HIDs and Retrofitting Discuss HIDs bulbs, ballasts, projectors and custom retrofits here.

Quad retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Quad retrofit

FX-R lows
Mini H1 highs
Morimoto xB LED Angel Eyes (not wired yet)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	86865   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	86866   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	86867  
Old 07-13-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Quad retrofit

That's a lot of light!!
Old 07-13-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

I'd love to see the cutoff pattern at some point!
Old 07-14-2014
Registered!!

Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GolNat
That's a lot of light!!
Haha yeah! It sure is way better than the stock halogen output.

Originally Posted by Poopies
I'd love to see the cutoff pattern at some point!
I only aligned the low beams as best as I could. I was also on a slight slope in a driveway so I had to adjust for that as well. I learned a lot from doing a quad retrofit, and if I ever do a next one, I will do it even better.

Originally, the FX-Rs called for a JB Steelstik/ JB Weld mounting method. However, it would not hold steady at all. Instead, I drilled holes in the reflector and housing and used nuts to hold the low beams in place at a good cutoff with them already in the housing torqued down.

Name:	cutoff low.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	86874  
Old 08-17-2014
Registered!!

Angel eyes

Hey guys. This is an update on my headlights from last month. I had wired the angel eyes but forgot to upload a picture. Well, here are the angel eyes that turn on with parking lights. I figured it would be a good option to wire them like that as there is no DRL relay in our civics unless you are in Canada.

Name:	for the forums.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	86989  
Old 08-19-2014
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Looks great! I use mine all the time!
Old 08-23-2014
Registered!!

Looks great! I use mine all the time!

Thanks! That's awesome.
Old 06-15-2015
Registered!!

I admit it, I did not do the job right. My cutoff sucks, my driver headlight was not sealed proper with butyl rubber. And since I used ebay HID kits, my high beams wont turn on.

Im going to buy four headlights. Use two for temporary, and give the other two to a professional to redo a retrofit for me.
I will take my FX R projectors and re use them for my new retrofit. If I only do low beams, Ill sell the Mini H1s.
Question 1: Would you guys recommend just running one set of projectors (how it looks?

Question 2: Do angel eyes look ricey?

Question 3: Can our alternators handle running HIDs for both low beams, and high beams?

thanks! Im going to do it right this time!
Old 06-18-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

1.) I would for cost but 2 would look cool!

2.) Some people might think so but I dont.

3.) yes it should be able to handle it. The stock alternator can handle an amp and sub ok so it shouldn't have a problem with the HID's.
Old 06-20-2015
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Erf_Em2
Question 1: Would you guys recommend just running one set of projectors?
Bi-Xenon low beams with their solenoids linked up to halogen brights would be pretty badass. If I had an 04-05, I would have done that!

Question 2: Do angel eyes look ricey?
Depends on your definition of "ricey." I love mine, and I get compliments on them from time to time.

Question 3: Can our alternators handle running HIDs for both low beams, and high beams?
GolNat is right, as long as you aren't running 50-inch speakers and a 70-inch TV off the system. :P
Old 09-06-2015
Registered!!

Bi-Xenon low beams with their solenoids linked up to halogen brights would be pretty badass. If I had an 04-05, I would have done that!

Depends on your definition of "ricey." I love mine, and I get compliments on them from time to time.

GolNat is right, as long as you aren't running 50-inch speakers and a 70-inch TV off the system. :P

Just an update on the project.

The guy at Electronic Express is retrofitting the Mini H1s into some TYC brand headlight housings I bought from RockAuto.com. I will probably have them in a month. Currently I am riding around in stock headlights and stock halogen bulbs. I can live with it for now.
I ditched the angel eyes, as I wanted to keep it real simple.
I sold the FX-Rs projectors on Ebay.
While I do agree angel eyes can look nice, I think for the 03-05 models that keeping them simple is the way to go. I'm shooting for the OEM look as if our Civics came with low beam projectors from the factory. The only thing non-OEM would be the housing and trim being painted black.

Btw, I ordered my new HIDs from DDMTuning. I think they were 5000k 35watt with slim ballasts.

Ill post some pics of the retrofit in a month hopefully. I've attached of a pic of what the car currently looks like.

Name:	IMG_0986.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	88053  
Old 09-06-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Not to knock your current route, but a Morimoto mini install in OEM headlights is super easy. Just requires a bit of sanding on the back of the bowl for stock 9006's. Coulda been an easy DIY, just my 2 cents.

skip to 2:35
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rallyeredem0 is an unknown quantity at this point

thats sick, i like the way they look
Old 10-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Good job, I think they look awesome! The double angel eyes are a bit much, I agree. Looking forward to doing an H1 or D2S retro on mine!

Be sure to post the results after they're re done!