I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Stupid Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Stupid Brake Lights

94 Civic DX hatch

When I got home from work this morning, and shut off the car, there was a slight whining sound. Sounded like the fuel pump winding down. But it kept going so figured it was the AC system since I don't normally run it in the morning on the way home.

Tonight I go out to leave for work and the brake lights are on. (didn't hear the whining sound but wasn't really listening for it either) Can't shut them off. Pulled the taillight fuse but that had no affect so went under the hood and yanked fuses until I found the right one (They aren't marked and didn't have time to search for the location. Was already late for work)

These are aftermarket LEDs that have been installed for 6 months with no issues.
An extra wire was ran to make the lights in the tailgate function as brake lights as well. (cause the manufacturer believed they came that way stock. A whole other story)

I am guessing either the brake switch is bad or somehow there is now an issue in the wiring in the tailgate.

Any trouble shooting suggestions? Is there an easy way to test the brake switch?

Obviously I can't drive it until I get this fixed.
Old 05-31-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Stupid Brake Lights

Get a volt meter and check for voltage at the switch. Should be voltage on one side until the pedal is pressed and then the voltage can pass through onto the other side.

Or there is voltage on both sides and when the pedal is pressed is goes away on one side.

Not sure if is a NO or NC switch.
Old 05-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The brake light switch makes contact with a small rubber pad on the brake pedal tang. Maybe that rubber pad broke apart and came off?

Are there small chunks of hard rubber on the drivers floor?
Old 05-31-2015
Registered!!

TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
The brake light switch makes contact with a small rubber pad on the brake pedal tang. Maybe that rubber pad broke apart and came off?

Are there small chunks of hard rubber on the drivers floor?
Yes there are. I was wondering what those were. Thanks. I will get one ordered.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-31-2015
Registered!!

It's an auto. I am guessing part 23??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pedals.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	87767  
Old 05-31-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
It's an auto. I am guessing part 23??
That's the one I'd pick.
Old 06-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abb0nz is an unknown quantity at this point

lol, I'll say thanks as well. My daughters car had the problem with the brake lights staying on. When I found the hole I just put a small nut and bolt in there :-)
But now I know what is supposed to be in there I'll get one.