Part and Product Reviews This forum is for part and product reviews only!

Product review: Evercoat 'Kitty Hair' (For body work)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
Product review: Evercoat 'Kitty Hair' (For body work)

I tried a new product out and thought I would review it here:

The product is Evercoats "Kitty Hair"

I bought this because I needed a filler that was stronger then regular fillers and could close gaps over large areas. Previously I was using Everglass, which is a filler with chopped kevlar in it. The everglass was good, but was only really for small spot repairs etc, even though I used it for more then that. I decided to try the kitty hair. The kitty hair, appropriately named has long strands of fiberglass mixed in with the filler. So when you open the can it looks like a ball of hair.

SO far I've liked the Kitty hair, because it provides the strength of the fiberglass along with the filler, without actually having to mix fiberglass and resin, because if you've done that before you know it's messy and annoying. I like that it's thick because it sticks really nicely to anything at almost any angle. I've been using it for the inside of my fiberglass rear bumper, and when you smear it on it stays where you put it. I was even applying some upside down.

I DON'T like the fact that it cures so quickly, with the correct amount of activator it starts to get hard in what seems like less then a minute. So you have to work quickly. The up side to that is after like 6-7 minutes it's ready to sand, so it dries really fast.

Another good thing is that it sands easily, which is convenient.

Recommended usages:
It is good at closing gaps and holes with no problem, I shaved my next door neighbors eight spoiler trunk holes after he took the spoiler off his s13 in just a couple of hours.

Structural elements, something that needs high strength, or holding capability.

You wouldn't use this kind of filler for fixing door dings, however, I do know for a fact, that the similar version of this product, called tiger hair, with shorter strands of glass in it, IS good for filling gaps such as the door bumper rubber guards that you see on the older generator civics and CRX's. I knew a dude that used the tiger hair to "shave" the door bumper rubber guard things off his CRX.

It's not too expensive. like 20 bucks a quart. Good product overall, sometimes annoying to use because it dries fast, way better then mixing and using actual fiberglass and resin.

questions comments whatever are all welcome.
Old 05-31-2008
Registered!!

513steve will become famous soon enough
Re: Product review: Evercoat 'Kitty Hair' (For body work)

I highly recomend you either weld the holes first, of glass the rear of the repair area, I do paint n body, I too have used this to shave things, and itll hold up for a while, but, it will crack and fall out, also, be sure to use a good primer sealer cause that stuff will soak up the paint and clear as soon as it touches it.

Last edited by 513steve; 05-31-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Dude, can you get some video up of you doing this body work and working with these products? I've always been interested, but when I go to find videos, there really isnt much out there. Pretty pretty please??? lol
Old 06-03-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

^It's funny you asked, because I've been thinking about, for some time now, making some videos about body work. For the exact reason you said, there are none. I was thinking about making a video for filler, sanding, and fiberglass.

Heh, I can just imagine when I go to post them, I'll get flamed by actual body shop people telling me like "WTF! you're doing it wrong!!" then I'll just say "Ok, then YOU make the video!" Ha ha.

513Steve, thanks for the information. I've been using the kitty hair for repairs on a fiberglass bumper, So I'm pretty sure I'm ok.
Old 06-03-2008
Registered!!

513steve will become famous soon enough

If anybody ever has a bodywork question, Im all ears and ready to help as much as possible, just dont wanna see someone bust heir *** and then have it all go to hell in a few months cause it wasnt done right!
Old 06-09-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Thanks for the offer, for me, it's just been, I freakin do everything then learn from my own mistakes because no one knows or wants to tell me, or they want to tell me, but they want me to pay them to work on my car. It's lame ****, I have a question for you, and I'll start a new thread for it.

Before you joined this site, I've posted about how I painted my car three times already, I was pretty bad... Im on the fourth try, and this one is going to be the one I've been looking for.

Here's a link straight to the thread I made. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ml#post4324664

Last edited by Eyger; 06-09-2008 at 11:27 PM.