I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

97 Cigarette Lighter Socket Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 97 Cigarette Lighter Socket Help

Ok here is the backround detail, I decided to put some better speakers and a decent head unit in my new civic. Did all the that with no problems. The head unit has an Aux connection which I had running into my iphone.. The battery wouldn't last long so I had a charger coming from the cigarette lighter socket as well..

You can imagine by now, that there were too many wires and it was messy.

So I drilled a small hole in the plastic just below the head unit frame and looped the aux cable back through. It came down to the tray in front of the gear stick where I drilled another small hole so it came out of the shelf. Was very neat.
With the charger I had it coming out of the socket, Ran down below the material of the gear stick and come up at my iphone dock. Also neat.

Now I have decided that I would like to have that socket free and have the charger hidden away under the console somewhere. I bought a cheap socket splitter.. http://www.sourcingmap.com/12v-usb-c...s-p-33625.html .. Quite like that one there and took it apart. Found the positive and negative and thought I would just wire it to the positive and negative of the original in-car socket. So both would work and I could just hide the little unit I bought away under the plastic somewhere.

I took the necessary panels off and got at the cigarette lighter socket. Here is where I ran into trouble. The wiring is a bit strange to me.

I have a white and blue wire running from a plastic connector in the centre at the back of the socket which runs to a connector in the car, I have two black wires running from the side of the socket, one runs to the connector. The other, along with a red wire from the connector, runs to the side of the ash tray and is in a plastic casing. I though it was for a light but I don't know because it has never switched on for me.

Has anybody had any experience doing this. Even I wiring diagram would help but I can't find any that suit me. Its a 97 HB civic if that helps. Thanks guys!