I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

94 hatch LED Tail Light Conversion Question

Old 10-17-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
94 hatch LED Tail Light Conversion Question

So I am replacing my tail lights with LEDs after the damage from the DUI hit and run.

I ordered a set of Spyder Auto Red/Clear lights.
The geniuses at Spyder believe that the lights in the tailgate section have both taillight and brake light functions as well as reverse. I have looked at multiple schematics as well as my own harness and I don't see how a 1157 adapter will fit into a 168 socket. As far as I can tell, the tailgate lights only serve as tail lights and reverse. (their statement was we saw a hatchback on a video on YouTube that had brake light functions on the tailgate so your car must be an off year or something)??? Their advice was modify the car or return the lights as it wasn't their mistake.

Anyway, their crappy customer service aside, I am modifying the car as I think it would be helpful to have additional brake lights here in Vegas because drivers here are just plain blind or stupid (or both)

My plan is to remove the 168 socket and replace with a 1157 socket with the third wire spliced into the main harness brake light wire.

My question is, will the wire feeding the LED brake lights on the quarter panels carry enough current to power an additional set of LED brake lights in the tailgate, or will I need a relay?

Last edited by TiggerDX; 10-17-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2014
Registered!!

TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 94 hatch LED Tail Light Conversion Question

To answer my own question, yes, the stock wiring carries enough current to power 4 sets of LED brake lights.
Old 10-19-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Good to know

I would have guessed yes the wires could carry the extra current since LED's don't carry much current.
Old 10-20-2014
Registered!!

Yeah, I was in the mind set of turn signals and the additional resistance needed to keep the flasher from going crazy. Was thinking these had the additional resistance built in.
Live and learn.