HIDs and Retrofitting Discuss HIDs bulbs, ballasts, projectors and custom retrofits here.

Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini H1 install

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mc670 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini H1 install

quick question.. if these are bixenon projectors, what about if i put them in my 05 headlights since the 05 headlights have separate bulbs for high/low beam? i know its been done, found another thread for it. im just curious with how it works.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...rojectors.html
Old 03-21-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can have double hi beams. just wire the solenoid to the existing halogens.
Old 05-06-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

I know I' m bringing this post back from the dead but I was looking at my Minis and HIDs and this is the first time I do anything like this. I understand everything when it comes to installing the minis and placing the HIDs.
However, nothing was mentioned about the high beam wiring :S kinda confused by that. I'm no engineer so the diagrams don't help me too much (though I can understand them a bit, I just get lost at parts.)

EDIT: K so i just did some more in depth reading trying to figure it out. I want to make a connection (like a wire? what should I use?) between the high and low ground so both are on at the same time. Is that correct?

Last edited by Shift-E; 05-06-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well first you need to make a new wire harness for the hid bulbs (for lo beam, but hi beam uses the same bulb and just lowers a shield in the projector to expose more light). the hi beam solenoid is very low power and can be tapped to the stock hi beam wires. pretty much you can use the wire harness i made for mine. except instead of the hi beam bulb, you will have the solenoid with the two wires.

pretty much you need to make this circuit. go get some 14 gauge wire (bulk) like black and red to tell power and ground, grab a fuse holder and 15 amp fuse (for 14 gauge wire), get some ring terminals to connect the power wire to the battery terminal and the ground wires to the chassis, get some heat shrink tubing, a soldering iron and solder, and heat gun (for the tubing) oh and lots of zipties from home depot and radioshack. just start from the battery and work your way to the ballasts slowly asembling the wiring. leave the fuse taken out until everything is finished. for every connection, use a heat shrink tube or two after soldering the wires together. then put wire loom over it. this diagram works only for 01-03 civics.

Name:  relaydiagram02gb.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  46.9 KB
Old 05-07-2011

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

I got a wiring harness from DDM with the HIDs. I layed out my wiring harness on my bed and plugged the ballasts and hids and layed the minis by it to get a visual of what it will look like in the car. It has everything your diagram shows, but one more thing...

What it looks like is the wiring harness has a blue and black wire for hi/low... which makes me think if the bulb itself is bixenon... It looks as if it has 2 filaments? Is this normal for HID's or do I have a bixenon bulb?

I think I may have bought the wrong HID kit... :S
Old 05-07-2011
Premium Member

i personally would throw away that harness and make your owm using quality components (and bosch relay). ive seen all sorts of problems with cheap aftermarket wire harness. and my harness allows the lo beam to stay on when the hi beam is used. im betting your harness doesnt and when you switch to hi beam, the hid will turn off. hid bulbs are only "one filament" so to speak. it either lights up or not. any pics? the bulb should plug directly to the ballast, then the ballast plugs to the wire harness with a + and - wire for power and ground.
Old 05-07-2011

Originally Posted by gearbox
i personally would throw away that harness and make your owm using quality components (and bosch relay). ive seen all sorts of problems with cheap aftermarket wire harness. and my harness allows the lo beam to stay on when the hi beam is used. im betting your harness doesnt and when you switch to hi beam, the hid will turn off. hid bulbs are only "one filament" so to speak. it either lights up or not. any pics? the bulb should plug directly to the ballast, then the ballast plugs to the wire harness with a + and - wire for power and ground.

I'll upload pics when I get home. The bulb does plug directly into the harness. But then there's 2 extra wires (Blue and Black) which I assume are for high beam?
I probably will make my own harness. Will probably be more reliable like you said, and if anything goes wrong I can just blame myself. There goes 12.50 for the DDM one :P
Old 05-07-2011

Ok, so I took some pictures. I have the harness, the bulb, the ballast and the mini. I took a picture of the bulb alone, one connected to the ballast, and one connected to ballast/harness.

It's the blue and black wire that are with the bulb that I don't know what theyre for. I'd assume to plug into the H4 plug, but why would I need that if I'm not using the bulb for hi/low. If i plug it in without that then the bulb would be on as soon as I turn on the car wouldn't it? At least thats what I understood from your diagram. So my only guess would be that they're for hi/low. Or maybe I have that wrong, it is my first time doing anything like this after all. :S

Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2148
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	80793   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	80794   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	80795   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	80796   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	80797  

Old 05-08-2011
Premium Member

um i dont know what to say about that lol. the two black wires coming directly off the bulb need to go to the ballast. not sure what the other two wires are for with spade terminals. like i said, its best to make your own. that way you can build it to the engine bay so it fits perfectly. ive never been able to properly install even a good quality harness because it requires precise measuring and running the wires around holes and curves. with my diagram, remember the harness trigger wire (86) to the H4 +12v headlight wire is OFF unless you turn the lo beam or hi beam on. only then will the relay energize and send power from the battery to the hids. this is the common power which you need to tap to keep the lo beams on in lo beam and hi beam mode. if you tap one of the other two wires, they will only stay on in lo or hi mode but not both since its a switched ground system. for example, the HI wire is hot when the lo beams are on (so that the hi beams stay off because there is no ground). then when you switch to hi beam, the HI wire becomes a ground (and the hi beams turn on since they have a ground and the power from the +12v wire). +12v wire is hot in both lo and hi beam mode. the LO and HI wires switch from hot to ground depending on the mode youre in. there is no other way you should be wiring them, esp since you need the lo beam to stay on in hi beam mode.
Old 05-08-2011
Premium Member

also if its not clear in the diagram, the relay is for the passenger side only (since its closer to the battery and stuff). notice the main (30) power wire goes to both left and right ballasts. i did this for simplicity, but you could technically make the same thing on the other side too with another relay for the second ballast. this requires another relay and more wiring but ensures that if one relay fails, the other side remains on (so you have one headlight to drive with). with my one relay, if the relay goes out there are no headlights. for me i dont care, because i have separate halogen hi beams wired off the factory harness i can flip on in an emergency. bosch relays are pretty reliable and so far for a year ive never had isues. but you never know.
Old 05-08-2011

So after doing some research I found out the spade terminals are postive and negative that OEM H1 bulbs usually use. So i got to thinking, if its just a positive and negative wire then would I be able to splice the wires from the projector to those and plug those into the H4? Then the wiring harness would look basically exactly like yours. It's just the wire thickness is different. Would that make any difference?

Since I have a wiring harness that looks pretty okay, I wanna try it. Then if I have any problems I can make my own.

What do you think?
Old 05-08-2011
Premium Member

you really should have 14 gauge wire for hid. 16 would work, but over time the wire will eventually fail from too many surges (startup draw). and im not even sure what you would hook up, its very difficult to figure out what that harness is doing. not to mention you do not know the quality of the connections or the relay. so it could just fail one day for no reason. you should only have one wire going to the h4 plug and thats the harness trigger wire to the +12v headlight wire.
Old 05-08-2011

Wow I just realized the harness that i got is 20AWG... Def making my own now. I need to spend a lot more time on this then i expected.

So parts are:
Bosch relay (is there specific name for this relay im looking for? one with 30/85/86/87)
14 AWG wire (how much wire should I be buying?)
15 amp fuse with holder
ring terminals (2? one for battery, one for chassis ground)
heat shrink tubing
wire loom
Spade terminals to put into the H4?

How do I get the plugs that go into the ballast? are plugs like those available at home depot/radioshack?
Old 11-20-2011
I have the OEM version of weight reduction. DX

E®ik will become famous soon enoughE®ik will become famous soon enough

I just thought of an idea. When you get this all figured out, maybe you can come do mine lol

jokes.

So looks like I will be going the MH1 route instead of spending a stupid amount of money on an Acura retrofit.
Old 11-20-2011

Lol, I can def help if you need it. I forgot to update this post. I've got mine all done, up and running since may with no problems.
Old 11-23-2011
felix0315

felix0315 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a complete noob at this.
In fact, I just started looking at repairing and decorating a car that's been sitting on the driveway for 3 years.

I've got a '98 DX.
Given what I've read so far, my concerns are wiring and fitting.

Guess I'll do more research when i have more time.
I'm open to tips too!
Old 11-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by felix0315
I'm a complete noob at this.
In fact, I just started looking at repairing and decorating a car that's been sitting on the driveway for 3 years.

I've got a '98 DX.
Given what I've read so far, my concerns are wiring and fitting.

Guess I'll do more research when i have more time.
I'm open to tips too!
Hey, another person from Vancouver

The wiring and fitting with MH1s isn't difficult, even for a beginner.
Old 03-21-2012
Registered!!

X3R0CO07 is an unknown quantity at this point

you didnt mention about how did you run the wire for high and low beam i just bought the same retrofit from theretrofitsource.com and i have hid kit h1 can tell me if how did do it ?
Old 03-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all

x2. looking into doing this atm... but not sure how to wire the high beam either -__-
Old 03-22-2012
Premium Member

if you have 01-03 civic heres how i did mine. the lo beam needs its own new harness you have to build. the hi beam bulb OR bixenon solenoid can use the stock wiring (for hi beam). www.partsexpress.com has all the ring terminals and bosch/tyco relay and fuse holder you need. its very simple and the hard part is routing all the wiring cleanly and soldering/heat shinking the connections. taking off the bumper is a must. the relay trigger wire 86 for the hids only needs to be tapped to one side +12v wire (i cant remember which side is red and which is red/yel but the battery side passenger h4 connector is easier). the solenoid/hi beam bulb needs to be wired separately at both sides directly to the stock h4 plug wires. the wiring used for 30 and 87 connections need to be heavy 14 gauge. the 86 and 85 can be thinner because these are low voltage triggers for the relay to open and allow power from the battery to reach the hid ballasts.

Name:  relaydiagram02gb.jpg
Views: 3132
Size:  46.9 KB

Last edited by gearbox; 03-23-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

Well i just bought the entire kit from The retrofitsource. It was plug and play and my highbeams and low beams work correctly. Two thumbs up for them.
Old 05-19-2012
Registered!!

qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all

x2, just finished mine as well (:
Old 05-21-2012
Registered!!

DA9_GSR has a spectacular aura aboutDA9_GSR has a spectacular aura about

I just used The Retrofit Source as well. I bought the Morimoto Mini Stage 3 D2S kit from their website. I bought the complete kit.

Here's pictures of the retrofit and the OEM headlights

Old 05-22-2012

Those look sick! But why the D2S and not the H1? Most people ive heard recommend the H1 over the D2S
Old 05-24-2012
Registered!!

KurtzN1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks great! That's next on my list.
Old 06-08-2013
Registered!!

localkineguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know if this is the same for the 6th generation Civic? I notice that the 12V terminal changes between low and high beams turned on. When the highs are on, the low's 12V becomes 0V.
Also what are the proper specs for aiming the headlights? What sort of angle should the cutoff be at?
Originally Posted by gearbox
if you have 01-03 civic heres how i did mine. the lo beam needs its own new harness you have to build. the hi beam bulb OR bixenon solenoid can use the stock wiring (for hi beam). www.partsexpress.com has all the ring terminals and bosch/tyco relay and fuse holder you need. its very simple and the hard part is routing all the wiring cleanly and soldering/heat shinking the connections. taking off the bumper is a must. the relay trigger wire 86 for the hids only needs to be tapped to one side +12v wire (i cant remember which side is red and which is red/yel but the battery side passenger h4 connector is easier). the solenoid/hi beam bulb needs to be wired separately at both sides directly to the stock h4 plug wires. the wiring used for 30 and 87 connections need to be heavy 14 gauge. the 86 and 85 can be thinner because these are low voltage triggers for the relay to open and allow power from the battery to reach the hid ballasts.

Last edited by localkineguy; 06-08-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-16-2014
Registered!!

f22prelude is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
correct.

here is a wiring harness if u want DRLs.

ill draw one up later of a regular wiring harness for our H4s

and here is a diagram of how our H4 socket works

Yo I'm wondering if you ever got around to making the scheme for the regular wiring harness.

I put some ddm ballasts in and wiring them correctly but when I flip on my lights I seem to be getting either only lows or only highs I can't tell since they wont change.

Played with the harness on the ddm side but I can't get anything.

After a long google hunt I came across this old post where it says you need to install a diode, just wondering if I could get a hand/assistance with getting this done.

Thanks peeps.
Old 11-26-2020
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

;one thing that lots of guys wonder (myself included)
Where to mount the relay harness and ballasts.
My choices below:
Ballast: under the headlights, where the frame mounts to chassis:
Name:  poqLvEO.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  985.9 KB
Relay Harness
under the battery tie-down and radiator/headlight frame (Near the fuse box, I have a DRL Hamsar unit... And the other side of the battery, the SRI Air filter is on the way...
Name:  O7XNnxj.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  796.0 KB