Engine Performance Modifications Post information/questions about Forced Induction methods (Turbos & Nitrous Oxide) and swaps here

New Owner, lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bigovie88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation New Owner, lots of questions

I just bout a 1995 Civic Del Sol for $2,000 and want to make it my project car. I have a laundry list of things I want to do but I don't know where to start. I plan to put a new engine in, but I have no idea what kind, size or where to even start looking.
Old 12-07-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Owner, lots of questions

Let me tell you this first, we are only going to help you if you are honestly trying to make it a project car.
Try to learn a bit about engines and how turbos work first

If you say "I want to put a LS1 in here, with 20psi of boost", please get out now

With that out of the way,
What is a priority in your books?
Paintjob?
Interior?
ICE?
Speed?

Del sols arent meant to be fast either, just like civics, if u wanted a little more speed out of it, should have gotten a lude.

Please post pictures of your new ride, and maybe we'll be able to help you.
Old 12-07-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

You need to look at your budget and goals, then go do some crazy research.

An engine swap could run anywhere between a $1000-$15000.
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

My first priority is performance. I'm not trying to do some fast and the furious crap but I would like to be able to get up and go when I'm feeling antsy. I have no idea what you where even talking about with the PSI boost or what ever.
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

Why do I need to do a RWD conversion?
Old 12-07-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Who said you needed to do a RWD conversion?
Thats just part of mind's signature

I'm not positive, but i'm pretty sure you can stuff a lude engine in a del sol with some modifcations.

a bit of header/catback/intake will give you good sound when you hit the gas.

That's all you should do performance wise, del sols arent exactly aerodynamic
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

By lude do you mean Prelude? If so are there different sizes or models
Old 12-07-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Yes, Prelude

I'm not exactly sure on which engine and how it all comes together, as i'm not an engine kind of guy, maybe someone else might be able to answer those questions
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Old 12-07-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

do you want all around performance or fast in a straight line?

straight line, an H22 would do you good. It's heavy, but it'll give you hella pep to your step. With the weight of the engine, it'll hinder handling, hence the straight line emphasis.

For all around performance, a B16 or B18 would be your best bets.
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

I definitely want all around performance, I still plan to use this as an everyday car.
Old 12-07-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

It's not like a H22 would be too much for everyday use, it's just a heavy engine, so your handling would be slightly compromised.

If you could find one for cheap, i'd rock a B18C5 in it (Integra Type-R)
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

What about the K series?
Old 12-07-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I dunno.. just going off of what I found on other forums.
Old 12-07-2010
Registered!!

Cool thanks for the advice.
Old 12-07-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Try to stick with one thread please, it keeps us from bouncing all over the place
Old 12-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. For Del Sol Sexiness, look here:

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?p=416727

http://www.tunedbylorange.com/h22delsol.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bgcanon/3693383872/

Do ANY of these swaps, and you del sol will be FaSt
Old 12-07-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bigovie88
What about the K series?
Do you have $6k for a low end K series swap?
Old 12-07-2010
Kenny the Ricer

I will officially coronate you as a fking BEAST if you manage to do K20 swap.
Old 12-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see that, in person... one day
Old 12-08-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

me too! k20 in a del sol, badass!
Old 12-08-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

start first from the suspension/brakes/tires. They are what will keep you in contact with the rest of the world.
define an idea of the engine you will likely to put in and then you will have an idea of the suspension you will need.
By suspension, i am also referring to the normal maintenance, likely ball joints, bushings, if something is broken, lubbing, sway bar endlinks, etc, etc.
Keep in mind that we are mainly civic's.
Old 12-08-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I've seen it done before, but there really is no point to a K20a del-sol unless your looking for something show quality and money's no object. Remember, unlike an EM2, you can swap a H22 into a del-sol and a type R H22 is 220hp just like a K20a.
Old 12-09-2010
Whachya lookin at?

^ Agree.. but the K20 is hands down the best swap engine... you CAN make it faster. It all depends on how far someone wants to go.
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

lovenwaves182 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok first heres some possibilities BESIDES engine swaps that could really give your car some push.acceleration i found is a key component majority of the time.first, Full cat back,try to get a custom job and get the pipes as straight back as possible.while thats going on,you could get high flow cat,custom headers,custom exhaust manifold,wider throttle body.customize your fuel delivery for better fuel injection.bump up your ignition like msd is a good brand.new flywheels,upgrade clutch assembly and/or tranny.as for engines i would have to agree with the h22 or k20 they both push and you can use them in your everyday car
Old 12-09-2010
Administrator
Administrator

just fyi.. the d-series only has a single exhaust manifold.. and it would be counter productive to get a custom header and exhaust manifold.. just sayin.

also, if you don't have adequate backpressure, the engine will perform like crap
Old 12-09-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

A customer header and exhaust would be insanely expensive compared to a production equivalent and it is completely unnecessary. A larger exhaust often results in inadequate back pressure on an engine with just a couple bolt ons, so all it does is add unnecessary weight. You need a good EMS before you can expect any real performance from adding larger injectors, intake, exhaust and such.

This thread is pointless though, the owner needs to figure out what there budget is and what exactly they plan on doing before the come start asking questions. I'll paint my car with purple house paint if I see the OP drop in a K20a, no offence guys.
Old 12-14-2010
Registered!!

civicnewb is an unknown quantity at this point

come on bomber! purple is not even bad ... that a B/A mopar color.... try hot pink with bright yellow flowers
Old 10-28-2011
Registered!!

hototay888 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm very new in this forum and I'm hoping to get the right answers. I'm in Los Angeles CA.

I was handed down a 97 Civic DX, to cut the chase, I just want to add more horsepower in it, I have no plans to race it, I just need more horsepower in a non expensive way. Pls. advise what to do and where to go to get it done. Thank you.
Old 10-28-2011
Registered!!

Leafsfan16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hototay888
I'm very new in this forum and I'm hoping to get the right answers. I'm in Los Angeles CA.

I was handed down a 97 Civic DX, to cut the chase, I just want to add more horsepower in it, I have no plans to race it, I just need more horsepower in a non expensive way. Pls. advise what to do and where to go to get it done. Thank you.
Putting on an exhaust with a nice header and full exhaust system is basically $500 minimum for maybe .. 10 hp? Also, a cold air intake is good for 5 hp and a good set up is well over $150 where i live. So 650+ for 15 hp, not smart. You have a 4 cylinder, not going to get much out of it unless you do a b18 or h22 swap which could be done for cheap depending on if you can locate a nice running engine.

Quick Reply: New Owner, lots of questions