I'm talking about more power throughout the entire powerband! I hope it stays this way. This is strange, because I reset the ECU after I first installed it. Oh well. I like it better this way, anyway.

I also got 31mpg on my first tank of gas after installing this (probably 60% highway driving and 40% city driving, but lots of high revving the whole time )
So are you still managing 30+ mpg with all the high revving you do?
Old 01-13-2017
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

DC Sports 4-1 ceramic header on 2002 EM2 EX.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DC sports 4-1 ceramic header.png
Views:	179
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	89393   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC header installed 2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	89394  
Old 06-12-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

I personally like my setup...nice and freekin loud!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20180403_202005.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	112326   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180404_071514.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	112327   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_183100.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.68 MB