Part and Product Reviews This forum is for part and product reviews only!

Tokico HP (blues) with stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007
Bone Stock!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Tokico HP (blues) with stock springs

Compared to stock shocks, ride quality is stiffer (sometimes stiffer than I would like on rougher roads) but more stable(less bouncy), especially on the rear. The front and rear feels more balanced too. Ride quality over the very small speed bumps have also improved, but bigger ones remain a pain to go over. It may have raised ride height about half an inch or so. Better handling also with less body lean. Paid $336 for the set of four and $125 for install.

Last edited by dalaw; 07-20-2007 at 01:18 AM. Reason: added prices and pics
Old 07-18-2007
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all
Re: Tokico HP (blues) with stock springs

I am on my second pair of tokico blues. My first pair was installed with H&R springs which were used. My new set up uses tein springs for a smoother ride. These shocks are OK for non adjustables.
Old 07-19-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light

Blues are a good setup for stock springs all the way to drops up to 1.5".. I love mine, on pro-kit springs bumps feel like stock, but I still get the handling of lowering springs... and getting blues and springs seperate are way cheaper than coilovers too

Old 07-19-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

they can handle lower than 1.5, i wouldnt say go any lower than around 2" max
Old 07-20-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well im gonna be posting a review once i get em installed. stock put up a good fight tho almost 2 yrs on lowered prokit (5 yrs total on the car) before finally giving out.
Old 07-20-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

love mine!
Old 07-20-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Blues for the Win.....

I am setting on Blues with Stock springs..
Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

02Civking is an unknown quantity at this point

dumb question, but are the tokicos shocks/struts? I know the spring is different, but people always say replace the struts and shocks...i was under the impression that it was one piece!
Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang
Talking Re: Tokico HP (blues) with stock springs

You have struts on the civic but to answer your question.

Shocks and struts are two different parts that perform similar functions on various suspension systems

Shock absorbers" are physically separated from the car's springs. A "strut," on the other hand, is a shock absorber with a spring that fits around it. Struts are common these days because they save space. But they cost more because the springs have to be removed before the "shock absorber" part of the strut can be replaced. And removing springs is a job that requires special tools--most importantly, a Bronko Nagurski football helmet!

Or:

For strut suspensions, the spring is held by the strutwith the strut providing structural support for thevehicle. Struts are most common on cars. Shocks, on the other hand, are mounted directly to the vehicle’s frame on one end and the lower suspension on the other. Shocks provide no structural support for the vehicle. Shocks are most common on trucks,vans and SUVs.
Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

I did a search and I was kinda wrong, this came directly from KONI's web site.

"Shocks and struts are similar in that they both damp (slow down) the vehicles motion. The key difference of a strut vs. a shock is that a shock only controls the cars motion while a strut is a locating member of the suspension. What this means is that if you remove a shock the spindle or axle will still be completely attached to the vehicle. If you remove a strut the spindle or axle will be able to move outside of its normal motion. Shocks and struts may or may not have a spring mounted to them either. It is often assumed that any damper with a spring is a strut, this is not the case."
Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

so buying the tokico shocks means i will need to buy struts? i was going for tokicos and neuspeed sport springs.. the shocks do come with dampers? a little off topic the drum on the back looks like crap! any high heat paint brands u can think? don't say convert b/c I can't afford it.
Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

The fact that the tokico shock acts as a stress member of your suspension makes it a strut.

So all you will need to do is buy the Blues and rent or borrow a spring compressor, pick up a 12 pack of cold beer, grab a buddie and kill a few hrs...

There is a good DIY somewhee around here. Just do a search for it.
Old 08-19-2007
Registered!!

thanks for the input, 12 pk of Boston Lager sounds good, though I think i'll get a local mechanic to do the spring compression lol. heard too many horror stories about the spring coming off and going through the roof lol....how long do u think it will take someone to put the shocks and the springs on? should i lower first or put the kaminari kit on then lower it?
Old 08-19-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lower first. takes a shop 3-4 hrs if nothing goes wrong. big job. get the set of tokico and lowering spring of your choice below 2 inch drop. i think we have strut in front and shock in rear, doesnt matter youre just replacing it with new stuff
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

I have tokico/stock springs over a year and a half now...I have 215/45/17 wheels and the ride improved dramatically...$325 for parts and installation was free because I did it...got alignment a week after...best money spent..
Old 05-09-2009
Registered!!

Civilized05 will become famous soon enough

devani, $325 is a good price. where did you get em?
Old 05-10-2009
Premium Member

prolly ebay
Old 04-06-2012
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

Finally found your review =D
Great one.
Still trying to find the best deal >.<