Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

HP Header installed (pics) EX DIY updated AGAIN with performance review

Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CrankinCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
so lets say you get a hi flow cat and just before the hi flow cat have a dump put on ... wouldnt that possibly get us around the no cat issue ? which will allow you to put the exhust thru the dump or the cat ?
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

Eeeeeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I got the Megan Racing Header, And I felt similar gains also. I didn't reset my ECU, nor did I try it out right after I got it installed because I had to make a trip up to Colorado. I bought my car up here and when I brought it down to Texas my car felt faster. Maybe because of the alltitude. Anyways, even up here with the Header my car feels faster than it did in Texas. Can't wait to get back to Texas to see how it feels, and also to get my hi flow cat (downpipe)
Old 11-24-2003
Registered!!

BigFrank is an unknown quantity at this point
so the complete HP system comes with a resonator?
Old 11-24-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Jodster said:
It didn't change the sound of your exhaust at all?

Since you're cool, I'll go easy on you. I already said up above:
As for sound, I don't notice any difference at all. I have a stock exhaust, though. MY K&N FIPK II intake is still the same sound/volume I think. So I'm happy with that. I have heard, however, that headers will make an aftermarket exhaust louder. But like I said, I still have a stock exhaust.

Anyway, if you were wondering about a change in sound, no, I don't detect any. But I can't really hear my exhaust anyway when I'm driving, so I wouldn't know.

abmerop18 said:
did you ever do those 0-60 test with your G-Tech on it? i would like to see those.

I haven't had time yet. And unfortunately, I won't get a chance to until after I get my lightweight rims mounted (tomorrow). So any increase in time I get is going to be partially due to the header and partially due to the lighter weight rims.

But, I will definately post my new times once I get them!
Old 11-25-2003
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a used hp racing header for sale $150 shipped only used for 3 months dont need cause im going turbo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7e_1.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	14470  
Old 11-25-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Dude you post that in all of my threads. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but $150 is not the best price for the used header. I paid $130 for mine shipped and it has less miles than yours. You can get them new on eBay for $165.
Old 11-25-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by IronFist
Dude you post that in all of my threads. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but $150 is not the best price for the used header. I paid $130 for mine shipped and it has less miles than yours. You can get them new on eBay for $165.
sorry ironfist i know i am annoying but i really wanna sell this header, alot of threads they are talking about headers the $165 ones on ebay arent hp racing and are cheap and its plus shipping mine is $150 shipped and very good condition less than 10,000 miles
Old 11-25-2003
Registered!!

vvii is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the DIY, i think i properly get my header soon, and i may give it a try to do it myself
Old 11-25-2003
Premium Member

Originally posted by mclean987
sorry ironfist i know i am annoying but i really wanna sell this header, alot of threads they are talking about headers the $165 ones on ebay arent hp racing and are cheap and its plus shipping mine is $150 shipped and very good condition less than 10,000 miles
Alright, well I think this is yours on eBay. Same pic you use. So don't mess up and sell it to two people like some people have done on here before.

Second of all, here it is for $175 shipped on eBay new. Looks like it says HP to me.

And if someone bought it and it wasn't HP like you claim, then the seller would have a nice lawsuit on their hands.
Old 11-25-2003
Premium Member

edit

Last edited by IronFist; 11-25-2003 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-25-2003
Premium Member

btw do you have enough keywords on your auction? Holy crap. It's 39 lines of car parts (29 when I reduce my font to get it to fit on the screen)!

Heh, sorry I'm in an *** hole mood right now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	added.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	14481  
Old 11-25-2003
Registered!!

Eeeeeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
You should get a muffler with bigger piping IronFist. Your Header will work a lot better with the bigger piping and sound better with the muffler. My muffler with bigger piping helped out my CAI, and my 4-1 header helped out both!! The three really work well together.
Old 11-25-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I have always heard that if you just get a top portion header, that it wont actually give you any power, that the only way to get power out of the header is getting the top portion and downpipe, is this true?
Old 11-25-2003
Registered!!

GideoN is an unknown quantity at this point
No, that isn't exactly true. You should get a bigger increase if you get the downpipe but mostly because it is just straight through (OFF ROAD USE ONLY) If you notice the picture that he posted of his OEM header and the HP header, you will notice the larger diameters of the runners increasing airflow allowing exhaust gases to get out faster.

My understanding of it.
Old 11-25-2003
Premium Member

Originally posted by streetglower
I have always heard that if you just get a top portion header, that it wont actually give you any power, that the only way to get power out of the header is getting the top portion and downpipe, is this true?
I don't think this is true for the HP header top portion. If you read my performance review you'll see that I did feel a difference from it.
Old 11-26-2003
Premium Member

Originally posted by Eeeeeeh
You should get a muffler with bigger piping IronFist. Your Header will work a lot better with the bigger piping and sound better with the muffler. My muffler with bigger piping helped out my CAI, and my 4-1 header helped out both!! The three really work well together.
Maybe. I've avoided getting an exhaust because they're really expensive in relation to the amount of gains you get. Plus, I don't want one with a tip bigger than 3", which is hard to find. And finally, they're noisy and attract cops.

But if I found a cheap, quiet, lightweight, small-tipped, gain producing exhaust I'd totally buy it
Old 11-26-2003
Registered!!

one for the kid is an unknown quantity at this point
get the hks hiper exhaust. it's cheap for only $275, it's small, it has that nice jdm-angled look, and it's relatively silent except at higher rpms. i have no idea about gains, it was the first engine mod i got and i didn't feel any gains, but with intake and a header you should feel something.
Old 11-26-2003
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
Do what i did, go to www.mufflertech.com and buy the OBX rear section, i got the model II, but get whichever one you like. The tip is exactly 3 inches but looks smaller on our cars, with just the rear section its noticeable but not loud, and its deep so it doesnt sound like a bunch of bees behind you. But for about $70-150, you can go to a muffler shop and get custom 2 1/4" piping, best bet. You will feel a gain and it sounds good, its basically the same design as a cat-back just a whole lot cheaper!!

Do you have to weld a piece of metal to the header if you have an LX, or will it bolt straight up?

Last edited by civicskater; 11-26-2003 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-26-2003
Premium Member

Originally posted by civicskater
Do you have to weld a piece of metal to the header if you have an LX, or will it bolt straight up?
I have no idea. There's a DIY here somewhere for putting the HP header on an LX, but that was including the piping and everything which becomes illegal since you lose your cat. But it might help you out.
Old 11-26-2003
Registered!!

TonySTiX is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Iron, if i get a HP header without the downpipe is it emissions legal? (02 manual EX)

Edit: From what i've heard on the site, the DC header sux...the HP would be nice to add cause i have a CAI and a cat-back...im hoping its legal, at least the top portion...

Last edited by TonySTiX; 11-26-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2003
Premium Member

Originally posted by TonySTiX
Hey Iron, if i get a HP header without the downpipe is it emissions legal? (02 manual EX)
As has been stated in this thread before, if you get just the top portion it will not replace your cat (on an EX) and therefore should be legal. I don't think anyone is quite sure, however. Someone posted once about a guy who had just the top portion and passed emissions, so it should be all good.

As far as I know, as long as it doesn't replace your cat, it's all good.
Old 11-26-2003
Registered!!

TonySTiX is an unknown quantity at this point
Aight..kool. im gonna search this to be totally sure... ty
Old 11-26-2003
Premium Member

Let us know if you find out for sure.
Old 11-26-2003
Registered!!

Silversleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
wheres the best/cheapest place to buy one new? it seems no one sells these used, at least the shorty with downpipe. i dont care for turbo, i want to build a all motor beast.
Old 11-26-2003
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
it doesnt just matter if they can pass emissions, it matters if it is cvarb legal for Ca at least to pass visual inspection, i mean a turbo should passions emissions but that doesnt mean it would be legal
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by runner1738
it doesnt just matter if they can pass emissions, it matters if it is cvarb legal for Ca at least to pass visual inspection, i mean a turbo should passions emissions but that doesnt mean it would be legal
And you meant to say.....what?
Old 11-27-2003
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
that the header without a carb stamp on it is not legal even if it does not replace the cat
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

Depends on what state really. California...no. They have much tighter laws for emissions than most of the U.S.
Old 11-27-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Silversleeper
wheres the best/cheapest place to buy one new? it seems no one sells these used, at least the shorty with downpipe. i dont care for turbo, i want to build a all motor beast.
i have a used hp racing 4-1 header excellent condition selling for $150 shipped, picture is above
Old 11-27-2003
Premium Member

^ Dude you have shitty feedback on eBay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HP Header installed (pics) EX DIY updated AGAIN with performance review