Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction methods (Turbos & Nitrous Oxide) and swaps here

Z6 head and Y8 head parts swap

Old 08-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhonda1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Z6 head and Y8 head parts swap

I have a Z6 head that a cam cage assembly female bolt connection that was over torqued and split. Was bum to find this when I went to do a valve cover gasket shortly after buying the car or a project but I guess this is why it is a project, right? Anyways, I also have a Y8 head sitting around that has a good cam cage assembly that I want to use for this Z6 head repair. I know the cam rockers and so forth are not interchangeable but was not to sure about the assembler.
Old 08-11-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Z6 head and Y8 head parts swap

"Cam cage"?
Never heard anything called this name........Post a pic of what you are trying to describe.

Old 08-11-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Rockers and shafts can be swapped if they are identical,

but cam journals are matched (lowers to uppers) and bored as part of the head assembly and cannot be swapped.

Oh hey theres an ad just went up someone in Virginia needs a y8 head--link-- https://www.civicforums.com/forums/8...head-game.html

Last edited by ezone; 08-11-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2014
Registered!!

Cant get the picture to upload. Keeps failing, any ideas on how to solve this problem It is a JPEG but Im using windows 8.1
Old 08-11-2014

Send it to a pic hosting site like tinypic or imigur, then post the link here...

Or click the icon in the bar above the text box and put the image link in there.
Old 08-11-2014
Registered!!

here is the damage

Last edited by Rhonda1; 08-11-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2014

Can't link from your C:\ drive LOL....(at least I've not had that work)

Upload it to a pic hosting site.
Old 08-11-2014
Registered!!

I know LOL it must be something with the app for windows 8
Old 08-11-2014

Oh hell, I see it now

Have you had that cap off yet? Is there a machined cam journal in it?

Could you just use a longer bolt and not tighten it very much?

Got the pieces that broke off? Take them to a welder that can do aluminum?

How about this stuff

or this stuff
Old 08-11-2014
Registered!!

Not sure where the broken piece went to. I drove over 2hrs when I bought it from the guy and it was a turbo built d16z6. Once I got it into my home garage, I popped the hood and started over looking at the maintenance it would need and saw oil leaking at that corner. Went to loosen the bolts on the valve cover and ended up pulling 3 out with no use of a ratchet. I have ben parting the car since for the use on my 95 gas saver ZC civic. Just wanting to overhaul this head to use it on another engine later or possible the ZC block.
Old 08-11-2014

I'd wonder if the missing pieces are swimming on the oil pools in the head, or if they might have gone down the oil return passage nearby.

That head is off now? Have you checked in the block or oil pan?
Old 08-11-2014
Registered!!

I have not fully removed the engine out of the car yet but when I drained the oil, I never saw it floating around. I am parting the car out anyways to make some money for the other project. Just sold my 97 prelude and miss the H22A4 but would like to do a H2B build on a EG hatch. I will remove the Y8 assembly and see how it sits in the Z6 for that part that is broken. I hear the Z6 gets better oil flow and would be best for me since I have the ECU for it already.