HIDs and Retrofitting Discuss HIDs bulbs, ballasts, projectors and custom retrofits here.

goodbye DDM, we wont miss you!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: goodbye DDM, we wont miss you!

ehh i don't know if the car was a total melt down how did he know for a fact it was from his HIDs it sounds fishy to me.maybe he was having a bad day when he made that ''custom'' harness . and if he is a professional why is he using cheap DDM hid's in the first place.

Last edited by lowlife9; 05-05-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i was simply making the point that hids are a serious mod, not something you can throw on without worry. he was using all oem bulbs and ballasts and it was his own personal car.
Old 09-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inifiniteblur is an unknown quantity at this point

just got ddm kit w/ relay and installed it today. they seem much better than my last pair.NO FLICKERING! NO CRAPPY FUSE-HOLDER! only cons are that there were no mounts for the ballasts, and that the relay comes with WAY more wire than necessary. leaving an unprofessional looking bundle of wires and ziptied ballasts. i got the slim ballasts and they seem pretty solid. nothing looks cheap except the shipping boxes and my install job. overall happy customer. i dont care what you guys think about their business practices or the difference in color temp. but it's taken me a freakin year to find good quality ballasts that dont flicker or blow a fuse.
thank you DDM! i will no longer be embarrassed of my flickering mismatched looking headlights!
Old 09-25-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are, they're not flickering because you're now using a relay harness (so your ballasts get ample power), and they don't blow your stock 15A fuse because they're digital ballasts, thus a much, MUCH lower starting current draw.

I, too, had a DDM slim kit, and I was VERY pleased with them.. Then I decided to go with theretrofitsource's Morimoto kit.. Gotta say, I'm much more pleased with the craftsmanship in not only the ballasts, but the relay harness from TRS. I'm not knocking DDM's kits by any means, but I have experienced better aftermarket solutions. One beef I have with DDM is their amphenol to D2S connector.. I had one **** itself on me out of nowhere

As far as your mounting "woes" goes, 3m double sided tape works wonders.
Old 10-09-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Those relays you but from TRS and DDM are a joke. They are made with 16 and 18 awg wire
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I've had a DDM 55w kit for almost 2 years now, and aside from one time when my drivers side light wouldnt come on first try, it's been working perfectly. I ended up getting another 35w kit for my projectors. Finding out that my 8000k bulbs are actually 6000k is kind of a let down, but I decided I wanted 6000k shortly after discovering that light output is cut in half between the two, so in the end, I can't really complain lol.

Let my just say, these are far greater quality than the ones I got from VVME. Those things have been nothing but trouble for me; they have ruined two bulbs, they have repeatedly failed to start, and they are corroded to ****. I am so glad to be rid of them!
Old 11-15-2011
Registered!!

Maglites94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow really glad i read i was just gonna chrck this forum then order a kit lol. Um so where can i get a decent kit relitivly cheap.
Old 11-15-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i really suggest sticking with oem hid hardware, but if you need kit stuff check theretrofitsource.com they have some decent quality parts and best of all the warranty and service if anything happens they take care of you.
Old 11-17-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

ddm is back to being legit. they have fixed their products.

if u want to go cheap, oem doesnt really make stuff for aftermarket (unless u retrofit)

you can just buy the the DDM kit, then if u are still paranoid with the bulb K color, to go theretrosource and order some specific morimito bulb replacement...

or you can just get the morimito

i have ordered 8+ kits from DDM and havnt had a problem with any (for the last 4 years)
Old 03-26-2012
Registered!!

pmjr0987 will become famous soon enough

did not know that about them

so far ive run

two kits in two different regals ive had, 9005 apexicone kits 5k @35watts
one kit in a cougar 9005 5k @35w
one kit in my 06 gsxr and another in a buddys, both slim 55w @ 5k

and know multiple people with them. never heard of or seen or experienced any problems with any of them. these were on daily drivers used every single day never a flicker or issue.
Old 01-12-2015
Registered!!

greenbackz is an unknown quantity at this point

hate to resurrect an old thread but i gotta say, ordered a 55W kit from DDM and within one week i'm already having issues. first off, the hi-low function doesn't work, when i turn high beams on both my headlights just shut off... never had this issue with my cheapo ebay kit. thought maybe i just had to swap the pins on the harness where the stock connector connects to the harness but tried all possible combinations and still no luck.

few days later i notice my driver sid headlight has a "shiverring effect". i had a similar issue with my ebay kit but it is WORSE with this kit lol. ddm suggested i check my grounds and also the hi-beam thing they suspect faulty harness. i checked all grounds and they were fine. i swapped ballasted from side to side to rule out the ballasts for the shivering effect and the shivering was still on the driver side. swapped bulbs side to side and the shivering switched to the other side so i guess it was the bulb..

then today.. one of my headlights doesn't even turn on at all.. so pissed lol

all in all a complete nightmare and i'm probably gonna need a replacement wiring harness, replacement bulbs.. hell might as well just swap the entire kit. also on the website the picture showed DDM on the ballasts but the ones they sent me have no DDM anywhere on them.. i thought DDM was supposed to be good

ps.
the customer service takes FOREVER to reply. i swear my ebay kit was 1/3 the price and had minor issue but NEVER like this lol

+1 for ddm sucking..
Old 01-12-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah... I rocked DDM way back when, and their customer service SUCKS. TRS's customer service, however, is bloody marvelous. They have my business as long as I need HID stuff. I'll shell out the extra cash, knowing full well that they back their products.

Case in point, I had issues with one of my ballasts firing correctly. I e-mailed them about it, and they promptly replied back, telling me that those particular ballasts started showing problems after the temps started dropping. They had already identified the issue, started developing new ballasts, and put me on a waiting list for a pair of FREE replacement ballasts once production was complete, on the condition that I send them pictures of my old ballasts with the cables cut and serial number in full view after I got and installed the new set. I've had zero problems with the new set they sent me.
Old 01-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Yeah... I rocked DDM way back when, and their customer service SUCKS. TRS's customer service, however, is bloody marvelous. They have my business as long as I need HID stuff. I'll shell out the extra cash, knowing full well that they back their products.

Case in point, I had issues with one of my ballasts firing correctly. I e-mailed them about it, and they promptly replied back, telling me that those particular ballasts started showing problems after the temps started dropping. They had already identified the issue, started developing new ballasts, and put me on a waiting list for a pair of FREE replacement ballasts once production was complete, on the condition that I send them pictures of my old ballasts with the cables cut and serial number in full view after I got and installed the new set. I've had zero problems with the new set they sent me.

damn i never heard of TRS before edit: nvm i just realized that it stands for the retrofit source which i've heard of a million times before lol. i wish i saw this thread before buying DDM. I read a lot of good things about DDM from people so i figured they were great. i know a lot of people are saying "well they are only $30 u get what u pay for" and all that.. but i live in canada so it came close to $100 after shipping for my 55W kit. oh yah forgot to mention the bulbs are not even close to 8000K. even with 55W washing out the color there's no way these are 8K bulbs.

again, sorry for resurrecting an old as f*ck thread but i had to vent lol

Last edited by greenbackz; 01-12-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, no, your post is relevant - it tells us that it still is not a good place to go...
it is also completely related to the original post, so we are perfectly fine and happy that you added info here

thanks!
Old 01-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by danwat12345
I've had my 55w "5000K" Raptor HIDs for almost a year now. Going strong.. Very bright. White light not blue at all. The solenoid thingy for high beams work well (bixenon).

cost about $70. I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase.

But I understand that they really only have 4 bulb colors. Very Deceptive, and I hope they change their practices if they choose to continue their HID sales. Good price. Lifetime warranty. 4 choices are fine.

Yellow=QC-9
White = QC-22
Blue = QC-49
Really blue = QC-144
i can confirm this. years later and they still pulling this shyte! ordered 8K bulbs and they sent me the QC-49 which are somehow whiter than my previous 6000K kit.. 8K my *** lol ordered some cheap 10K bulbs off ebay since these clowns wanna charge me shipping both ways to replace anything..